2016 Tank/Rebuild thread AKA Where are we and where is Pitt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No way the leafs can catch EDM. We are probably going to cheering for them lose in the final games against Canucks and Flames

The new NHL rule should be if you can finish lower than the Oilers you deserve the 1st overall. That's a serious accomplishment.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If they finish last, I will be hoping for it. (if not us)
I am selfish and want better odds on the 2nd and 3rd lotteries.

Lets not kid ourselves though, I'd trade the whole team to build around McDavid. They are in a good situation, just need to find a way to air out the loser stench - which is easier said than done.

Personally, I'd move all of: Hall, RNH, Yakupov. Hall being a very good player, but the ringleader of the previous loser mentality - and moving him alone signifies a change in direction. (Think Kessel, but with ALOT more value - they have so much options, just can't be scared to do it)

Best case scenario; catch a team coming of a failed playoff attempt and looking for a forward. Oilers fans seem keen on wanting ready now players - I'd consider this draft as the future, build around McDavid, Drai and 2016 age group.

I'm not the type to beat around the bush to make myself feel better when we lose the lottery. We really need a big 1C and I really want Matthews. That would be so ideal.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think they could trade Draisaitl for a top 10 pick this year, easily.
There aren't an abundance of centers in the top 10, Draisaitl would fit there, and he's pretty well eliminated any concern about being a NHL player. Probably zero risk factor, whereas Top 10 picks still come with risk.

The final result on defenders this year isn't in, and there is some debate Chychrun is really that much better than the other contenders.

You have to take Matthews and go from there.

Add to Nurse 21, and Klefbom. People forget Klefbom is only 22 years old, and has missed most of the season. Reinhart just turned 22, Davidson is 24 and injured.

But what the hell is the point of that? There giving up two years of development of a previous top 5 pick. It's not like he's faltered at all, so they haven't lost any value with him. A top 10 pick is basically a sideways step at best, and a huge step backwards at worst. It just seems pointless. They need defensive talent now, not 4-5 years down the road (which is realistically the kind of timeline you're looking at for a dmen to develop into a consistent NHL top 4 dmen).

I agree though, you take MAtthews. Trading back is getting far to cute. And a Matthews/McDavid center combo is even nastier than what they have. It just opens up new possibilities for the team. Take RNH/Draisiatl/Eberle/Yakupov/whoever and trade them to a team starving for offense and willing to trade defense.

Off the top of my head, Philly could be an interesting partner. Build a trade around Yakupov for Hagg+. Or look at a bigger traded involving one of their bigger dmen prospects for an Eberle maybe.

Go to Minnesota and pry Brodin out of their hands. Maybe expansion finally opens up that possibility since Minny won't want to lose one of Brodin/Suter/Scandella/Dumba.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
But what the hell is the point of that? There giving up two years of development of a previous top 5 pick. It's not like he's faltered at all, so they haven't lost any value with him. A top 10 pick is basically a sideways step at best, and a huge step backwards at worst. It just seems pointless. They need defensive talent now, not 4-5 years down the road (which is realistically the kind of timeline you're looking at for a dmen to develop into a consistent NHL top 4 dmen).

I agree though, you take MAtthews. Trading back is getting far to cute. And a Matthews/McDavid center combo is even nastier than what they have. It just opens up new possibilities for the team. Take RNH/Draisiatl/Eberle/Yakupov/whoever and trade them to a team starving for offense and willing to trade defense.

Off the top of my head, Philly could be an interesting partner. Build a trade around Yakupov for Hagg+. Or look at a bigger traded involving one of their bigger dmen prospects for an Eberle maybe.

Go to Minnesota and pry Brodin out of their hands. Maybe expansion finally opens up that possibility since Minny won't want to lose one of Brodin/Suter/Scandella/Dumba.

I don't think Hagg does much to change their situation. He's projected to be what...a #3/4, if he hits his ceiling. Not much different than Klefbom. Same with Brodin, who I think at this point has the ceiling of a #3. Its good to collect these guys, but you need to insulate them with a #1\2, which generally don't become available.

I don't think they're going to be able to get that kind of stalwart via trade. They'll have to get lucky in drafting\development.

And just for reference sake, even recognizing the talent level of Draisaitl (he's tremendous), and the potential of Matthews, I would not trade Morgan Rielly straight up either of them based on his ceiling and position scarcity. If they offered RNH, I'd laugh them off the phone.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
godfather_lou-640x360.jpg

"Jonathan Bernier has had an unfortunate accident."

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well Bernier isn't completely beaten down, he can technically back up Sparks.

Still it's a chance. Ducks better quack it up and bring it against the rookie :laugh:.
Only the Leafs can manage to mess up a rebuild
Or you know the Edmonton Oilers who have been messing up a rebuild for 6 or 7 years now....

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
its annoying... despite the fact that i like watching the young guys play they are too good and making us win... I want to send them back down now ugh

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
well, the thing is - it's easy to say that now.
but as far as I can remember there were only two free GM jobs. us and them and Shanahan was working on Lou since like the season ended last year. [plus of course there were all the other players involved - McPhee (who went deep into the interview process, and "others, he won't mention to be fair to the teams involved". I don't think Chia was ever a consideration).

and honestly - good. I think he just got incredibly lucky. It will be v. interesting to see how he "fixes" Edmonton, but i wasn't really impressed with him.
Lamoriello had not stepped down as the Devils GM until May 4, 2015 so he was not available when last years regular season ended for Shanahan to talk with him about coming to Toronto.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Why we need not fret.

This is a good draft, 6 to 10 guys deep. Lou has tons of ammo if he want to move up. The thing is , if the Leafs want Chychrun they probably don't even have to trade up. The way we are going, Edmonton is finishing last and we should expect no favours as a Canadian team on lottery day.I just dont think Bettman wants Canada 1st(Winn.,Calg.,Edmonton,Toronto?),Canada 2nd and Canada 3rd at the draft. Bettman must be losing sleep trying to figure out how to get all the elite 3 on US teams as per his view of how the NHL needs to be.Or how do you think he likes the idea of Edmonton destroying even more talent again? I think Edmonton once again has become a problem and for all the wrong reasons this time. IF Edmonton gets the first overall, lookout Bettman!

That is why I don't think Bettman is really that smart. The Edmonton situation should have never gotten this far in the first place.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I'm a little concerned about the Oilers and Canucks, and the Leafs winning too many games going forward :(

Though looking at our schedule remaining I could see us going 2-8 possibly, but there will probably be a few surprise wins in there.

Thankfully Oilers and Canucks have 2 games against each other.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
I think we finish somewhere in the bottom 4. Where within that group we finish will be up to a group of teams down the stretch: Vancouver, Edmonton, and Winnipeg.

Toronto - 10 games remain
vs. Anaheim - L
vs. Boston - L
@ Tampa - L
@ Florida - L
@ Buffalo - W
vs. Detroit - OTL
vs. Florida - L
vs. Columbus - W
@ Philly - L
@ NJ - W

7 points added for season total of 70 points

Vancouver - 10 games remain
@ Nashville - L
@ St. Louis - L
vs. Chicago - L
vs. San Jose - L
@ San Jose - L
@ Anaheim - L
vs. Los Angeles - L
@ Edmonton - OTL
@ Calgary - L
vs. Edmonton - W

3 points added for season total of 69 points

Edmonton - 6 games remain
@ San Jose - L
@ Los Angeles - L
vs. Anaheim - L
vs. Calgary - L
vs. Vancouver - W
@ Vancouver - L

2 points added for season total of 67 points

Winnipeg - 9 games remain
vs. Los Angeles - L
@ Buffalo - W
@ Philly - L
vs. Ottawa - W
vs. Chicago - L
vs. Minnesota - L
@ Anaheim - L
@ San Jose - L
@ Los Angeles - L

5 points added for season total of 70 points

Final Standings:
27. Winnipeg
28. Toronto
29. Vancouver
30. Edmonton

Looking at the schedules for Vancouver and Edmonton down the stretch compared to us, there is no way we out-tank them. I think the above is BEST case scenario. Even if I add a win for Edmonton, they still just switch spots with Vancouver for the bottom.

Luckily, I would be happy with one of Laine/Pulj/Dubois. If we finish 5 or 6 it gets more complicated. I would be inclined to trade the pick to Winnipeg for Trouba vs. picking a defender, but that is just me. I'm impatient.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
People actually expect Vancouver to only get 3 points in their remaining games :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
People actually expect Vancouver to only get 3 points in their remaining games :laugh:

If you saw last night's game against Winnipeg (of all teams), it's not insane, they suck bad right now.

Edmonton scares me the most. I don't think they have a chance against any of the remaining teams on their schedule minus Calgary and Vancouver twice.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
If you saw last night's game against Winnipeg (of all teams), it's not insane, they suck bad right now.

Edmonton scares me the most. I don't think they have a chance against any of the remaining teams on their schedule minus Calgary and Vancouver twice.

That's half their games. Those three are all winnable. If Edmonton can go 3-3 down the stretch, then we can go 4-6 down the stretch and finish below them. Wishful thinking...?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's half their games. Those three are all winnable. If Edmonton can go 3-3 down the stretch, then we can go 4-6 down the stretch and finish below them. Wishful thinking...?

Edmonton going .500 would be pretty nice. I was thinking more 2-4 for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad