GDT: 2016 Trade Deadline: Mon Feb 29, 3:00PM ET – NHLN, SN, TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
One report says they could have gotten Dano and a first. If thats true, holy cow.

Edit: A lot of people not buying it and understandably so.

The report I think said something about Benning not liking Dano as a prospect. So unless he refused to take a different prospect, or Chicago was only willing to dangle Dano...both of which seems far-fetched.

I wouldn't be surprised if he said no, but there must have been more involved, whether a cap dump, or other depth players going from Vancouver, etc.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Vancouver talk radio is epic tonight...lots of season ticket holders throwing in the towel...or so they say.

Did it ever get this bad in Buffalo in 2012/13?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Paul Hamilton giving another interview with half a sub in his mouth.

Only half?

Vancouver talk radio is epic tonight...lots of season ticket holders throwing in the towel...or so they say.

Did it ever get this bad in Buffalo in 2012/13?

No, people were so sick of the Regier-built core and failings that the idea of a total scorch and rebuild went over well. Some may not have understood how long that would take, but it didn't get that bad. There have to be huge questions as to what the Canucks are trying to do. It's that having-their-cake-and-eating-it-too thing, keeping the Sedins and trying to be competitive while also retooling. It never seems to work at this level.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Only half?

No, people were so sick of the Regier-built core and failings that the idea of a total scorch and rebuild went over well. Some may not have understood how long that would take, but it didn't get that bad. There have to be huge questions as to what the Canucks are trying to do. It's that having-their-cake-and-eating-it-too thing, keeping the Sedins and trying to be competitive while also retooling. It never seems to work at this level.

Speculation from the beat reporters is that Vancouver had a deal for Hamhuis with Dallas for essentially the same package that Russell went for. Management went to ownership and ownership kibosh-ed the deal demanding that management got more for Hamhuis. Dallas bulked, switched from Hamhuis to Russell.

This is becoming a very disturbing trend in Vancouver going back many years. The last notorious ownership intervention was the hiring of John Tortorella...Mike Gillis wanted to go in another direction and the Acquilini's demanded Torts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Speculation from the beat reporters is that Vancouver had a deal for Hamhuis with Dallas for essentially the same package that Russell went for. Management went to ownership and ownership kibosh-ed the deal demanding that management got more for Hamhuis. Dallas bulked, switched from Hamhuis to Russell.

This is becoming a very disturbing trend in Vancouver going back many years. The last notorious ownership intervention was the hiring of John Tortorella...Mike Gillis wanted to go in another direction and the Acquilini's demanded Torts.

Meddling ownership? ****. :help:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I agree in full except when it comes to keeping the Sedins. They have no other choice. The Sedins will not accept trades individually nor are they going to accept trades to crappy teams, no matter how crappy Vancouver gets. No contender is going to have the roster and cap room for both even with retention. I don't see what can be done about it until they retire.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I agree in full except when it comes to keeping the Sedins. They have no other choice. The Sedins will not accept trades individually nor are they going to accept trades to crappy teams, no matter how crappy Vancouver gets. No contender is going to have the roster and cap room for both even with retention. I don't see what can be done about it until they retire.

Trade both for the best deal possible. Better than this.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
Don't know if this was mentioned (just got home from work and looked at the trade day deals) but former Sabre Corey Tropp is now an Anaheim Duck (from Chicago).

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yes, but the notion was that they would only accept a singular joint trade to a good team. What I'm saying is you have to find that trade then.

How do you find it? What good team with $14m in cap space needs a center and a winger for the same line? It would take an absolute perfect storm for such a thing to ever happen, which isn't in Vancouver's hands.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Only half?

It's doable, but you have to recognize you aren't what you were and either stockpile assets and wait for one to hit (Detroit) or wait in the weeds for a major trade or signing (Dallas and the Wild with Benn/Koivu). They just never seemed to notice the teamwide regression post 2011 and didn't do enough to identify needle-movers. Lol Kassian and Roy.

Also, Ryan Kesler was overrated as ****. His two 70 point seasons came while leading the team in goals against and with Malhotra moving his line to move of that Vanek/Max role.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
Ducks AND Wild?? One I can buy. But we'd essentially blow what tradeable parts we have just by making a deal with ONE team.

I can't imagine a realistic scenario where we deal with both teams.......

Not necessarily trading with both, but making sure you have more options and taking the better, rather than eggs in one basket.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
How do you find it? What good team with $14m in cap space needs a center and a winger for the same line? It would take an absolute perfect storm for such a thing to ever happen, which isn't in Vancouver's hands.

The only real option to move on from the Sedins would be to buy them out. Each one would carry a 2.333M cap hit for the next 4 years if bought out after this year. (If bought out after 16-17, it would be the same cap hit but only 2 years).

Although in theory, they could just buy one of them out and there's nothing the Sedins could do about it, but I'm pretty sure you'd just create more headaches trying to deal with the one you're keeping.

A trade is totally not feasible barring some real crazy circumstances because the Sedins hold all the cards with their NMCs.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Given the current landscape and what other players went for I give Murray a B-. I didn't expect to get anything for Cola or Legwand but I'm surprised Johnson couldn't return at least a late round pick. I assume Murray did get a low draft pick offered for CJ but he felt that it would be more beneficial for Ullmark to get 15 more starts in Rochester and have CJ still on the team then add a 6th or 7th and only have Ullmark play 4-5 games max up with the big club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad