2016 WHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'll be catching a few Hitmen playoff games this year as I do every year. It's going to be fun!

Calgary is one of those teams that seems to play to the level of their opponent. Struggle against teams below them in the standings and play well against teams ahead of them in the standings (3-0 vs. Brandon with their full lineup). They usually play Red Deer well. Hard team to predict. They could be out in the 1st round or they could play through the Eastern Conference Finals. Need a goalie to step up.

CanesDomain

Oct 19, 2015
Wanted to share this with everyone

Not sure if this is the right place to share... but I've created a blog page with custom playoff brackets for the entire CHL. The brackets will be updated daily. If that's up your alley, maybe consider taking a look. Would love to know if it's useful or how I can improve it.

Follow the link for full page and HQ photos.

http://canesdomain.com/2016-whl-playoff-bracket-live-blog/

9QNASmL.png

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Do we do first round predictions?
East
Brandon in 4
Moose Jaw in 7 (Point and Hunt power)
Lethbridge in 6
Calgary in 7
West
Victoria in 4
Kelowna in 7
Seattle in 7
Portland in 5

dmortens

Jan 5, 2014
Kelowna
East
Brandon over Edmonton in 4
Moose Jaw over Prince Albert in 6
Lethbridge over Regina in 7
Red Deer over Calgary in 7

West
Victoria over Spokane in 4
Kelowna over Kamloops in 7
Seattle over Prince George in 5
Everett over Portland in 6

Hordichuk_24

Kamloops is not PG. Seattle is a much better matchup than Kelowna. This "weakened" Kelowna team handedly beat PG twice, up in PG. I want no part of them.

PG went 2-2 vs Seattle this year.

I don't think Seattle is a good match up for Prince George. Kelowna isn't either but this current Rockets team is much more beatable than a healthy one. The Cougars aren't playing well right now so really they may struggle against any team. My original point was the one thing the Cougars do have in their favor is their physicality. And when things typically loosen up (penalty wise) come playoff time that goes in their favor. However Seattle can easily match up to them physically whereas other teams like Kelowna wouldn't be able to. So the Cougars really have no advantage heading into a series against Seattle, IMO. If they want to turn it into nasty series the T-Birds have more than enough grit and toughness to match that.

Hordichuk_24

Eastern Conference:

Brandon over Edmonton in 4
Prince Albert over Moose Jaw in 6
Lethbridge over Regina in 6
Calgary over Red Deer in 7

Western Conference:

Victoria over Spokane in 5
Kelowna over Kamloops in 7
Seattle over Prince George in 6
Everett over Portland in 7

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I don't think Seattle is a good match up for Prince George. Kelowna isn't either but this current Rockets team is much more beatable than a healthy one. The Cougars aren't playing well right now so really they may struggle against any team. My original point was the one thing the Cougars do have in their favor is their physicality. And when things typically loosen up (penalty wise) come playoff time that goes in their favor. However Seattle can easily match up to them physically whereas other teams like Kelowna wouldn't be able to. So the Cougars really have no advantage heading into a series against Seattle, IMO. If they want to turn it into nasty series the T-Birds have more than enough grit and toughness to match that.

The 2 games Seattle tried to do that, they got blown out of the water. Not as tough as people seem to think, at least, not this year.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Got my tickets for Spokane's sweep lol. Obviously rooting for the upset but when the inevitable happens I'll be hopping on the Royals bandwagon.

Hordichuk_24

The 2 games Seattle tried to do that, they got blown out of the water. Not as tough as people seem to think, at least, not this year.

Oh I disagree. If push comes to shove Seattle has plenty of willing combatants. The Cougars aren't as tough as they think, IMO. Especially without Anderson. They do play a more heavy game consistently but Seattle can match that, plus they have a lot more skill. I still don't think that is a good match up for the Cats. I think they would have a better chance against this version of the Rockets. If the game is called right (no tick tacky penalties like the regular season) the Cougars should have better success against a team like the Rockets. They wouldn't be able to rely on their PP to win games. Teams that rely on that during the regular season often struggle because it isn't as prevalent in the post season. The players are allowed to play which is how it should always be, IMO.

Which is another reason I'm not as big on Victoria as most. They aren't a big heavy team like in years past. They are the opposite. It's helped them this regular season but if they have to play against a physical team in the playoffs can they overcome that? It's a good question. Unfortunately that series against Spokane doesn't interest me in the least. It's too bad because I'll be in Victoria this weekend. Maybe I'll buy tickets for Friday if I'm not doing anything else and there are any available. I suppose looking into that first might be a good idea.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Oh I disagree. If push comes to shove Seattle has plenty of willing combatants. The Cougars aren't as tough as they think, IMO. Especially without Anderson. They do play a more heavy game consistently but Seattle can match that, plus they have a lot more skill. I still don't think that is a good match up for the Cats. I think they would have a better chance against this version of the Rockets. If the game is called right (no tick tacky penalties like the regular season) the Cougars should have better success against a team like the Rockets. They wouldn't be able to rely on their PP to win games. Teams that rely on that during the regular season often struggle because it isn't as prevalent in the post season. The players are allowed to play which is how it should always be, IMO.

Which is another reason I'm not as big on Victoria as most. They aren't a big heavy team like in years past. They are the opposite. It's helped them this regular season but if they have to play against a physical team in the playoffs can they overcome that? It's a good question. Unfortunately that series against Spokane doesn't interest me in the least. It's too bad because I'll be in Victoria this weekend. Maybe I'll buy tickets for Friday if I'm not doing anything else and there are any available. I suppose looking into that first might be a good idea.
Lots of seats available in the corners on selectyourtickets.com, but slim pickins on the sides.

I have front row behind the visitors' bench for Friday.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Seattle will be a real tough team to beat this playoffs. Bow has been HUGE for them since being acquired and they have a real big team and a lot of grit and skill. The team finished the season with 3rd best PP in the league and the best PK in the league. If PG takes a ton of penalties like they did in the regular season(most PIMS in the league by over 200 mins), its going to be a very quick series. Barzal and company will eat that up

I think it will be a Royals/Tbirds West final this year

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Seattle will be a real tough team to beat this playoffs. Bow has been HUGE for them since being acquired and they have a real big team and a lot of grit and skill. The team finished the season with 3rd best PP in the league and the best PK in the league. If PG takes a ton of penalties like they did in the regular season(most PIMS in the league by over 200 mins), its going to be a very quick series. Barzal and company will eat that up

I think it will be a Royals/Tbirds West final this year

As was pointed out above, most of the penalties that racked up those minutes are of the Ticky Tack version, the ones that don't get called in the playoffs. I'm not too worried about that as PG has a great PK, but yes, that could be an issue.

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013
My predictions:

Wheat Kings in 6
Warriors in 5
Hurricanes in 5
Hitmen in 7
Royals in 5
Blazers in 7
Thunderbirds in 6
Winterhawks in 7

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
Happened like that last year too.. Not worried quite yet.. But it was a big wake up call

Worried yet?? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, being a loyal OK's fan i didn't give them much of a chance to win a game this series let alone be up 2-0 at this point.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Was at the game in Lethbridge. Crazy atmosphere.

Canes power play was dominant, Pats better stay out of the box.
Skinner was great, couple of amazing saves. One was on Adam Brooks (2 on 0) to preserve a one goal lead in the 3rd.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Was at the game in Lethbridge. Crazy atmosphere.

Canes power play was dominant, Pats better stay out of the box.
Skinner was great, couple of amazing saves. One was on Adam Brooks (2 on 0) to preserve a one goal lead in the 3rd.

12 power plays? What the hell happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig