OT: 2016 Ottawa Music Festival and Concerts Thread

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Well, I started the 2015 thread so I thought I would get a early go at the 2016 thread.

Let's start with the Bluesfest rumours. As always, the best way to deduce who will be playing at Bluesfest is to see who is on tour. Two factors are usually great indications: 1) A band announces a cross-Canada tour but inexplicably omits Ottawa (see the Tragically Hip's spring tour last year) and 2) A band announces a tour, has a gap during BF dates, and will be in the area.

With that, I give you four very strong contenders for Bluesfest 2016.

Metric - Cross Canada spring tour, hitting such metropolitan centres as Kingston and St Catherines

Death Cab for Cutie - Co-headlining the same tour with Metric

Duran Duran - In the area during Bluesfest (TO - July 13th) and four days off.

Chic feat. Nile Rodgers - Same tour as Duran Duran

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Well, I started the 2015 thread so I thought I would get a early go at the 2016 thread.

Let's start with the Bluesfest rumours. As always, the best way to deduce who will be playing at Bluesfest is to see who is on tour. Two factors are usually great indications: 1) A band announces a cross-Canada tour but inexplicably omits Ottawa (see the Tragically Hip's spring tour last year) and 2) A band announces a tour, has a gap during BF dates, and will be in the area.

With that, I give you four very strong contenders for Bluesfest 2016.

Metric - Cross Canada spring tour, hitting such metropolitan centres as Kingston and St Catherines

Death Cab for Cutie - Co-headlining the same tour with Metric

Duran Duran - In the area during Bluesfest (TO - July 13th) and four days off.

Chic feat. Nile Rodgers - Same tour as Duran Duran

I suppose we should just pencil in Blue Rodeo already.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I suppose we should just pencil in Blue Rodeo already.

Lol I hope they continue with some big hip hop names. Tbh Wu tang was amazing and first time in Canada, they said they played Quebec City and Ottawa and were going back to US.

It's big enough to get attention that's for sure.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
2016 Rumored Pearl Jam Tour Dates:

4/8 Ft Lauderdale
4/9 Miami
4/11 Tampa
4/13 Jacksonville
4/15 Atlanta (a second person also confirmed)
4/16 Nashville
4/18 Columbia SC
4/20 Charlotte
4/21 Raleigh
4/23 Lexington
4/26 Pittsburgh
4/28&29 Philly
5/1&2 NYC
5/5 Buffalo
5/6 Albany or Hartford
5/8 Quebec
5/10 Ottawa
5/11 Montreal
5/13&14 Toronto

saw someone had tickets in T.O for may 13 and 14 for sale on kijiji, he said vip season ticket holders got advance chance to buy... but I can't find anything confirmed anywhere else yet

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
1) A band announces a cross-Canada tour but inexplicably omits Ottawa (see the Tragically Hip's spring tour last year)

Is there a reason why a band couldn't come here twice, once while on tour and then again at Bluesfest? I'd rather either see two shows, or one band on tour and then have Bluesfest allocate the funds that would go to that band to another band that normally wouldn't tour here.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
City & Colour have a Canadian tour planned and no Ottawa show has been listed. He's been a Bluesfest regular just like a Metric so gotta figure he'll be here in July!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Metric has been one of my fave bands for like 10 years, and it has just never worked out that I make it to a show since I'm usually out of town during the summers. Hopefully they do play bluesfest this year.

I hate arena shows. Festivals >>>>> arena shows.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It seems to me it's more difficult *not* to see Metric than to see Metric given how often they come to Ottawa. :)

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It seems to me it's more difficult *not* to see Metric than to see Metric given how often they come to Ottawa. :)

Tell me about it. I even missed them during frosh week at my own school years back because we got too drunk in the morning to attend.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Adele has announced the North American part of her tour.

Two shows in Montreal, Sept. 30 and October 1.

Four shows in Toronto in the first week of Toronto.

Great. I can spend 400 dollars to go and feel depressed for 2 hours. Sounds amazing.

On second thought, I think I'll go to Toronto for Springstein. Because I like fun.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
NOFX
Cannnibal Corpse
Bring me the horizon

first 3 bands announced for Rockfest 2016 in Montebello.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Garth Brooks is coming to Ottawa.

April 2, tickets on sale January 22.

Cannot wait for this!

I know there are not a lot of country music fans here but if anyone has access to any promo codes or pre sale info any help would be awesome. I need to get tickets for this and they will sell out in minutes. Thanks in advance

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
For you country fans, Bluesfest usually books the same country headliners as Cavendish Beach festival, so good chance to see Kenny Chesney and Blake Shelton at Bluesfest this year.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Sting and Peter Gabriel Are in Montreal July 5 and if that duo doesnt scream BLUESFEST, I dont know who would!

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Bluesfest stars July 7th. They are in Quebec City that day and then Chicago on the 9th.

While logistically possible, since there are no stage set up requirements for BF acts other that some specialized lighting, Ottawa to Chicago on their tour buses in a day seems like a rough go.

Doesn't seem likely, especially with the dollar being where it is and the effects it is having on booking acts. CBC has an article on it today.

WebNewfie

Nov 5, 2008
Bluesfest stars July 7th. They are in Quebec City that day and then Chicago on the 9th.

While logistically possible, since there are no stage set up requirements for BF acts other that some specialized lighting, Ottawa to Chicago on their tour buses in a day seems like a rough go.

Doesn't seem likely, especially with the dollar being where it is and the effects it is having on booking acts. CBC has an article on it today.

Was just coming to post the same. Seems like it might be a light year for big names at festivals. Less impact to stadium shows I'd suspect, but tough with the smaller margins for festival promoters.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/low-loonie-music-festivals-1.3412287

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm no concert-booking expert, but I think the difference between festivals and regular tours is that for stadium shows, acts get the majority of the gate + merch and the venue gets concessions + smaller percentage of the gate. Basically, what they get paid depends on the gate.

For festivals, I think acts are just paid an appearance fee.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
I'm no concert-booking expert, but I think the difference between festivals and regular tours is that for stadium shows, acts get the majority of the gate + merch and the venue gets concessions + smaller percentage of the gate. Basically, what they get paid depends on the gate.

For festivals, I think acts are just paid an appearance fee.

I see......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad