WJC: 2016 WJC in Finland. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Jamaatta

Jan 3, 2016
Semi-final tickets available?

Also I would be interested in buying two tickets for tomorrow's semi-finals. Please contact me if you are interested.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Do the Swedes leave Helsinki soon after the bronze game and do they perhaps take the boat/plane? Would be nice to get some autographs.

Rici

Jan 9, 2013
Helsinki
Do the Swedes leave Helsinki soon after the bronze game and do they perhaps take the boat/plane? Would be nice to get some autographs.

:handclap: Good question. They might have difficulties in finding the right ferry/plane/vehicle. I would go to wait at the Mäntsälä railway station or at the harbour of Tallinn. After the autographs, please help the kids to the right direction. Sweden is West from Finland.

rella

Dec 14, 2013
If anybody has 2-3 tickets to sell to tomorrow's finals, please PM me :)

orphan

Mar 10, 2010
I would be interested on two tickets for the gold medal game. Please PM if you happen to have them to offer :)

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Reminder:

Sell or buy tickets here at your own risk. HFBoards isn't involved in any way.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I wonder how many Canadians that went over are now regretting their expensive trip to Finland? I at least hope they enjoyed Helsinki.

Zero regrets. I didn't come on the sole hope that Canada wins gold, or even medals. I came over to see the WJC, to see the fans, to see the arenas, to experience Helsinki and the Finnish culture, and to just enjoy myself. I've been here once before, on vacation, as I'm Finnish on my mom's side, so this was a chance to do some stuff I've never done before. I accomplished that. Am I disappointed Canada didn't win? Sure. I'm more disappointed in HOW they lost, but that's another story. For Finland to be in the Gold Medal Game means a lot and I'm going to enjoy it. The people in this city have been tremendous (save for the one drunk guy on the Tram last night after the game LOL), the hospitality has been outstanding, and there's nothing I'd change. I have one more fully day here, tomorrow, and I'm going to keep enjoying it.

Lumipanda

Oct 5, 2010
Finland
Are you allowed to leave the arena between the games? Someone somewhere said you're not, but I'm figuring beer is priced at 7-8 euros at the Arena, friends were suggesting going somewhere else between the games.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Zero regrets. I didn't come on the sole hope that Canada wins gold, or even medals. I came over to see the WJC, to see the fans, to see the arenas, to experience Helsinki and the Finnish culture, and to just enjoy myself. I've been here once before, on vacation, as I'm Finnish on my mom's side, so this was a chance to do some stuff I've never done before. I accomplished that. Am I disappointed Canada didn't win? Sure. I'm more disappointed in HOW they lost, but that's another story. For Finland to be in the Gold Medal Game means a lot and I'm going to enjoy it. The people in this city have been tremendous (save for the one drunk guy on the Tram last night after the game LOL), the hospitality has been outstanding, and there's nothing I'd change. I have one more fully day here, tomorrow, and I'm going to keep enjoying it.

Sounds nice! Luckily you Canadians probably don't mind the cold - I hate this classic little Helsinki wind in this freezing weather, they say the windchill will be close to -30 degrees today and tomorrow... Helsinki is so much more nice in the summer when there is 20hrs of sunlight and people actually are having fun outdoors.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Are you allowed to leave the arena between the games? Someone somewhere said you're not, but I'm figuring beer is priced at 7-8 euros at the Arena, friends were suggesting going somewhere else between the games.

Of course you are. Just remember to let the ticket attendants scan your ticket when you leave and then you can re-enter later.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Are you allowed to leave the arena between the games?

They had staff on the doors 'nullifying' the tickets (at least yesterday) so you could re-enter with the same ticket.

Interesting experience to clear the stadium between the games. 10 000 people (Swedish too were there) roaming the pathways...

Sounds nice! Luckily you Canadians probably don't mind the cold - I hate this classic little Helsinki wind in this freezing weather, they say the windchill will be close to -30 degrees today and tomorrow... Helsinki is so much more nice in the summer when there is 20hrs of sunlight and people actually are having fun outdoors.

And summer is once a year. Fooking hell, buddies, someone is hoping for rain and slush to continue like in the previous three months.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
And summer is once a year. Fooking hell, buddies, someone is hoping for rain and slush to continue like in the previous three months.

Nope, but it's annoying that from slush and rain we go immediately to the other extreme - why not have a nice -5 to -10 degrees without this disgusting breeze... And summer might be once a year, but at least it lasts about 3 months.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I don't mind the cold, to an extent. If it's -10C or something, I can deal with that. Yesterday, though, was -15C with a windchill on top of that. I went from my hotel on the west side to the Market Square downtown and, by the time I got back, I was sore. Just walking into the wind was painful. This morning I woke up and saw the temperatures were -22C. I had planned on going back downtown, but nope, too cold for me. I can get to Hartwall easily with two Trams, save me from walking more than I need to in this weather.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Once again winter has come to our aid in a time of need and this is how you welcome it...

Before anyone freezes to death I would suggest wearing multiple layers of clothing. Buddies, remember the time when we had to work night shift in -30 celsius and lower? That was nothing compared to winter war temperatures.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004

The weather is never truly terrible in Helsinki. It's never really rainy or windy, if you compare it to places on the Atlantic coast for example. The rain in Quebec or the prairie winters in Winnipeg are a lot worse.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
The weather is never truly terrible in Helsinki. It's never really rainy or windy, if you compare it to places on the Atlantic coast for example. The rain in Quebec or the prairie winters in Winnipeg are a lot worse.

Sure, but this combination of wind, rain, sleet and utter darkness can get to you - if Helsinki would be situated in Canada it would be about 300 miles north of Churchill...

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Sure, but this combination of wind, rain, sleet and utter darkness can get to you - if Helsinki would be situated in Canada it would be about 300 miles north of Churchill...

Yeah, darkness is probably the most annoying thing. Otherwise I'm not complaining, winters are far worse in Norway or the UK coast.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Finland is such a backwater what comes to appreciating the WJC vs. Skoda Cup and all that second and third rate hockey rooted by the rubes with their Carelian Caps. :help:

That is IMO a myth that can be generalized to almost every nation.

Finnish ice hockey fans appreciate the U20 WJC, but that does not get normally much TV time on general channels. In general, ice hockey is too heavily "hidden" in different quite expensive channel packets. If one wants to see international tournaments, national league, NHL and KHL, there are three different channel packets to pay for it.

In every country there are tournaments that gain more interest than others and for example Calder Cup or Memorial Cup might be more important to some NA fans than for example WJC. The relation on the team and the series is in general more important issue than the quality of the game itself. Otherwise everyone would watch only NHL, World Cup and Olympic Games hockey.

A lot of Finns are not hard core fans of ice hockey, but do follow the international tournaments - WHC, WJC, WC and Olympic Games. For them it is not about the quality of the play, but cheering for the national team. The same goes with basketball or football - a lot of people follow only the games of the national team. I can´t blame them - there is no criteria of being a "good hockey fan".

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Once again winter has come to our aid in a time of need and this is how you welcome it...

Before anyone freezes to death I would suggest wearing multiple layers of clothing. Buddies, remember the time when we had to work night shift in -30 celsius and lower? That was nothing compared to winter war temperatures.

I don't know what you're talking about. Feels great out today! My walk to Hartwall was awesome. Always fun to grow an ice and snow beard in 15 minutes.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Helsinki is pretty much as far north as Anchorage,Alaska and you can still go 1100km to north from Helsinki... Last time the sun was up in Utsjoki was 27th of november and the next time you'll see the sun is january 17th :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad