2016 Rio Olympics | Ceremonies and General Discussion

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Better Tokyo than Toronto. :laugh:

Can you imagine Kathleen Wynne on an Olympic budget?

Tsk, tsk, Modo. You should know better. :naughty:

But yes, definitely not a fan of any future Toronto bids.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'll be shocked if LA does not win the 2024 Summer Olympics. The continent rotation favors them and the USOC and IOC have repaired their rift. Paris and Rome remain strong contenders, and yet I can't imagine the IOC passing on a North American host again.

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
I'll be shocked if LA does not win the 2024 Summer Olympics. The continent rotation favors them and the USOC and IOC have repaired their rift. Paris and Rome remain strong contenders, and yet I can't imagine the IOC passing on a North American host again.

I can't remember where I said this (perhaps here, dunno), but the Rams moving to LA might have made them the favorite, because there will be a nice new stadium for soccer/track and field/opening and closing ceremonies, that will be used after the games and not be a white elephant.

But, if they don't win 2024, look for Salt Lake City to bid and win 2026.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

I also think LA will be getting it. My only regret is that they are using Wilson Golf Course for the bid rather than Pebble Beach. I get that Pebble Beach is a fair ways away but it would be awesome as an Olympic venue.

Vamos Rafa

I own Voight
Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I don't know about you guys but there are times when I would rather get the bronze than the silver. You actually win to get the bronze while you're coming off a loss to get the silver.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I also think LA will be getting it. My only regret is that they are using Wilson Golf Course for the bid rather than Pebble Beach. I get that Pebble Beach is a fair ways away but it would be awesome as an Olympic venue.

Pebble Beach is overrated. I'd prefer Olympic, if they were just going to pick any course in California.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
From a lot of things I've read - Rome is seen as the front runner. It won't go to Paris because of the security issues (which is sad for me, because I think paris would throw a beautiful Games), and i don't know if they'd bring the games to LA. if it were me, I'd rather the Winter Games in the USA. (just as a what I'd prefer)

I wouldn't complain too much if Toronto made a bids on the games, because I think it would benefit our athletes greatly and a lot of things that NEED to be improved, would be.

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
From a lot of things I've read - Rome is seen as the front runner. It won't go to Paris because of the security issues (which is sad for me, because I think paris would throw a beautiful Games), and i don't know if they'd bring the games to LA. if it were me, I'd rather the Winter Games in the USA. (just as a what I'd prefer)

I wouldn't complain too much if Toronto made a bids on the games, because I think it would benefit our athletes greatly and a lot of things that NEED to be improved, would be.

Why don't you know if they would bring the games to LA? And what would make Rome the favorite? Italy has hosted an Olympics more recently than the United States (2006 vs 2002).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why don't you know if they would bring the games to LA? And what would make Rome the favorite? Italy has hosted an Olympics more recently than the United States (2006 vs 2002).

and China hosted the 2008, games, and Asia is hosting 3 olympiads in a row. I am thinking it's not as big a thing as it was before. As well as NBC pushing for events being at certain times (or certain dates period), where you could play the timezone angle... again it might not be as big as a deal for the IOC anymore.

Again, it's just things that I've read that Rome could be seen as a front runner. Rome's mayor currently is anti-Games so that could hurt. I also know that a stronger "story" celebration could be the 250th anniversary and that could help a Winter Games bid. I'm not saying LA couldn't win, they could, just - what what i've read, Rome's bid is really strong and is seen as the front runner.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
and China hosted the 2008, games, and Asia is hosting 3 olympiads in a row. I am thinking it's not as big a thing as it was before. As well as NBC pushing for events being at certain times (or certain dates period), where you could play the timezone angle... again it might not be as big as a deal for the IOC anymore.

Again, it's just things that I've read that Rome could be seen as a front runner. Rome's mayor currently is anti-Games so that could hurt. I also know that a stronger "story" celebration could be the 250th anniversary and that could help a Winter Games bid. I'm not saying LA couldn't win, they could, just - what what i've read, Rome's bid is really strong and is seen as the front runner.

I think Paris is the front runner. Rome is a strong candidate, yeah, but the majority of people don't want the Olympics (as of now), they are too expensive and our current economic situation doesn't help.

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
Overnight sports events are the best. That's why I love the Australian Open living on the west coast. Nothing like tennis beginning at midnight.

Yeah, that's why I love 10PM baseball games. Could end at midnight. Could end at 2AM.

I think Paris is the front runner. Rome is a strong candidate, yeah, but the majority of people don't want the Olympics (as of now), they are too expensive and our current economic situation doesn't help.

On GamesBids, the forum members there took a vote, and Paris came in first, with LA second, Rome third, and Budapest fourth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad