WJC: 2016 WJC in Finland. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's maybe true but the players are also the future stars of the sport, whereas for example team Finland in the Skoda cup usually tends to be represented by players like Veli-Matti Savinainen etc. and some players like for example Doughty pass, to go for a vacation instead.

What I'm trying to say is that the WJC tends to be more interesting in my opinion since all of the players are super motivated to perform infront of scouts.
It's also more of a best-on-best tournament than the WC, with most of the best players being in the SC playoffs during the annual WCs (Yes, I know that the best players below 20 can't attend the WJC either, because of playing in the NHL but that's after all, not all too many)

I'm not saying that I don't watch WC games also but for example; Finland winning the WJC was in my opinion a much greater achievement than winning the WC.

Not really. Because player development especially among European countries tends to be cyclical, that means some countries can have real stinker of a team in multiple years. With the Worlds, most of the best players are these days more or less available because there's only 8 or even only 4 teams remaining in the playoffs and if you look at the past 5 years, most of the best have been palying at the Worlds or would have been available.

Last edited:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Not really. Because player development especially among European countries tends to be cyclical, that means some countries can have real stinker of a team in multile years. With the Worlds, most of the best players are these days more or less available because there's only 8 or even only 4 teams remaining in the playoffs and if you look at the past 5 years, most of the best have been palying at the Worlds or would have been available.

But it's not a winter classic like the WJC; and I cannot stress too much the fact and in the WJC you really can make your own scoitong and evaluation of all the wanna-be-stars of the game before their breakouts.

Pgust

Nov 19, 2013
Stockholm
After watching the FIN - RUS game I saw that huge "Gigantti" sign, I find it funny that Gigantti is named differently in every Nordic country. Elkjøp, Elgiganten, Elko, Elding.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Not really. Because player development especially among European countries tends to be cyclical, that means some countries can have real stinker of a team in multile years. With the Worlds, most of the best players are these days more or less available because there's only 8 or even only 4 teams remaining in the playoffs and if you look at the past 5 years, most of the best have been palying at the Worlds or would have been available.

Yes it is.

Player development pace in general might differ from country to country, but at the given time the teams competing are put together amongst the best U20 players from each country. Only the very few exceptional players who are matured enough to represent their NHL teams are left out.

Also, while only a handful of NHL teams are competing in the NHL playoffs before the WHC ends, not all of the WHC eligible NHL players have the energy or interest to join in for their national teams (especially after a hard fought series loss). And if they do participate, they sometimes simply lack the spirit to give their best competing effort. This practically never happens with the junior players at the WJC, the compete is there which why the games tend to be more intense and entertaining (IMO of course).

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
After watching the FIN - RUS game I saw that huge "Gigantti" sign, I find it funny that Gigantti is named differently in every Nordic country. Elkjøp, Elgiganten, Elko, Elding.

The difference is though that "GIGANTTI" is the one of them which ROCKS! :yo:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes it is.

Player development pace in general might differ from country to country, but at the given time the teams competing are put together amongst the best U20 players from each country. Only the very few exceptional players who are matured enough to represent their NHL teams are left out.

Also, while only a handful of NHL teams are competing in the NHL playoffs before the WHC ends, not all of the WHC eligible NHL players have the energy or interest to join in for their national teams (especially after a hard fought series loss). And if they do participate, they sometimes simply lack the spirit to give their best competing effort. This practically never happens with the junior players at the WJC, the compete is there which why the games tend to be more intense and entertaining (IMO of course).

Did you not pay any attention to our WJC teams between 2006-2014? We had some real stinkers out there.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Did you not pay any attention to our WJC teams between 2006-2014? We had some real stinkers out there.

For the most part it was because our player supply was a stinker during those years.

We were missing two big names in Määttä and Barkov in 2014, but I don't recall having similar player absences in other years during that timespan.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
For the most part it was because our player supply was a stinker during those years.

We were missing two big names in Määttä and Barkov in 2014, but I don't recall having similar player absences in other years during that timespan.

That's my point. The player supply is better senior level even though it mey be dependant on NHL player availability. In juniors, if you have a crappy age group, you're screwed. E.g. our 00-01s looked rather hopeless agaisnt Sweden just recently.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
That's my point. The player supply is better senior level even though it mey be dependant on NHL player availability. In juniors, if you have a crappy age group, you're screwed. E.g. our 00-01s looked rather hopeless agaisnt Sweden just recently.
It was '00 team. None of the players were 2001. But yes I agree, it's hopeless group atm.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011

That's still a best-on-best tournament. Best players of the age group are playing. Even if team Denmark or team Finland sucks for a particular age group, it is still a best-on-best tournament.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's still a best-on-best tournament. Best players of the age group are playing. Even if team Denmark or team Finland sucks for a particular age group, it is still a best-on-best tournament.

But there's technically more best players available on senior levels, not just from NHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
More best players? Like...like...what?

In theory there's better palyers available on senior level than juniors. Meaning if we don't have player X from NHL available, we can pick a player from other European leagues instead. In juniors we don't have that kind of depth available.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

Yeah but in world juniors the teams can make full use of the player supply. If you have a crappy age group in a particular year you still get to choose the best players available from that group.

To be more exact, the WJC are a best-on-best junior tournament. The WHC aren't best-on-best in any sense of the word. No doubt the teams at WHC are given more flexibility in player selection and the scale of the selection is much larger, but they are also subject to drastic limitations meaning the rosters that are actually put together end up being rather mediocre in relation to what was available.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
To be more exact, the WJC are a best-on-best junior tournament. The WHC aren't best-on-best in any sense of the word. No doubt the teams at WHC are given more flexibility in player selection and the scale of the selection is much larger, but they are also subject to drastic limitations meaning the rosters that are actually put together end up being rather mediocre in relation to what was available.

I think the key word is "junior". The play and the teams are of so much higher quality among the top-8 WHC teams than here that the whole comparison is bit silly. Lots of mistakes, lots of undisciplined play, many immature players. It's great fun to watch, but it's not my idea of high quality top hockey.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think quality of play depends on how you're looking at it. I've been watching junior hockey for 24-years and, after watching a few live NHL games, I'd stick with junior hockey. The passion is higher in juniors. Is the talent as great? Obviously not, but you can't beat the drive these guys have on most nights.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I think the key word is "junior". The play and the teams are of so much higher quality among the top-8 WHC teams than here that the whole comparison is bit silly. Lots of mistakes, lots of undisciplined play, many immature players. It's great fun to watch, but it's not my idea of high quality top hockey.

No one is arguing that.

The quality of play is definitely arguable though depending on how one determines "quality of hockey." If in your mind the better performance, the better quality.. then sure you're right. But I personally factor in merits such as intensity level and entertainment value. Also, the display of skill is usually more common in world juniors because the talent gap between the best and worst players is bigger, meaning the most talented players get to showcase their skills more often.

Immaturity, undisciplinary, more mistakes, they all just add up to the entertainment factor. No one wants to watch perfectly executed mistake-free hockey to stay entertained, those games are bore-fest. Sure, as a fan I want for my team to play as mistake-free game as possible, but doesn't mean it's not boring from the standpoint of a natural observer.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki

Maybe you love the WJC so much, because Canada always has a totally stacked team against everyone else? I'm a bit tired of this underlying current again.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Are we allowed to post actual photos in this thread (games/crowds/Helsinki/etc), or do they need to be linked up?

A few photos is fine as long as they conform to HF rules. If they're big or there are many of them, just post a link.

Using collapse tags also helps...

[collapse=1234]Hit "quote" to see the code. Change the numbers in the first tag to something random or descriptive. Insert your photo where this text is via the text editor.[/collapse]

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could some Canadians, who have bought tickets for all tournament games, sell them now for the Sweden-Finland semi-final?

I would be interested buying 4 of them for my family.

Send a private message if interested.

Anton13

Sep 3, 2012
Finland
Super excited to come to Helsinki to see the semifinals and final/bronze game. Can anyone recommend a bar or club where to head tomorrow after the Russia - USA game to see other hockey fans? It's a Monday night so options are probably very limited..?

Slapper

Oct 26, 2015
Super excited to come to Helsinki to see the semifinals and final/bronze game. Can anyone recommend a bar or club where to head tomorrow after the Russia - USA game to see other hockey fans? It's a Monday night so options are probably very limited..?

Sports Academy next to central railway station tends to be pretty crowded every day of the week. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad