GDT: 2016 PLAYOFF PUSH|'The Fight' to be Formidable Playoffs Foes|Pittsburgh Penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
145930366234929_zpswn100t86.gif

Let's watch as the Pens make or break their season moving forward into the playoffs.

03-29-16-Infogfx-BUF.jpg

STANDINGS

Atlantic: 1. Tampa - 93 | 2. Florida - 93 | 3. Boston - 88 | (WC#2) Flyers - 87 points

Metropolitan: 1. Capitals - 111 |2. NYR - 95 | 3. Pittsburgh - 94 | (WC#1) NYI - 91 points

Detroit - 1 points out
Devils - 5 points out
Canes - 5 points out

ROSTER

(CENTER)

Crosby
Malkin
Bonino
Fehr
Cullen

(RIGHT WING)

Kessel
Hornqvist
Bennett
Rust

(LEFT WING)

Kunitz
Hagelin
Kuhnhackl
Wilson

(DEFENCE)

(LS)<|>(RS)
Maatta|Letang
Dumoulin|Daley
Pouliot|Cole
Schultz

Lovejoy

(GOALTENDERS)

Marc-Andre Fleury|Jeff Zatkoff/Matt Murray

INJURIES:

Malkin
Maatta
Kunitz
Dumoulin

145712489810254_zps6qa1xhbw.png

rjb-dollface.jpg

tumblr_n1a78orDZt1swz1xuo1_500.gif

Last edited:

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Flyers loss and Pens win was huge last night.

Need to go for 2 for 2 this weekend.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think putting Hagelin with Crosby and making it work is going to be a key to playoff success, whatever that may be. Sid needs a speedy guy on his line a lot more than Malkin does, so giving Malkin both of the team's fastest wingers and saddling Crosby with two slower players seems like a recipe for disaster. I like what I saw from the adjusted lines last night, and provided Kunitz can hold it together on the second line, I think that combination gives the Pens their best chance to succeed.

They may not be cup contenders, but I believe they're capable of putting up a respectable performance, even against a really tough team like Washington, in a playoff series. If Sullivan sticks with what works, I don't think this year's playoffs will be a total wash.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Yeah, we really need to keep the lines we had in the second half of last night's game, at least until it stops working. Or at least the top two lines sans Kunitz. But since I don't see Kunitz getting demoted, keep him with Geno and Phil. If the lines stop being effective then change it up, but it makes no sense to change it until then.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
How will the Flames survive without Bobby Orr Simon Despres Kris Russell????

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Our most favorable catchups are against the Atlantic IMO. Preferably Florida or the Red Wings. If we got the rags or caps we still have a chance but its a toss up. There could be a similar result between pens vs caps like the ducks and hawks. Caps will dominate physically but the pen need to use their speed and let them tire them selves out.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, we really need to keep the lines we had in the second half of last night's game, at least until it stops working. Or at least the top two lines sans Kunitz. But since I don't see Kunitz getting demoted, keep him with Geno and Phil. If the lines stop being effective then change it up, but it makes no sense to change it until then.

Kunitz does less damage on a line with Geno and Phil. It matters a little bit less that he can't carry the puck when both of his linemates can rather than just one.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Kunitz does less damage on a line with Geno and Phil. It matters a little bit less that he can't carry the puck when both of his linemates can rather than just one.

True, and it is reminiscent of the Kunitz - Malkin - Neal mega line from a few years back. I worry about consistent effort and defensive responsibility with that wing pair though. When motivated they are fine, but you have to keep them motivated. Hopefully Mike Sullivan will keep Wilson and Bennett on stand by to insert for a sleepy Kunitz or Kessel to keep them on point.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I'm really shocked at how bad things turned out for the Flames this year. Don't get me wrong, I knew they overachieved last season and that teams we're not going to take them lightly this year, but they still had a pretty solid off season IMO getting better and things really just turned out awful for them. I know their goalie situation didn't help but still I'm really surprised.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm really shocked at how bad things turned out for the Flames this year. Don't get me wrong, I knew they overachieved last season and that teams we're not going to take them lightly this year, but they still had a pretty solid off season IMO getting better and things really just turned out awful for them. I know their goalie situation didn't help but still I'm really surprised.

That's why you don't bank on a team of young players having career seasons.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
ya! that's it! stick him with geno,...... find out how much abuse geno can take

Looks like you missed the point completely.

True, and it is reminiscent of the Kunitz - Malkin - Neal mega line from a few years back. I worry about consistent effort and defensive responsibility with that wing pair though. When motivated they are fine, but you have to keep them motivated. Hopefully Mike Sullivan will keep Wilson and Bennett on stand by to insert for a sleepy Kunitz or Kessel to keep them on point.

Ehh I don't know if I agree it's like KMN simply because Kunitz isn't the same player that he was. Kunitz used to be an animal along the boards and worked to get the puck for Geno and Neal. He doesn't do that anymore.

Phil is never going to be great defensively, and that's something that we just have to accept. The goal is to make sure that the line is in the offensive zone as much as possible to avoid the possibility of him playing defense. I'd love for Wilson or Bennett to eventually replace Kunitz in the top-6, but it seems unlikely at this point for the former (I think it would have happened by now) and I have no clue how Sullivan feels about the latter.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
We kind of need 2 wins here this weekene against teams with nothing to play for (devils in theory still have a chance on the playoffs, but i doubt they even believe it themselves).

We cant afford losses to non playoff teams seeing the schedule we have left. I rather not the games vs the Flyers be make or break games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man that Flames team is horrendous, the Pens can make a 7pt buffer against the Flyers if they don't ***** the bed against the Flames.

I'm just hoping Sid and Geno run up the score, pad some stats, get closer to top 5.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Schneider got injured last night so Pens may face Devils' backup goalie on Sunday.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I doubt zatkoff ever starts for the pens again. If the pens trust murray against the caps then he will play against the devils.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
I think I would prefer to see the Pens play the Caps in the first round. Who knows how long the Pens will stick around in the playoffs, but an opportunity to beat the Caps in "their year" excites me given the fact that this team should really not have high expectations going into the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad