2016 Rio Olympics | FIELD HOCKEY | August 6th thru 19th |

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Some sort of artificial turf.

has it been raining there lately, or is that just this type of turf that every time they take a swipe it looks like splashes coming off? it's been happening every match I watch so I guess it's the turf. Is that normal in other tournaments etc?

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
has it been raining there lately, or is that just this type of turf that every time they take a swipe it looks like splashes coming off? it's been happening every match I watch so I guess it's the turf. Is that normal in other tournaments etc?

I believe the field gets watered before each game and at halftime.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I remember when I was watching field hockey during the London games and I was hoping the US would televise more of this sport. They won't but I enjoy sports I don't get to see very much. Looking forward to that Olympic channel.

As for Field Hockey, it looks interesting but I would think the shorter you are the more advantage you would have. Those sticks are short.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Canada's already done, apparently.....0-4 so far, with only a match against India to close out their Olympics. They won't be advancing. Shame, really. :help:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Canada's already done, apparently.....0-4 so far, with only a match against India to close out their Olympics. They won't be advancing. Shame, really. :help:

It really isn't . Canada wasn't expected to do a lot. It's a success they participated. You can't just expect a world class team to appear out of thin air. With a bit of luck they got some exposure and children will start playing.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I think long flat blades might be bad for passing. It's a lot more friction. Has anyone tried a wrister on a hockey pitch? Not sure if that'll work. Also, those guys wear almost no padding. The shots are already hard enough. Having stood in the way of a ball after a corner, I can tell you it's not nice.
Not sure what the issue is with the size of the pitch. It's small enough to allow for quick goal to goal action but big enough not to render half the team useless. If you make the pitch smaller, you have to eliminate players. But then we are talking about a different sport already.

Your stick is adjusted for your height. The taller you are the longer the stick and if you are a defender (not me) you may prefer a heavier stick to hit the ball longer and further.

You can execute wrist shots by getting the bottom of the stick under the ball and elevating it. For accuracy you move your hands close to the centre of the stick for placement nearer the top if you want to take a backswing with power.

Wrist shots are pretty rare. It's far easier to wait for the ball to be hit into the circle with pace and get the blade under for a deflection.

You do see dribbles although less often now given the speed of the players is greater now and it's rather difficult to control a ball on a rough grass surface where it is bobbling up and down. The team closest to Russia for example in terms of flair and stick handling is India and they used to be the dominant team in field hockey but have been left behind over the last thirty years.

Looks like they may be making a comeback with recent results. Interesting set of quarter finals with seven pretty competitive teams and Spain who probably are the weakest of the eight.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Anyone tune in to the tense penalty shoot-out between Germany and Holland in womens field hockey just now? That was fun to watch!

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Imagine if the NHL gave skaters eight seconds (and unlimited rebounds) to score a goal in a shootout. :laugh:
Imagine if these soccer teams also had field hockey teams with the same players. Who would win the league? I'll take Ajax.
RankClub / CountryPoints1-yr change
1Bayern München
Germany
2Manchester City
England
3Inter Milan
Italy
4Real Madrid
Spain
5Chelsea FC
England
6Liverpool FC