2016 NLDS: Washington Nationals (2) Vs. Los Angeles Dodgers (3) - Series Discussion

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
The Dodgers made a deal with the Devil after the All-Star break. How else do you explain what happened after Kershaw went down in June and the Giants blew the NL West?

Dodgers fans might as well be rooting for the Sharks and vice-versa.

God help us all if there's a race riot in L.A. and a sausage party riot in San Jose, the same way four years after the Knicks won the NBA Title, The Bronx ended up burning. :help:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Dodgers made a deal with the Devil after the All-Star break. How else do you explain what happened after Kershaw went down in June and the Giants blew the NL West?

They overachieved for sure. Maeda was nothing special after May 15th and Hill was brutal after August 1st. They won some sort of absurd amount of games this year too when trailing after 6 or 7. I think at one point in May they won 5 days in a row when they trailed entering the 8th.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Roberts says Kershaw told him he was ready to back up Jansen when they were in the 8th. Basically talked him into letting him pitch. Madman.

win or lose it was the right decision. it is all hands on deck in a elimination game. recent history shows teams have been more than willing to bring in their ace to close a game out with the series on the line.
really didn't think there was anyway LA was winning tonight. figured the Nats would crush Hill and the Nats would coast home.
glad I was wrong. Not gonna lie, I don't like the Dodgers but they are the lesser of 2 evils in this series :laugh:

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
BattleBorn, Belieber, Big Poppa Puck, Blackhawkswincup, Caps 74, Caps Circle, Chairman Mallard, Clowe Me, duckbrave15, kingsholygrail, Mightygoose, mint, PG Canuck, PopaneNightscare, Thorntonfan97, Voight
Dummies.

giphy.gif

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
To be a Washington DC sports fan.... I don't know how you guys deal with this.

Seriously, it's as if they can't have nice things ever.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Congrats Dodgers. You basically had to rent a couple of aging Phillies to not underachieve in the LDS for once.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kenley Jansen turning into 2004-Keith Foulke last night. That stuff was the height of playoff baseball.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Dusty Baker. Post season fail streak intact. Soooo glad hes gone from the Cubs. Condolences to the Nats. Media comments will be interesting.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
The last time a Washington baseball team won a playoff series was 1924 with Walter Johnson pitching 4 innings of scoreless relief.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Dusty Baker. Post season fail streak intact. Soooo glad hes gone from the Cubs. Condolences to the Nats. Media comments will be interesting.

Baker carried Cubs to brink of WS and then watched as Prior/Wood fell apart. Not his fault Cubs put all there success on shoulders of those two pitchers

Never have understood the hatred Cub fans have for Baker

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Baker carried Cubs to brink of WS and then watched as Prior/Wood fell apart. Not his fault Cubs put all there success on shoulders of those two pitchers

Baker carried several teams to the brink. His failure as a manager is well noted. Whether its bad luck or karma, I dont have that answer. When things go bad in a series game, the manager is supposed to hopefully take over and right the ship. Dustys ships have clearly sunk.

As far as hatred, hes a loser. Hes regarded as a players manager but hey whos gives a flying burrito about that. I dont know if Prior and Woods arms would have fallen apart on their own but Ill blame it on Dustys poor management and overuse. I need to blame someone on this. I was laughing when he pulled Scherzer out after 99 pitch count. Was Wood and Prior in the back of his mind. Who knows. Coincidence? Perhaps. Glad hes gone. White Sox can potentially pick him up if hes every dumped by the Nats.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There's more emphasis on pitch counts today than there was 15 years ago. There's also that to consider before you rip apart Dusty.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Baker makes atrocious moves all the time in the playoffs with removing starters. I saw it myself in 2000 at game 4 of the NLDS which I mentioned once before. He let Mark Gardner bat in an elimination game vs the Mets when the Giants loaded the bases in the 5th down 2-0 after Bobby Jones had 1 hit them through 4 2/3. Gardner popped out. The bottom half of the inning the Mets first 2 batters reached and Baker pulls Gardner. The Giants never had another baserunner the rest of the game. I think that is even worse than the Prior incident was.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

And they probably never beat the Yankees anyway. I always tell Cubs fans as painful as that was, it would have been more painful had they faced the Yankees in the World Series and lost.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i'm far from a dusty fan but i agreed with the fangraphs article today.

if you trusted scherzer in a one run game but pull him the instant the game is tied, why is he out there? it's not like you're turning grandal around, he's a switch hitter with decent splits. tholes is after him and scherzer is perfectly capable of getting him out.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
And they probably never beat the Yankees anyway. I always tell Cubs fans as painful as that was, it would have been more painful had they faced the Yankees in the World Series and lost.

I think so too, but ending the 1945 Billy Goat curse would have probably earned him some gratitude and 'Hey, at least you did something we won't forget' from a positive perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00