2016 Tank Thread - Babcock PreDeadline Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
shouldn't they be "buying?"

it's not even a tank question. other than Schlutz - what do they really have to sell? shouldn't they be making deals to get better and not make the players who have flat out said they are sick of losing and all of that jazz - at least have "something" to look forward to?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

it's not even a tank question. other than Schlutz - what do they really have to sell? shouldn't they be making deals to get better and not make the players who have flat out said they are sick of losing and all of that jazz - at least have "something" to look forward to?

The team will quit on the coach and all be pissed at everything now he is hoping. He could be going in the dressing room as the G.M and being a complete moron to deflate them by calling them all down. That organization is the picture that could be above the word incompetent in any online dictionary.

Our room is apparently very good even though we have had no success. I bet theirs isn't very good.

We will likely be straightened out as quick with our management. So thats good. Screw them bums running that gong show.

We pick first book it. Its a karma thing

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What an embarrassing franchise.

He also mentioned selling "under performing assets", today

Way to shoot yourself in the foot before you even start negotiations. He's such an overrated GM - trading skilled players for pennies on the dollar just comes so naturally to him. A perfect fit for the Oilers.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Yea, or at least trying to move someone for Defense. I can't believe they have done nothing yet. Figured at least One of Yak, Eb, RNH, Drai, would be gone by now.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
He also mentioned selling "under performing assets", today

Way to shoot yourself in the foot before you even start negotiations. He's such an overrated GM - trading skilled players for pennies on the dollar just comes so naturally to him. A perfect fit for the Oilers.

Swerv and I have been saying it -

Chia is living off the draft when he first got hired + Chara's signing. and while sure you get mega cookies for that (no pun intended) - Jeff Gorton was the unsung hero of that draft. not him. Soooo glad we didn't get him.

honestly, if I were an Oilers fan, i would NOT be a happy camper right now.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If I am Chiarelli, I would trade for a good Dmen even if I have to slightly over paid for him.
If Subban issue available, I would send one of Eberle or Yuk and one of Leon or RNH to Montreal. Then make Subban the Captain. I don't know if it is the #1 overall tag or the fear of traded players reaching their max potentials, Oilers GM just don't want to make trade.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Chia is living off the draft when he first got hired + Chara's signing. and while sure you get mega cookies for that (no pun intended) - Jeff Gorton was the unsung hero of that draft. not him. Soooo glad we didn't get him.

I think Oilers fans think winning the lottery is the same as winning the Cup

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm

Or ever.:help::popcorn:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
If I am Chiarelli, I would trade for a good Dmen even if I have to slightly over paid for him.
If Subban issue available, I would send one of Eberle or Yuk and one of Leon or RNH to Montreal. Then make Subban the Captain. I don't know if it is the #1 overall tag or the fear of traded players reaching their max potentials, Oilers GM just don't want to make trade.

Honestly I was shocked that Seth Jones + edmonton never came up in the aftermath. I would have thrown RNH +Yak at Nashville soooo fast, it's not even funny.

Same with the situation in Winnipeg (though Chevy is like mollasses, he rarely moves at all) ___ + _____ for Myers or Trouba or SOMETHING. like at this point, who cares if it's in your division/conference. You NEED. TO. GET BETTER.

I think Oilers fans think winning the lottery is the same as winning the Cup

honestly though - as much ribbing as they get - i think like most people, they ideally want a functioning non losing team. there is NO way the Oilers should be selling other than to be BUYING the pieces to make them better.

ugh. may we never. ever. be in this situation ever. [again].

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That means we can't compete with them on the market. They have way better parts to sell.
My only hope is 1 they won't sell to a Western conference team and 2 other teams see the Oilers players as flawed and not worth as much. Haha

Oilers ideas of change involving trading Purcell and Nikitin.
Then wonder: Why didn't we improve?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I want to hurt you right now.
I see what you are saying.

Let's get him.
Torches10152.JPG

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Edmonton could have had Dion or Seth and sat on their hands.

Question for everyone. At what point would you try and trade some our picks for young players? Maybe a team is having trouble signing an RFA , would you give up one or two of our many seconds to land an RFA defenseman or stay the course and just draft?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You don't think the Reinhart trade was an aggressive attempt?

Not really no.
I was never high on Reinhart in today's skating/mobile D (I see Keith Aulie) and there was no indication he could play in the NHL this year. They should have gotten someone who could contribute. Barring that they could have used that pick on goaltending (Samsonov) or even another D like Chabot.
I thought it was a poor move but what do I know. Even 2-way center Barzal would have been a better choice IMO. Then move RNH for real D help.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
That means we can't compete with them on the market. They have way better parts to sell.
My only hope is 1 they won't sell to a Western conference team and 2 other teams see the Oilers players as flawed and not worth as much. Haha

It will more than likely be changes to the core as opposed to rental players.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
When the Oilers ended up dating 3rd in 2014 draft it hurt, seeing how they went from 7th worst to 3rd worst. The fact that they have yet to get out of the bottom 3 is a disgrace. I don't dislike the team or their fans, kinda feel bad for them. Like how can Taylor Hall, Connor Mcdaivd, Jordan Eberle,and Leon Draisitle not be good enough to make the playoffs. Any other gm gets those 4 core pieces and makes a potential dynasty. Seriously the Oilers 11, 12,and 13 draft picks should be shopped. Trade Nuge for best dmen available. Shop yak, nurse and your 2017 1st for another dmen. Draft a winger like Laine or pulijarvi. Don't be crap at drafting in the 2nd round. The Oilers if they have a 2nd should draft dmen to fill their prospect pool. Seriously they could have had Chabot and dermott, both who could be in the nhl In a year or two. The Oilers should trade RNH for Brodin plus abother asset. And shop Yak, Nurse and 2017 1st for Trouba plus an winger prospect. Trouba, Brodin, Klef, Sekera is a good top 4. Add Davidson and Reinhart and you got a strong score.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton could have had Dion or Seth and sat on their hands.

Question for everyone. At what point would you try and trade some our picks for young players? Maybe a team is having trouble signing an RFA , would you give up one or two of our many seconds to land an RFA defenseman or stay the course and just draft?

starting next season probably, I would go the buffalo route, really bottom out and gather as many picks(and even picks in later years etc.) then the following season add some mid-20's ready now players to grow with the team. Add in some great veteran UFA's and youre set.

EDM has never impressed me, they are vehemently set on not trading one of the kids and now guys like Yakupov have value slipping away. RNH was probably worth alot a year ago, now he's impressing less and less people.

The lineup needs balance, they have no top pairing D prospect, they have a bunch of one-dimensional forwards etc. and their late-round drafting has been horrific.

anyway, bottom out this year, add as much talent as possible, play the kids next year and start forming a base then start trying to really win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad