2016 WHL Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
What teams do you think will come out of the East and West?

In the West, how do you bet against Victoria? If their play stays at the level it is now, I don't see a team in the West stopping them.

I'm less familiar with the East, but I'll go with a slight underdog in Calgary, I have been quite impressed with them this year.

This year's playoffs should be a lot of fun.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Out of the west I think Victoria their only big competition is Kelowna who have key players injured ( Whistle, Merkley)
In the east Brandon is the favourites all of their guns are blazing. I think they easily walk into the 3rd round. Moose Jaw if Point and Hunt are going full blast they should beat PA and could give Brandon some difficulty.
Lethbridge is getting back Estephan soon and is getting out of that rut they were in for a while and I think they are a tad underrated by some. Red Deer and Calgary will be a war and I think the winner will be a tad diminished Lethbridge will beat them with some difficulty.
Lethbridge and Brandon will be a tough series imo fun to watch whoever wins ( my heart says Lethbridge, brain says Brandon) will win the Ed Chynoweth cup.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
Out of the west I think Victoria their only big competition is Kelowna who have key players injured ( Whistle, Merkley)
In the east Brandon is the favourites all of their guns are blazing. I think they easily walk into the 3rd round. Moose Jaw if Point and Hunt are going full blast they should beat PA and could give Brandon some difficulty.
Lethbridge is getting back Estephan soon and is getting out of that rut they were in for a while and I think they are a tad underrated by some. Red Deer and Calgary will be a war and I think the winner will be a tad diminished Lethbridge will beat them with some difficulty.
Lethbridge and Brandon will be a tough series imo fun to watch whoever wins ( my heart says Lethbridge, brain says Brandon) will win the Ed Chynoweth cup.

Brandon has fared quite well against moose jaw this year, stiffer test will be lethbridge

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Victoria has killed it since the WJCs. 1 regulation loss in their past 24 games (21-1-2-0)

Outscored their opponents 114-46 over that stretch.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
The wheaties And the royals!!

I'm from Manitoba and live in Victoria.....a dream dream final...

If we can get through our division Seattle concerns me....they have the type of team that could frustrate us....I also could see barzal going off.....I wouldn't like our chances against Brandon...

Moveslikejagr247

Mar 8, 2015
I'm from Manitoba and live in Victoria.....a dream dream final...

If we can get through our division Seattle concerns me....they have the type of team that could frustrate us....I also could see barzal going off.....I wouldn't like our chances against Brandon...
they've Both been playing so good lately and Honestly with the way Nolan patrick and Jayce hawryluk have been playing, i Think they'll take home the title!! be interesting to see how they Fare against teams like Erie or london

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The Chiefs were never going to be contenders anyway but with Yamamoto, Fram, etc. still week to week right now it's hard to even get excited for the post-season

I'll probably be bandwagoning the Royals after Spokane gets swept in the first round :cry:

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Brandon is catching fire right now. Over the last 4 (mind you they weren't against real great teams) they have scored 33 goals, and allowed 8. Now 4 points up on the Canes, and only 4 back of Victoria.

If everything plans out right, they SHOULD (knock on wood) have a fairly easy path into the 3rd round, where they likely get Lethbridge or Red Deer, which will be a huge test.

Going to say Brandon out of the east, and Victoria out of the west. Kelowna has had to many injuries to compete with the bigger guns, IMO.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Victoria has killed it since the WJCs. 1 regulation loss in their past 24 games (21-1-2-0)

Outscored their opponents 114-46 over that stretch.

They have a very deep team, but I don't know if they have that one star player who can single handily win a game for them. Though I do admit I've been quite impressed by Soy this season, completely different player from last year.

Eastern Conference is the definitely the most talented of the two, so I am expecting a couple of upsets (Hurricanes most notably, don't know if they have the experience to go far). But Wheat Kings are head and shoulders the best team, they are Washington of the WHL. Personally I like what Calgary has done this season, even if they're not the best team.

As for the West, it reminds me a lot of the Pacific Division from the NHL, good, but none of them are amazing teams. Really down year for them, perhaps Victoria now has what it takes to go far, but I also can't bet against Seattle's firepower. And now all the notoriously top teams look beatable, Portland, Kelowna, and even Everett. I think whoever gets into that 8th spot could be a good darkhorse, both Americans and Chiefs have core players on both. Americans you have a good defensive core, while the Chiefs have one of the best young offensive players in the league with Kailer (who's posting the same PPG average as Nolan Patrick).

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Seattle is also heating up lately at the right time. They are looking extremely dominant. They could be another hopeful out of the West

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think Victoria is the only real scary team in the West, every other team is pretty beatable in my eyes. Victoria has gone on a tear, but wouldn't be shocked to see them upset at some point.

takehisheadoff

Nov 2, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
I wont count out Brandon or Kelowna. I could see Victoria doing it. But I personally would love to see a Prince George/Lethbridge final. Mainly for alot of crap that their fans have put up with over the years. They deserve it too this year.:yo:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I honestly think Brandon is the main powerhouse. Any team in the West can win the Western Conference.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I wont count out Brandon or Kelowna. I could see Victoria doing it. But I personally would love to see a Prince George/Lethbridge final. Mainly for alot of crap that their fans have put up with over the years. They deserve it too this year.:yo:

I think whoever PG ends up playing in the first round will get a tough series. I'm not saying PG will win, but it'll be a 6 or 7 gamer. PG plays a very rough and tumble style of game, perfectly suited for the playoffs. Losing Anderson is a big loss for them though, his game lends itself to playoff hockey.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Don't see any team beating Brandon in the East or in the league in general. Lethbridge will win a round but get beat in 5 come round two. Red Deer is starting to put it all together but like Kelowna, their goaltending worries me.

In the West I have a hard time seeing anyone beating Victoria but if I had to choose one team I think it would be Kelowna. They're not as deep as years passed but still have the experience compared to a lot of teams. There goaltending is obviously a major concern as Whistle being done is a huge blow. Seattle could be seen as a sleeper in that conference.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think whoever PG ends up playing in the first round will get a tough series. I'm not saying PG will win, but it'll be a 6 or 7 gamer. PG plays a very rough and tumble style of game, perfectly suited for the playoffs. Losing Anderson is a big loss for them though, his game lends itself to playoff hockey.

haha I think the same thing about Kamloops. They can be an extremely good teams at times.

I wouldn't doubt if all the first round of the playoffs in the West go atleast 6 games

any team can beat any team IMO

takehisheadoff

Nov 2, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
Guys you are forgetting about the Tigers and the Ice:laugh: I better just grab some:popcorn: and cheer for good hockey this year. But surely I will have NHL playoffs with the Jets and Flames:shakehead

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
the final 2 games for PG and Kamloops are against each other and they are currently tied in points. Gonna be an exciting 2 games to see who ends up as a wild card and who ends up 3rd in the BC division

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
the final 2 games for PG and Kamloops are against each other and they are currently tied in points. Gonna be an exciting 2 games to see who ends up as a wild card and who ends up 3rd in the BC division

Me thinks they won't be tied in points when they play game 71.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Me thinks they won't be tied in points when they play game 71.

That's true.. Im assuming Kamloops will probably be ahead

Blazers up by 2 points and playing a weak Giants team tonight

Cougars play a very good Royals team tmrw

Cougars could potentially be down by 4 points leading into that final weekend

I am PRETTY sure though that if PG goes into that final weekend down by 4 points and win those 2 games and become tied with the Blazers, PG will finish ahead of them in standings and make Kamloops a wild card team

Last edited:

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
That's true.. Im assuming Kamloops will probably be ahead

Blazers up by 2 points and playing a weak Giants team tonight

Cougars play a very good Royals team tmrw

Cougars could potentially be down by 4 points leading into that final weekend

I am PRETTY sure though that if PG goes into that final weekend down by 4 points and win those 2 games and become tied with the Blazers, PG will finish ahead of them in standings and make Kamloops a wild card team

Yep, Tie breaker would go to PG, fairly certain.

Honestly, I don't think it'll come to that. I'm 90% sure Kamloops will get 2 points tonight, and 99% sure they will at least get 1.

I would be shocked if PG was able to get ANYTHING out of tomorrow's game, but Victoria has struggle on Televised games, if that means anything.

Looks like it'll be KEL/KAM and PG/SEA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad