2016 SI Sportsperson of the Year

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
There's a bit of time left in the year, but with not-too-many big events set to happen before the calendar turns over to 2016 (unless I'm forgetting something), I don't think it hurts to start discussing this now.

I'm betting on co-persons of the year: LeBron James and Theo Epstein.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
maxresdefault.jpg

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
LeBron already won Sportsman of the year in 2012- the only person to ever win that twice was Tiger Woods, so if history is an indication, I don't think he's gonna be named twice.

I think it should be the Cubs- the Red Sox got the same thing in 2004:

SI_RS_SotY.jpg

MaddyB85

Dec 2, 2014
Central Florida
I give it to the Cubs. The entire organization front to back deserves to win Sports People of the year.
I grew up in the Chicago area, and that team is so much more than a sports team. Cubs = Family. A family owned team from day one. So many folks from the good ol days can say they tuned into the Cubs either via radio of old black/white tv. You would watch Bozo Circus then tune into the Cubs game.
I remember that ballpark from the 60's when it was a small ballpark in a Polish/German neighborhood.
My only regret is my dad didn't get to see this.:(

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
LeBron. Brings an NBA title to Cleveland for the first time (and ending the Cleveland sporting drought) by leading the finals in every major stat which nobody has done. Triple double in game seven (only the third time ever) to cap off the 3-1 series comeback which has never been done against the defending champions who just broke the all time regular season win record.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
In sporting terms it has to be LeBron James for his historic performance in the NBA finals against a historic team in the Warriors. In terms of significance to American sports culture and lore though it would be the Cubs. I mean their win was one hundred and eight years in the making - how do you top that??

Will be interesting to see which one SI picks.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
SI's gotten it right two years in a row. Though I was torn between Serena and American Pharoah for last year.

LeBron was the correct choice. Yes, even over the Cubs. One of, if not the greatest finals performance in NBA history.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
The Cubs were the sentimental choice, on actual sporting performance what LeBron did was unparalleled.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
SI's gotten it right two years in a row. Though I was torn between Serena and American Pharoah for last year.

LeBron was the correct choice. Yes, even over the Cubs. One of, if not the greatest finals performance in NBA history.
Andy deserved it more than Serena. But Lebron is a fine choice, though I think the Cubs would have been a better one.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I agree with you and it's a safe bet that's what kihei meant.
Thanks kindly, but no. I'm an idiot who needs remedial reading so I can figure out what year I am supposed to be talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad