WJC: 2016 WJC in Finland. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland
In the event of a Finnish victory, where are we most likely to see the best celebration parties?

In 2014 the official gold medal celebrations were at the Railway Square (Rautatientori) in the heart of Helsinki. In 2011 when we won the IIHF World Champs, they were held at the Market Square (Kauppatori). Nothing official has been announced yet (thankfully they haven't jumped the gun), except that in the future, the Market Square won't be an option and instead, large celebrations would be held at Mäntymäen Kenttä in Töölö. Don't know if this would be large enough for that.

Tomorrow is a national holiday anyway, so tonight the celebrations might be on throughout the city... Hopefully no one dies of hypothermia. :laugh:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
In 2014 the official gold medal celebrations were at the Railway Square (Rautatientori) in the heart of Helsinki. In 2011 when we won the IIHF World Champs, they were held at the Market Square (Kauppatori). Nothing official has been announced yet (thankfully they haven't jumped the gun), except that in the future, the Market Square won't be an option and instead, large celebrations would be held at Mäntymäen Kenttä in Töölö. Don't know if this would be large enough for that.

Tomorrow is a national holiday anyway, so tonight the celebrations might be on throughout the city... Hopefully no one dies of hypothermia. :laugh:

Great thanks. Where would the locale be announced?

aahola

Mar 26, 2014
Finland
Great thanks. Where would the locale be announced?

I'm not sure where the official announcement will be, but I'm sure the two major tabloids (Iltalehti and Ilta-Sanomat) will have it immediately on their website and social media will also be filled with the info. I don't know how useful those sources are to you though, sorry.

I think it was said on the Yle broadcast that it'll be in the evening. Probably to give our young heroes a chance to cure their hangover and get a couple of beers in their system... :D

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
for what it's worth, the total cost of the trip for me, taking the "broke college student" options at every step totaled up to $3018 CAD. I flew out of edmonton, and I feel like I couldn't have spent much less while still having a great time. worth every penny though, and then some.

I can't imagine I would get the same experience for $3000 if I had to fly into toronto/montreal for this though :P

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
One of these days I'll add my totals up, but I'd imagine it's in the same general area. That's one thing some Canadian fans were talking about before the Gold game - is Toronto/Montreal worth the price? At least one person said they'd pay the same price for Helsinki as Toronto/Montreal, but "when it's just Toronto and Montreal, what's the point?"

One thing a buddy of mine always says, and I agree with him 100%, is "a road trip is partially the hockey game, but mostly the experience." Sure, this trip had some great hockey, but I went there for the atmosphere, for the fans, for the city, for the food, for the off-ice experience. I'd rather pay this money for Helsinki, and get that unique experience that I can't get at home, than pay it for Toronto and "let's go to East Side Marios for dinner." No. (I love ESM, but I don't go to Helsinki, or Europe in general, for it)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad