2016 Summer Transfer Discussion Part V - Deadline Edition

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Legia Warsaw tried to sign Miroslav Klose but he turned them down, he is likely headed to MLS next season. He is a free agent

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah if Ronaldinho wanted to play in the MLS he would have no shortage of teams (assuming they could meet his financial demands).

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
didn't he have a deal with LAG set and last minute went to another league?

I don't believe so, but I may be wrong.

His camp puts out rumors like every few months that he's joining MLS, and I always see those connected within MLS say no one in MLS wants him.

My general point is that MLS isn't just some retirement league where you get an automatic spot, if you played in Europe. If Klose has absolutely nothing left, no one's going to want him. If he can still play at a decent level, he'll probably be wanted.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I don't believe so, but I may be wrong.

His camp puts out rumors like every few months that he's joining MLS, and I always see those connected within MLS say no one in MLS wants him.

My general point is that MLS isn't just some retirement league where you get an automatic spot, if you played in Europe. If Klose has absolutely nothing left, no one's going to want him. If he can still play at a decent level, he'll probably be wanted.

i totally agree with the last point...I know that last year Columbus wanted to bring Klose in...if he has anything left in the tank, I'd imagine some, but yeah, not sure how much...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The issue with some of those former stars in the MLS is that only a few teams can afford to pay them exuberant salaries, every other club is going to offer them a regular high MLS salary, which most of the time is under a million. Van der Vaart and Sporting KC ran into that issue.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The issue with some of those former stars in the MLS is that only a few teams can afford to pay them exuberant salaries, every other club is going to offer them a regular high MLS salary, which most of the time is under a million. Van der Vaart and Sporting KC ran into that issue.

This is the main issue. Any team in the MLS would want someone like Ronaldinho for example, even if just for the name brand recognition, but few if any can afford to pay what he would want to play there.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Legia Warsaw tried to sign Miroslav Klose but he turned them down, he is likely headed to MLS next season. He is a free agent

Bit of talk he could be on his way to A-league as a full season guest marquee.

Michael Essien is heading this way.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Klose had a pretty decent goal/min ratio at Lazio, he'd probably be one of the best strikers in MLS.

A washed up Drogba has the best goals/min ratio in the league.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Klose had a pretty decent goal/min ratio at Lazio, he'd probably be one of the best strikers in MLS.

A washed up Drogba has the best goals/min ratio in the league.

That was last season. This season he's 11th. I get your point though.

Washed up stars can do really well in MLS if they are coming to play, and earn their money. Not all succeed. Gerrard, Lampard and Pirlo all really struggled last season. This season they've all seemingly realized its not going to work to put in no effort, and expect to be very good. Nocerino is currently making a fool of himself. Nelson Valdez is struggling. Rafa Marquez struggled. Tim Cahill struggled.

It's a matter of how much Klose has left, and if he's coming for a holiday or coming to play football. The ones that come for a holiday and don't want to put in any effort don't succeed. Klose's also 38, so older than a lot of the washed up stars currently playing in MLS. He's also not under contract, so you have to question his fitness, having went nearly a year from his last game last season to his first game next season in MLS.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I wouldn't call Klose washed up. If you get him in a system where he's playing a pure poacher role he'll be dominant. If you expect him to track back for the ball you're not going to have a good time, even in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad