GDT: 2016 Playoffs: Running Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Way to go Sharks! Really glad for the Sharks lifers who are finally getting there.

Edit: Forget sometimes that Thornton played for the Bruins.. seems like a loooong time ago. Happy for him too still.

Last edited:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Super stoked for Jumbo and Co.

I really really hope they get a Cup, they 'deserve' it more than either of those east teams.

Go Sharks Go!!

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
I went to college about 5 minutes down the road from the Shark Tank so they became my second favorite team. Super pumped for them and my college buddies who are Sharks fans!

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
A Finn (Donskoi/Määttä) will have a name on the cup this year.

A Gopher will have a name on the cup this year.

Either Kessel or Reimer will have a name on the cup this year.

Either Burns or Cullen will have a name on the cup this year (Cullen a cup already am I right?)

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Watching the playoffs really highlights the difference in skill level between our team and a Tampa, Pitt, or the Sharks. Amazing skill sets out there and multiple actors with them. The difference runs through all four lines and it is dramatic.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought we had real trouble making simple passes this year. I don't know why, and what it indicates.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Jesus. Main board is so toxic. Pens fans are 100% convinced they're gonna win the cup now, and the Sharks fans are already jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Series hasn't even gone to San Jose yet...

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Was hoping San Jose could pull that one out.

Pitt has looked way better so far this series overall. Martin Jones has been a beast though.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
StealthClobber said:
Jesus. Main board is so toxic. Pens fans are 100% convinced they're gonna win the cup now, and the Sharks fans are already jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge.

Series hasn't even gone to San Jose yet...

I know I shouldn't be this way (and going too far with it is against board rules), but I have a hard time stomaching Pens' success, largely because of their fans. Not that the base is unique in any way, of course; if the Wild were magically great overnight, we'd have tons of annoying, "I've been here since the start!" types, too, and probably way more of them. I just get sick of (for instance) NBC constantly smacking us over the head telling us how great the Penguins' fanbase is, when they're really no different than any other team: if management develops a great team with good chances of success, they're more likely to pack the house on any given night, not to mention the playoffs. But as fans, I'm sure it's hard not to internalize that and become cocky; that's kinda how pro sports works, I suppose.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I get the opposite feeling when my teams are doing well. I feel like if I get cocky, it increased the likelihood of the team losing when it counts the most. So every time the Wild get in, I am happy, but always quietly optimistic. Gophers in the Natty recently, never said Union was an easy win, but many did, and look what happens. Egg meet face.

The Chicago Cubs are killing me right now. I want to be gloating like a crazy SOB, but I ain't about to ruin what magic they have right now. lol

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Please win Sharks.

Edit: Woooo! Maybe I should have posted that earlier! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I know I shouldn't be this way (and going too far with it is against board rules), but I have a hard time stomaching Pens' success, largely because of their fans. Not that the base is unique in any way, of course; if the Wild were magically great overnight, we'd have tons of annoying, "I've been here since the start!" types, too, and probably way more of them. I just get sick of (for instance) NBC constantly smacking us over the head telling us how great the Penguins' fanbase is, when they're really no different than any other team: if management develops a great team with good chances of success, they're more likely to pack the house on any given night, not to mention the playoffs. But as fans, I'm sure it's hard not to internalize that and become cocky; that's kinda how pro sports works, I suppose.

I share your feelings. Been thinking the same recently (international success for Finns for example).

But it's not only winning. The company where I work, we've had very tough times for many years. Same when sports teams have losing streaks, name it. The amount if accusations and negativity. It's always the others..

Feels like the humanity, reason, respect, integrity and history (understanding where we came from, what have we gone thru) kind of disappears when either winning or losing too much.

I guess human nature is made for mediocrity in the end. We're the most bearable as persons when things are not too well or not too bad. Human mind needs hope, but can't cope with success. It's the journey, not the destination like they say.

Winning is fun and great, don't get me wrong. Some side effects are just ugly.

PS. Go Sharks!

Last edited:

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Well I think I've had enough of the main board for the rest of the playoffs. When there are that many morons who say that the anthem by Metallica was "awful", I can't even begin to believe their opinions on hockey are anything close to founded.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
that last sequence is one of my favorite things about hockey, where it's like the shooter trying to outwait the goalie and the goalie is scrambling and sliding to stay with him, ultimate game of chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad