GDT: 2016 Playoffs: Running Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So is this the first time the Cup winning goalie has more Playoff wins, than total career regular season wins?

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Well, Pittsburgh deserved it, i mean they've been what, a couple years since a pro championship? hah

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Cool for Hagelin. Ended up on the right team at the right time. Funnily enough, all 3 of the teams he's been on have been to the conference final or Stanley Cup Final in the past 3 years. :laugh:

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Honestly though, what a lackluster performance from the Sharks. Not only in this game but in quite a few games in this series. Amazing they managed to take it to 6.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Sharks were disappointing...or they just overachieved before.

giphy.gif

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yep, happy for Cullen. Wanted to see the Sharks win collectively much more. Oh well.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
This was really the last chance for some guys in teal. Sucks to see the Pens get it. Meanwhile, Justin Schultz must be thanking his lucky stars.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
This was really the last chance for some guys in teal. Sucks to see the Pens get it. Meanwhile, Justin Schultz must be thanking his lucky stars.

I feel for Marleau and Thornton. Seriously, feels so bad. **** Vlasic though.

Extra-happy for Määttä, all the **** he's been through (cancer, mumps, concussions, other injuries) he won it all. Also happy for Cullen and Kessel, damn Kessel deserves this after the ********* in Toronto. Also Schultz must be so happy, from perennial lottery team to winning the cup. And he played well! Just shows how toxic Edmonton is with that management in place.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I feel for Marleau and Thornton. Seriously, feels so bad. **** Vlasic though.

Extra-happy for Määttä, all the **** he's been through (cancer, mumps, concussions, other injuries) he won it all. Also happy for Cullen and Kessel, damn Kessel deserves this after the ********* in Toronto. Also Schultz must be so happy, from perennial lottery team to winning the cup. And he played well! Just shows how toxic Edmonton is with that management in place.

Pretty much exactly how I felt. I like some individuals on the Pens and are happy for them, especially Kessel who I feel has always been **** on by the press, fans, health, etc. And I mean, who could stay mad when a bearded toddler looks so happy? :laugh:

But I also feel pretty bad for Jumbo Joe. Hard to imagine he has much of a shot after this. Then again, I read he'll probably go live in Switzerland with his Swiss wife and kids after his contract is up, so I guess maybe I should actually be jealous :D

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Bummed the Pens won, but they played great this series. San Jose just didn't have enough gas left in the tank to keep going. It was a great series overall and I hope the Sharks have one more run with Thornton and Marleau in them (assuming the Wild aren't in their path :naughty:)

Also happy for Cullen and Kessel, damn Kessel deserves this after the ********* in Toronto.

Kessel should have gotten the Conn Smythe for that "Hot Dog"article alone! :laugh:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
A little belated, but I have to say that during this year's playoffs, I really noticed (maybe for the first time) that I actually miss fighting. Never thought I'd say that.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
A little belated, but I have to say that during this year's playoffs, I really noticed (maybe for the first time) that I actually miss fighting. Never thought I'd say that.

Well its something to get the heated physical play up. Teams are playing smarter because penalties are costing them games. I still firmly believe if the Wild actually could score on the PP and their PK was back up to par they would have beaten Dallas and taken it to St. Louis. San Jose would have been a different story.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Well its something to get the heated physical play up. Teams are playing smarter because penalties are costing them games. .

You know, that's a point that gets tossed around a lot, but I really don't buy it. The fact of the matter is, players will play as close to the line as possible, but the line is constantly moving. And in the playoffs especially, refs pretty much just put their whistles away.

I've complained about it ad nauseam on these boards, but it kills me how much interference is allowed, even when it's supposed to be illegal. Something that ostentatiously takes away from skilled players' abilities to be creative and fast, and the league is fine with it for whatever reason.

Anyway, my point about fighting was that back when they first started cracking down on it, lots of old timers were flipping out, and I just didn't care, because I always hated that teams wasted a roster spot or two on enforcers instead of skill guys. But now it just seems like there's not as much passion on the ice, teams don't hate each other anymore, etc. I dunno. Unintended consequences, I guess.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Lionel Hutz asks them if they could picture a world without lawyers and everyone is happy and holding hands.

Teams still hate one another, but ya the days of brawls between Colorado and Detroit are over. They want the game to appeal to a much younger and family oriented crowd. They'll never get that if Suburban Mommy see Bertuzzi take a swing at someone and knock him out cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad