World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Canada (Part III)

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I didn't realize there were back to back games scheduled. You're probably right of that's the case, although it looks like Holtby is #3 right now?

a lot of folks are waking up to the fact that Canada has back to back this week.
A lot of of pressure if we drop the USA game.
Don't understand why they have the schedule like that.
Why aren't we playing the USA tonight? just realized!! it conflicts with american football !! for TV audience

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
a lot of folks are waking up to the fact that Canada has back to back this week.
A lot of of pressure if we drop the USA game.
Don't understand why they have the schedule like that.
Why aren't we playing the USA tonight? just realized!! it conflicts with american football !! for TV audience

ESPN broadcasts Monday Night Football and there is no way they would bump that for Canada-USA, which they want on the main network (not ESPN2, ESPNU, or ESPNews)

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
Hopefully the just ride Price the rest of the tournament. Mostly because I want to watch him against Europe on Wednesday haha.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
I'm definitely in favour of resting Price in the second game of the back-to-back... those are tough on goalies, especially since I'm expecting an active game tonight against a desperate US team.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Crawford getting the start tomorrow. Cool!

Toews? Is probably 1a to Crosby

Completely different kind of players. As far as offensive talent, I would put Tavares ahead of Toews.

Toews all-around game is what gives him elite status.

If you mean that Toews is 1a behind Crosby in terms of their center depth, then yes, absolutely. Those two are probably going to be the last guys off the 2010 Vancouver lineup to be replaced on Team Canada rosters.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
Does Price play in the final round robin game? whether Canada finishes first or second they are rolling over anyone in this tournament....i say give crawford or holtby the game...anybody known why Holtby is number three? The reigning Vezina trophy winner doesnt even dress....strange...

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
With the win last night, Toews record across international tournaments is 47-3-0.

That's uh.... kind of insane.

EDIT:

Also, for as much flak as Team Canada took for selecting Bouwmeester as Keith's replacement, it's turned out to be a pretty sound decision. Thus far he's taken the toughest starts of the Dmen along with Shea Weber (38% in the Ozone, 37.93% in the Ozone, respectively), has the 3rd highest TOI among Dmen behind Doughty and Weber, and has yet to have goal scored against him while he's on the ice.

Granted, the latter part might have something to do with the fact that he's playing behind the Toews line, which also hasn't had a goal scored against them either.

Still, he's performed better and been leaned on more heavily than most people probably gave him credit for.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I thought Giroux was good last night, after struggling to make an impression in the warm ups.

It'll probably be his only game of the tournament which sucks for him, but is fine by me.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Marchand has really suprised me. He is very good player. If he keeps playing good in NHL until 2018, then he should make the Olympic team aswell.

People hate him only becuse he is a pest, but ignores that he is actually a really good player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Between the playoffs and now, it feels like Tavares is hitting a higher gear and rounding out to be that player he was projected to be.

On the other hand, it feels like Stamkos really didn't make the splash we all hoped he would.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Between the playoffs and now, it feels like Tavares is hitting a higher gear and rounding out to be that player he was projected to be.

On the other hand, it feels like Stamkos really didn't make the splash we all hoped he would.

It's really fascinating how Tavares has evolved his game over the years, he's put in a ton of work and it's all manifestating now. This is the best he's ever looked and he looks poised to have a big season. He should be a threat for the Art Ross, but I think he's a bigger threat for the Hart and this could be the year he finally gets it. He has the narrative of being the undisputed face of his team without an elite running mate on his side.

Stamkos came out of the gate much faster, but he seems to be trending down these days. Everyone seemed to consider Stammer as the superior player to Tavares years ago, doesn't seem to the case anymore.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Agreed. From what I've seen at the tournament, I think Tavares will have a great season. McDavid too. This was BEST against BEST, and he looked great. Believe me, he's going to be huuuge this season. Matthews probably too. I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 30 goals and 60-70 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad