World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Canada (Part III)

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Discuss.

Final roster:

Carey Price (28)
Braden Holtby (26)
Corey Crawford (31)

Brent Burns (31)
Drew Doughty (26)
Duncan Keith (32)
Jake Muzzin (27)
Alex Pietrangelo (26)
Marc-Édouard Vlasic (29)
Shea Weber (30)

Jamie Benn (26)
Patrice Bergeron (30)
Jeff Carter (31)
Sidney Crosby (28)
Matt Duchene (25)
Ryan Getzlaf (31)
Claude Giroux (28)
Brad Marchand (28)
Tyler Seguin (24)
Steven Stamkos (26)
John Tavares (25)
Joe Thornton (36)
Jonathan Toews (28)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Discuss.

Final roster:

Carey Price (28)
Braden Holtby (26)
Corey Crawford (31)

Brent Burns (31)
Drew Doughty (26)
Duncan Keith (32)
Jake Muzzin (27)
Alex Pietrangelo (26)
Marc-Édouard Vlasic (29)
Shea Weber (30)

Jamie Benn (26)
Patrice Bergeron (30)
Jeff Carter (31)
Sidney Crosby (28)
Matt Duchene (25)
Ryan Getzlaf (31)
Claude Giroux (28)
Brad Marchand (28)
Tyler Seguin (24)
Steven Stamkos (26)
John Tavares (25)
Joe Thornton (36)
Jonathan Toews (28)

you are hardcore, my man. hardcore.

Wow, Vlasic will soon be hitting the big 30. Pickles is getting up there in age.

Still hate this tournament though and will not watch. :)

since Hockey Canada picked its A-Team. I'll pick what's leftover for my B Team... and I'm not playing Bettman's dumb game of O24 teams.

T HALL J SPEZZA J EBERLE
R O’REILLY C MCDAVID N MACKINNON
L COUTOUR M SCHEIFELE T TOFFOLI
J SCHWARTZ S COUTURIER M STONE
J HUBERDEAU

T.J. BRODIE P.K. SUBBAN
M GIORDANO A EKBLAD
M RIELLY K LETANG
T BARRIE

M JONES
M MURRAY

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I'm really curious about the line-up. I would personally roll four #1A lines equally, without focusing on having a cheking line. Maybe:

Jamie Benn - Ryan Getzlaf - Tyler Seguin
John Tavares - Joe Thornton - Jeff Carter
Matt Duchene - Sidney Crosby "C" - Patrice Bergeron
Jonathan Toews "A" - Claude Giroux - Steven Stamkos
Brad Marchand

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber "A"
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Drew Doughty
Alex Pietrangelo - Brent Burns
Jake Muzzin

Carey Price, Braden Holtby, Corey Crawford

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm really curious about the line-up. I would personally roll four #1A lines equally, without focusing on having a cheking line. Maybe:

Jamie Benn - Ryan Getzlaf - Tyler Seguin
John Tavares - Joe Thornton - Jeff Carter
Matt Duchene - Sidney Crosby "C" - Patrice Bergeron
Jonathan Toews "A" - Claude Giroux - Steven Stamkos
Brad Marchand

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber "A"
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Drew Doughty
Alex Pietrangelo - Brent Burns
Jake Muzzin

Carey Price, Braden Holtby, Corey Crawford

Why would anyone do away with a "checking line" when the "checking line" has been Canada's best line at the last two Olympics? Why would Giroux, a player with RW experience, play centre instead of Toews, who has no wing experience, especially with Stamkos (LW experience) on the line?

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
you are hardcore, my man. hardcore.

Wow, Vlasic will soon be hitting the big 30. Pickles is getting up there in age.

Still hate this tournament though and will not watch. :)

since Hockey Canada picked its A-Team. I'll pick what's leftover for my B Team... and I'm not playing Bettman's dumb game of O24 teams.

Yep, I am a big fan of Canada. I guess it is evident. :laugh:

I am most surprised with Burns being already 31...

I am with you about the feeling of this tournament although I will definitely watch some games, because well, what should I do in September? :laugh: But I don't really care about the outcome of this tournament, about the results, it does not have any relevance to me. And I hate the format, obviously. I love the roster management though. It is a nice warm-up for me with hopefully some entertaining hockey before the NHL season starts. Let's hope for no injuries on this tournament.

+ now I am much more excited because Giroux was finally rewarded and selected for best-on-best tournament so I am very curious to see what kind of role he is going to play and how much he will play. :)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

I am with you about the feeling of this tournament although I will definitely watch some games, because well, what should I do in September? :laugh: But I don't really care about the outcome of this tournament, about the results, it does not have any relevance to me. And I hate the format, obviously. I love the roster management though. It is a nice warm-up for me with hopefully some entertaining hockey before the NHL season starts. Let's hope for no injuries on this tournament.

+ now I am much more excited because Giroux was finally rewarded and selected for best-on-best tournament so I am very curious to see what kind of role he is going to play and how much he will play. :)

Well, you'll only have yourself to blame when this tournament wraps up and Gary Bettman trots out for his press conference and cites the ratings as a reason to continue with the gimmicks next tournament.

I'll be watching baseball and perfecting my BBQ skills on my new deck in September. You can find lots of September distractions if you look hard enough.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

You're our adopted Canadian :yo:.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Wanna see this line:
Benn - Giroux - Seguin

Giroux show his best games when hard tough player next to him. Like Hartnell. Benn is tough boy, but his skills more better, than Hartnell`s.
Benn-Seguin have excellent chemistry wherever they was.
However, Giroux and Seguin quickly found understanding on the WC`15.
At the same time, with playmayker and tough guy on his line, Seguin can use more his pretty shot.

How this line will be on the ice - who knows. But on the paper, it`s seems like deadly option. Opponents can stay home.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wanna see this line:
Benn - Giroux - Seguin

Giroux show his best games when hard tough player next to him. Like Hartnell. Benn is tough boy, but his skills more better, than Hartnell`s.
Benn-Seguin have excellent chemistry wherever they was.
However, Giroux and Seguin quickly found understanding on the WC`15.
At the same time, with playmayker and tough guy on his line, Seguin can use more his pretty shot.

How this line will be on the ice - who knows. But on the paper, it`s seems like deadly option. Opponents can stay home.

I agree. Giroux and Seguin showed great chemistry together at the 2015 WHC, they were dominant.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
There are basically 5 options for Benn and Seguin when projecting rosters. They either play with one of Giroux/Getzlaf/Thornton/Crosby, or they have their own line. Tough to say, every option has something positive in it.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Why would anyone do away with a "checking line" when the "checking line" has been Canada's best line at the last two Olympics? Why would Giroux, a player with RW experience, play centre instead of Toews, who has no wing experience, especially with Stamkos (LW experience) on the line?

it's rather a fantasy projection what I would try in training camp and then in one game to see how it goes. You could easily change it and have Stamkos-Toews-Giroux; or maybe rather Marchand-Toews-Giroux, with Stamkos as 13th forward. More important is what three guys would play together, if you are the coach you then easily adjust the positions/lines as needed, so no biggie... you see, this is the difference here, we just make a line-up we would like to see in the game, but if we were in position like Babcock, you have tons of time to try something at practise, you have the experience form past tournaments, from coach's point of view (that we fans know nothing about) you are IN THE GAME, and you, as an NHL coach, know much more than someone from a keyboard who just watches the game on TV...this is why sometimes we are surprised when we see totally different line combinations than we thought they could be.. :)

I agree that Toews will probably get his own line, possibly with Carter and Marchand, but you never know.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Team Canada should dominate. A World Cup Championship is expected.

If Canada plays Tre Kronor, Suomi, or Russia for the title, it's best-on-best. Canada only loses McDavid. There are no excuses. The European hockey powers have their full choice of roster, this is their "A" team.

The USA is really the only team hit hard by this. The Americans lose significant talent from their roster to the Young Guns.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The US loses only Gaudreau and possibly Eichel. Nothing more. They left Kessel and Johnson, Shattenkirk, Faulk and Yandle on their own, and with how they constructed the team, I highly doubt Larkin or Galchenyuk or Seth Jones or Gostisbehere would make the team if available. Saad maybe, he's big, can score, he maybe could. But that's three players, and only one of them, Gaudreau, is a real game-changer right now that would really play a significant role.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Team Canada should dominate. A World Cup Championship is expected.

If Canada plays Tre Kronor, Suomi, or Russia for the title, it's best-on-best. Canada only loses McDavid. There are no excuses. The European hockey powers have their full choice of roster, this is their "A" team.

The USA is really the only team hit hard by this. The Americans lose significant talent from their roster to the Young Guns.

If a country cannot select even one player that it would have picked, due to the very nature of the tournament, then it isn't best on best. Remove just one 23 or under player from several editions of team Canada and see the results. No Gretzky in 1984. No Lemieux in 1987. No Crosby or no Doughty or no Toews in 2010. Any of those losses changes the result of those tournaments.

leafs1396

Nov 30, 2015
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Tavares-Toews-Stamkos
Benn-Getzlaf-Seguin
Duchene-Thornton-Carter
Giroux

Keith-Weber
Vlasic-Doughty
Muzzin-Burns
Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Crawford

These are the lines I think Babcock will start off with. I personally would make minor tweeks to what I think Babcock will do (For example: I would like to see Stamkos on a line with Crosby because he is one of the teams best snipers and could be dominant with the best chance creator in the world, Crosby!!)

However,
- Bergeron and Crosby were one of the most dynamic pairings towards the end of the olympics in 2014 and Marchand's chemistry with Bergeron and elite speed will allow him to fit well with Crosby's transition game
-Benn and Getzlaf and Perry (sub in Seguin this year) were the best puck possession line at Sochi and Babcock would be stupid not put them back together
- I like Giroux in the 13th forward spot because he is very versatile
- Canada's top 4 d has been virtually locked in since winning gold in sochi so I don't think Babcock should mess with that
- Muzzin and Burns adds a great 3rd pairing as Muzzin's stay-at-home mentality will allow Burns to do what he does best and that is pushing the offensive play from the back end

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
PK should be great.

Bergeron-Marchand
Giroux-Benn
Toews-Carter

And then throw out whoever on D. Vlasic-Pietrangelo would be awesome.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
My lines would be:

Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos (3 of the best in the world. They'll find chemistry)
Benn - Giroux - Seguin (that's a scary secondary scoring line)
Marchand - Toews - Bergeron (shutdown line featuring 2 of the best)
Duchene - Getzlaf - Carter (secondary shutdown line with scoring upside)
Thornton (he can fit in at all 4 C spots)

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Joe's problem? No Italy or Norway to play against.

LOL

I bet Team Canada regrets Jumbo Joe over Hall now...

Terrible decision by HC not to go with Hall, BUT Jumbo Joe !!!!! ...slow motion Joe LOLOL !!!!! I would have rather Stone over Joe....but to pass over Hall, ridiculous

Slow Motion Joe !!!!!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
LOL

Terrible decision by HC not to go with Hall, BUT Jumbo Joe !!!!! ...slow motion Joe LOLOL !!!!! I would have rather Stone over Joe....but to pass over Hall, ridiculous

Slow Motion Joe !!!!!

I like Thornton but can't believe he was picked.

That was a not very well thought out and bad call by Team Canada brass.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
LOL

Slow Motion Joe !!!!!

Slow Motion Joe Needs to remove himself from the Team

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
LOL

Slow Motion Joe !!!!!

Terrible mistake taking Joe....a fast winger would have made much more sense.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Terrible mistake taking Joe....a fast winger would have made much more sense.

Slow Motion Joe needs to grow a pair and REMOVE himself from this Team

The same way he was removed from the Captaincy ...he NEEDS to be removed from this team...

This is ALL TSN who pushed for him

I cant Stand TSN...the same way they are OVER hyping Mathews over Laine...That Laine will be the best in this draft

The Same way the tried to make Eichel/Mcdavid which will Go first crap...LOLOL!!!! looooosers at TSN

Im Glad TSN got outbid 'd for the NHL rights LOLOL !!!!!

Jumbo Joe Slow Motion Joe needs to be removed from this TEAM !!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad