OLYMPIC HOCKEY CENTER

12249571_1155503514463097_7374109103354143541_n.jpg
deodoro_centro-de-hoquei-3renato-sette-camara_prefeitura-do-rio_0.jpg

rio_banner_base_template.png

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
why are the sticks so short and shaped like a candy cane? just seems to me like there would be better control of that ball if there was some form of actual blade and longer sticks? plus the filed is like the size of a soccer pitch lol

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
why are the sticks so short and shaped like a candy cane? just seems to me like there would be better control of that ball if there was some form of actual blade and longer sticks? plus the filed is like the size of a soccer pitch lol
Because it's the rules.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
oh wow that was brilliant and eye opening, I would have never thought of that, thanks!

they had what looked to me like a perfectly good goal disallowed

It was not really a good question. Why is a sport the way it is? Why isn't the basket in basketball half a meter lower? Should be easier to score. Why ist a sabre in fencing longer? Should be easier to hit. Why do you have to use a queue in pool? It's easier doing it with your hands. It's because that's the sport. What you really wanted to say is, why isn't hockey like ice hockey. Because it's just not.
And you have plenty of control over the ball with the short stick.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
It was not really a good question. Why is a sport the way it is? Why isn't the basket in basketball half a meter lower? Should be easier to score. Why ist a sabre in fencing longer? Should be easier to hit. Why do you have to use a queue in pool? It's easier doing it with your hands. It's because that's the sport. What you really wanted to say is, why isn't hockey like ice hockey. Because it's just not.
And you have plenty of control over the ball with the short stick.

indeed, why isn't it more like ice hockey...well obviously because it just isn't. But from my observations I have the right to criticize what I'm seeing. Just seems to me like there's less control of the ball with those sticks, which is why there isn't that many actual dangles and such, also why they have to do those weird chops if they want to pass the ball with distance and also if they want power to score a goal. It's like basically there's no wrist shots :laugh: and the field is humongous

just think the sport could be improved if they had different sticks and shorter field.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
indeed, why isn't it more like ice hockey...well obviously because it just isn't. But from my observations I have the right to criticize what I'm seeing. Just seems to me like there's less control of the ball with those sticks, which is why there isn't that many actual dangles and such, also why they have to do those weird chops if they want to pass the ball with distance and also if they want power to score a goal. It's like basically there's no wrist shots :laugh: and the field is humongous

just think the sport could be improved if they had different sticks and shorter field.
I think long flat blades might be bad for passing. It's a lot more friction. Has anyone tried a wrister on a hockey pitch? Not sure if that'll work. Also, those guys wear almost no padding. The shots are already hard enough. Having stood in the way of a ball after a corner, I can tell you it's not nice.
Not sure what the issue is with the size of the pitch. It's small enough to allow for quick goal to goal action but big enough not to render half the team useless. If you make the pitch smaller, you have to eliminate players. But then we are talking about a different sport already.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
I think long flat blades might be bad for passing. It's a lot more friction. Has anyone tried a wrister on a hockey pitch? Not sure if that'll work. Also, those guys wear almost no padding. The shots are already hard enough. Having stood in the way of a ball after a corner, I can tell you it's not nice.
Not sure what the issue is with the size of the pitch. It's small enough to allow for quick goal to goal action but big enough not to render half the team useless. If you make the pitch smaller, you have to eliminate players. But then we are talking about a different sport already.

fair enough, I still watch it because it's a form of hockey and it's interesting to me, but I just found myself wanting to see a form closer to ice hockey...because, well it's the best sport in the planet :D

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
fair enough, I still watch it because it's a form of hockey and it's interesting to me, but I just found myself wanting to see a form closer to ice hockey...because, well it's the best sport in the planet :D

It's all good. That's how I understood your original comment. Everyone craves what they know. We're here on a hockey (ice) board after all. Watch some more on the field, it's an amazing sport that's a lot of fun. And it's still some form of hockey.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
LOL U.S. nearly allows 2 goals to Australia when they are up 2 players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad