World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
well, that's your take. I think they had a good tournament in '04, but I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as a dominant one. 2008? Heatly Getzlaf and Nash finishing 1-2-3 in tournament scoring meets my criteria more. but no big deal.

Yeah, fair enough. They certainly didn't dominate like that, but they were a very good line.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
true enough. whereas in '08 Nash's puck over the glass penalty was a major gaff. but, **** happens. He made up for it in future more important tourneys. So, all's good.

Yeah, and Nash also probably had an amazing gold medal game against Finland. I still don't know how the ref didn't even put his hand up for a penalty on that 4th goal he got on it. Apparently being tackled isn't enough to draw a penalty in that situation.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He actually isn't even all that slow anymore. They said that about him being in the NHL as well, somehow he hangs around with the fastest players in the league. I'd wager a guess it has to do with the fact he thinks the game faster than pretty much everyone else.

He'd be fine on big ice. It's the not fast/stupid guys you have to worry about.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, It amazes me how people just can't seem to figure this out. Playing on big ice is more of a question of smarts than anything else. Yes, a combination of smarts + good skating would be the ideal, but lacking the ideal, I'm taking Stone over say Evander Kane 10x out of 10. without question!

Stones biggest strength is hockey sense and vision. Bigger ice just allows you to exploit this to a greater degree.

Since January 1st, he's been a point per game winger who leads the league in takeaway. It's safe to say that he's probably been top 5-10 forward in the game since the second half begun in his rookie season.

Just harping on this because you'll all really like this guy once he gets more exposure as we go forward here.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
For me:

Hall -- Crosby -- Stamkos
Benn -- Giroux -- Seguin
Tavares -- Toews -- Carter
O'Reilly -- Getzlaf -- Perry
Bergeron

Keith -- Weber
Vlasic -- Doughty
Brodie -- Subban
Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Fleury

Couture, Nash, Stone & Duchene as last cuts at forward.
Burns, Giordano & Letang as last cuts on D.
Crawford, Luongo & Mason considered.

Three very good two way lines and a top line that could score for fun.
Very, very solid defense.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
For me:

Benn -- Giroux -- Seguin
Bergeron

Keith -- Weber
Vlasic -- Doughty
Brodie -- Subban
Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Fleury

Couture, Nash, Stone & Duchene as last cuts at forward.
Burns, Giordano & Letang as last cuts on D.
Crawford, Luongo & Mason considered.

Three very good two way lines and a top line that could score for fun.
Very, very solid defense.

Changing your forward lines just a bit.

Benn-- Crosby -- Tavares (so strong down low, cycle and grind game like no other)
Hall -- Stamkos -- Seguin (hahaha this line is not fair)
Giroux -- Toews -- Carter (de-facto shutdown line)
O'Reilly -- Getzlaf -- Perry (heavy lifting)
Bergeron

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Changing your forward lines just a bit.

Benn-- Crosby -- Tavares (so strong down low, cycle and grind game like no other)
Hall -- Stamkos -- Seguin (hahaha this line is not fair)
Giroux -- Toews -- Carter (de-facto shutdown line)
O'Reilly -- Getzlaf -- Perry (heavy lifting)
Bergeron

Yeh, I do think with those 13 forwards there are so many nice combinations as they are so versatile and ~8/13 have + defensive games.

I do think that Stamkos would be kicked out to RW though if on the same line with Seguin, with Seguin becoming centre.

I really, really want to see a:

Giroux -- Bergeron

PK unit... that would be unreal. Arguably two of the most statistically effective PKers since the lockout together... and their styles of PKing would very likely compliment each other really well too.

Giroux -- Bergeron
Toews -- Carter
O'Reilly -- Benn
Getzlaf

would be a killer bunch of PKers.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Anyone that doesn't have Toews playing #1 C is crazy

Stamkos Toews Carter
Hall Crosby Bergeron
Benn Tavares Seguin
Duchene Getzlaf Perry

Doughty Weber
Keith Petriangelo
Burns Subban

Price
Fleury

Give them the gold already

hm, I like the D. I wish the coaching stuff played more d-men out of their natural position. Is it such a big deal? I think Burns deserves to play top-six minutes, not just 4 minutes per game as the 7th defenseman. I would love to see that physical dominance with Burns-Weber on the ice. Burns has a hell of a shot, he's also moving fantastically fast for a guy his size.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeh, I do think with those 13 forwards there are so many nice combinations as they are so versatile and ~8/13 have + defensive games.

I do think that Stamkos would be kicked out to RW though if on the same line with Seguin, with Seguin becoming centre.

I really, really want to see a:

Giroux -- Bergeron

PK unit... that would be unreal. Arguably two of the most statistically effective PKers since the lockout together... and their styles of PKing would very likely compliment each other really well too.

Giroux -- Bergeron
Toews -- Carter
O'Reilly -- Benn
Getzlaf

would be a killer bunch of PKers.

That looks very nice. Giroux should have been on the 2014 edition of Canada for special teams duty if nothing else.

hm, I like the D. I wish the coaching stuff played more d-men out of their natural position. Is it such a big deal? I think Burns deserves to play top-six minutes, not just 4 minutes per game as the 7th defenseman. I would love to see that physical dominance with Burns-Weber on the ice. Burns has a hell of a shot, he's also moving fantastically fast for a guy his size.

It's more important on the larger ice surface where the defencemen had other new factors to worry about. A Burns - Subban pairing would also be a pretty big risk, as both guys have it in them to give up big plays from time to time.

I really don't understand why so many people are so willing to get rid of Vlasic. The guy is proven for Canada in a valuable role and is having a very good year. The same thing can be said for Bergeron to a degree. I can't imagine Vlasic not being picked for any edition of team Canada at the moment if he's healthy.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I hope they take Giroux. Feel bad for the guy, he's not going to ever make an Olympic team.

Team Canada 2018 Forwards.

Stamkos Crosby Bergeron
Hall Getzlaf Perry
Benn Toews Seguin
McDavid Tavares Mackinnon
Marleau Nash

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
It's more important on the larger ice surface where the defencemen had other new factors to worry about. A Burns - Subban pairing would also be a pretty big risk, as both guys have it in them to give up big plays from time to time.

I'd personally have Burns with Keith or with Weber.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd personally have Burns with Keith or with Weber.

Those pairings at least make more sense than a Burns - Subban pairing. I would go for the safer route (Pietrangelo, Vlasic, Brodie) over Burns at the moment, but that could change if he continues his hot start. Burns would probably have a dramatically improved chance if teams were allowed to take 25 players. Considering the event is designed to showcase NHL players, I cannot understand why the roster is only 23.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Those pairings at least make more sense than a Burns - Subban pairing. I would go for the safer route (Pietrangelo, Vlasic, Brodie) over Burns at the moment, but that could change if he continues his hot start. Burns would probably have a dramatically improved chance if teams were allowed to take 25 players. Considering the event is designed to showcase NHL players, I cannot understand why the roster is only 23.

Burns has played at 4 WHC. It's time Hockey Canada rewards his loyalty to the program with some reps with the A team in a meaningless tournament.

I don't care if we finish 1st. 2nd. or last in this pre-season exhibition. :) It's time for Burns to cash in his chips for a roster spot on the Big Boy's team.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
For me:

Benn -- Giroux -- Seguin
Bergeron

Keith -- Weber
Vlasic -- Doughty
Brodie -- Subban
Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Fleury

That`s a realistic lineup and will probably resemble what we`ll eventually see in September 2016, but at this point in the season if I were the man in charge I would certainly dump Getzlaf & Perry. My forward group would be:

Benn - Tavares - Seguin
O`Reilly - Toews - Carter
Hall - Crosby - Bergeron
Duchene - Giroux - Stamkos
Stone

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Burns has played at 4 WHC. It's time Hockey Canada rewards his loyalty to the program with some reps with the A team in a meaningless tournament.

I don't care if we finish 1st. 2nd. or last in this pre-season exhibition. :) It's time for Burns to cash in his chips for a roster spot on the Big Boy's team.

It's not the A team. It's the 24 and over team. I don't have a problem with Burns going as long as he keeps his play up. The issue is that there are presumably already several locks (Doughty, Weber, Keith, Subban) and I suspect that two players (Vlasic and Pietrangelo) are also near locks. That leaves one spot. Brodie is also having a very good year on the trash heap in Calgary, plays in a position of need for Canada (defensively responsible LHD) and is five years younger than Burns. I think that Brodie is a better investment for the future, especially with the result not mattering.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal

Canada's right side is locked up. Doughty, Subban and Weber. Burns has not been outplaying any of those guys and there's also Pietrangelo, Seabrook and Letang that can get going and contend as well. Burns has not deserved anything other than a chance to compete for a spot just like the other guys.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Canada's right side is locked up. Doughty, Subban and Weber. Burns has not been outplaying any of those guys and there's also Pietrangelo, Seabrook and Letang that can get going and contend as well. Burns has not deserved anything other than a chance to compete for a spot just like the other guys.

On the offensive side of the puck Burns has outperformed most. All things be equal, I'd take Burns over Letang and Seabrook (who Babcock hasn't got much time for BTW) any day of the week. But not sure if Babcock has time for Burns either. but imo Burns is a far better option than either Letang and Seabrook. I was in San Jose a little while back for a game, Burns has my vote of approval.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Pierre LeBrun's Projected Team Canada Roster:

Hall Crosby Stamkos
Benn Getzlaf Perry
O'Reilly Toews Carter
Seguin Tavares Toffoli
Bergeron

Keith Weber
Muzzin Doughty
Giordano Subban
Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Allen

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14170286/nhl-2016-world-cup-hockey-canada-roster-projections

Thoughts?

Muzzin is criminally underrated since he's overshadowed by Doughty in LA. He's playing unreal hockey right now. The fact that he's a LD helps his cause.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pierre LeBrun's Projected Team Canada Roster:

Hall Crosby Stamkos
Benn Getzlaf Perry
O'Reilly Toews Carter
Seguin Tavares Toffoli
Bergeron

Keith Weber
Muzzin Doughty
Giordano Subban
Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Allen

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14170286/nhl-2016-world-cup-hockey-canada-roster-projections

Thoughts?

Pretty good except Toffoli needs to show more to warrant a spot, Giordano looks terrible and there is no reason to have Muzzin over Vlasic. I don't understand the rush to dump Vlasic.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Hall-Crosby-Giroux
Benn-Toews-Seguin
O’Reilly-Tavares-Stamkos
Couture-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron, Ladd, Carter

Keith-Weber
Giordano-Doughty
Vlasic-Subban
Pietranglo,Brodie

Price-Crawford-Holtby

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Benn - Tavares - Seguin
Hall - Crosby - Stamkos
Duchene - Toews - Giroux
Carter - Bergeron - Perry
Getzlaf/???

I'm not as high on Getzlaf as most are. I don't think he transitions well to wing, and I wouldn't have him over the four centers I have isted. If someone were to be bumped off the roster I posted it would be him, just not sure for who.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Pretty good except Toffoli needs to show more to warrant a spot, Giordano looks terrible and there is no reason to have Muzzin over Vlasic. I don't understand the rush to dump Vlasic.

Sounds like your beef is with Giordano over Vlasic more than Muzzin over Vlasic since Muzzin has outplayed Giodano by a substantial amount this year.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Sounds like your beef is with Giordano over Vlasic more than Muzzin over Vlasic since Muzzin has outplayed Giodano by a substantial amount this year.

I wouldn't pick either over Vlasic, and I like Vlasic next to Doughty.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Canada's depth is so good that you could go with Letang, Seabrook, and Muzzin instead of Pietrangelo, Burns, and Subban, and nothing would change that much, even though Subban is better than Letang, Burns than Seabrook, etc. It's similar to offence. I'm pretty confident that we could go with Spezza, Neal, and Sharp instead of Getzlaf, Perry, and O'Reilly - and nothing would change that much. Just an example.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Canada's depth is so good that you could go with Letang, Seabrook, and Muzzin instead of Pietrangelo, Burns, and Subban, and nothing would change that much, even though Subban is better than Letang, Burns than Seabrook, etc. It's similar to offence. I'm pretty confident that we could go with Spezza, Neal, and Sharp instead of Getzlaf, Perry, and O'Reilly - and nothing would change that much. Just an example.

I disagree.

On their best days, the Spezzas, Neals and Sharps can be as good as a Getzlaf and a Perry, but on their average days, they are a clear step below.

I remember in 2010 when Getzlaf was hurt and almost didnt play. I thought to myself before the tournament that they should add Stamkos for sure instead. Then when Getzlaf played, I underastood why even a 75% Getzlaf was on the team. Just impactful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad