OT: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio de Janeiro

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I read two rowers fell into that dirty, disgusting water which measured at 248-million adenoviruses per litre.

RIP

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Well Genie is off to a good start with a 6-3 6-3 win over Sloan Stevens. Let's see how long she lasts.

Just heard she's up against Kerber next, good luck with that.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Greece won their first Water Polo match against Japan today. :handclap:

I don't follow much until the events in the stadium take place.

Will probably catch a few events here and there in the meantime.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I read two rowers fell into that dirty, disgusting water which measured at 248-million adenoviruses per litre.

RIP

Someone needs to make shirts that say "I went to the Rio games and came back disease free" or something. Wouldn't be surprised if someone came back with like Hep A through Z.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Well Genie is off to a good start with a 6-3 6-3 win over Sloan Stevens. Let's see how long she lasts.

Just heard she's up against Kerber next, good luck with that.

Genie is 3-1 vs Kerber. Gonna be hard but she's shown to be able to beat her. Her last victory vs Kerber was at the Rome Masters this year.

I enjoyed the Rugby 7 matches. Rugby is still weird though.

Rugby is ****ing awesome. And so is field hockey.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I like watching ping pong, I have fond memories of playing in high school.

I watched Canada's Zhang win her match earlier this morning and now she's tied 1-1 against some Hungarian. Go Zhang !

Always find it funny that there are so many players of chinese origins in this sport.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
The weight those 48kg women can lift is very impressive. They can lift double their weight on certain lifts, 116 kg. I'm 104 kg and there is not way I lift 200kg with Olympic lifts without breaking my back.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So who are you guys cheering for, the Urine Nation winners or those who finish out of the medals today but who will be vindicated 8 years from now when new tests catch up with existing doping technology?

These are the first olympics that I am not directly following. I'm putting my money on the athletes who have been supplied by Russian labcoats. Their pharmaceuticals are better than our pharmaceuticals.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Someone needs to make shirts that say "I went to the Rio games and came back disease free" or something. Wouldn't be surprised if someone came back with like Hep A through Z.

Another shirt someone could make is "I'm a PGA player and I proudly avoided drugs testing by saying i was afraid of the Zika virus".

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So who are you guys cheering for, the Urine Nation winners or those who finish out of the medals today but who will be vindicated 8 years from now when new tests catch up with existing doping technology?

These are the first olympics that I am not directly following. I'm putting my money on the athletes who have been supplied by Russian labcoats. Their pharmaceuticals are better than our pharmaceuticals.

Yeah, i guess that's why the whole country got caught...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
USA vs Puerto Rico was a great game tonight. Also nice to see Genie win her game.

RIP
Yeee-uck.

And folks are going to be swimming in that for some of the events. Totally crazy.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
the older I get, the more I wish they would use all that money on fixing these third world dumps, instead of flooding them with tourists and long term problems.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
the older I get, the more I wish they would use all that money on fixing these third world dumps, instead of flooding them with tourists and long term problems.
Read on article on that very topic yesterday. There's a lot of anger in Brazil over the Olympics.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Read on article on that very topic yesterday. There's a lot of anger in Brazil over the Olympics.

2 weeks of hype, then nobody can tell you who won what... and it's all for nothing. We get calls all year from Olympic athletes trying to sell their services, come into the company and charge money to hear them speak. It makes no sense to me. Pay an athlete money to talk to our construction managers about what it takes to succeed? An athlete that has never set foot on a construction site, hasn't dealt with unions.. but he wants 10k for a 1hour pep talk? Yeah, no thanks.

I'll take a glance at this year's Olympics, and then I'll remember none of it makes a real difference in my day to day life and move on.

Rio needs healthcare, infrastructure ... clean water... housing.. and money. These games? Not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad