2016 NHL Prospect Tournament roster released

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Detroit Red WingsThe Detroit Red Wings have announced their 2016 roster for the NHL prospect tournament at Centre ICE Arena in Traverse City, MI. (LINK)

m3wIUdj.png

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Glad they invited Kirwan again. Wouldn't mind them giving him a contract, if that's still a possibility.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Not the lines, but wanted to see who was where. I know Svechnikov is listed as LW, but I think he would play C?

Bertuzzi - Svechnikov - Nastasiuk
Sadowy - Turgeon - Smith
Coleman - de Wit - Marsh
Kirwan - Borkowski - Brazeau

Santos/Criscuolo

Hicketts - Russo
Renouf - Hronek
Sambrook - Coghlan

Caito

Paterson
Hicks
Dhillon

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Not the lines, but wanted to see who was where. I know Svechnikov is listed as LW, but I think he would play C?

Bertuzzi - Svechnikov - Nastasiuk
Sadowy - Turgeon - Smith
Coleman - de Wit - Marsh
Kirwan - Borkowski - Brazeau

Santos/Criscuolo

Hicketts - Russo
Renouf - Hronek
Sambrook - Coghlan

Caito

Paterson
Hicks
Dhillon

QMJHL's site has him listed as a RW. But it also shows that hes taken a decent number of faceoffs, but clearly not enough to have played center full time. He only had like 500 faceoffs which is like a third of what a full time 1C in the Q would take. IDK if he'll ever be a center in the NHL, but then again someone like claude Giroux played wing in the Q too and look where he is now.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Why no Cholowski?

Very interested in hearing/seeing how those d-men look next to eachother.
Those returning or going to college don't generally take part in this tournament because they would have to pay for all their own expenses per NCAA rules.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Smith, Svechnikov, Hronek, and Hicketts do. A good tournament could bleed into a good camp, get some momentum going on the year for them. I'm expecting Bertuzzi and Russo to do well regardless.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Smith, Svechnikov, Hronek, and Hicketts do. A good tournament could bleed into a good camp, get some momentum going on the year for them. I'm expecting Bertuzzi and Russo to do well regardless.

I'm especially looking forward to Hicketts, I really see some Torey Krug in him.
And I also see some Dallas Drake/Andrew Shaw 40 points pest with Bertuzzi.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm especially looking forward to Hicketts, I really see some Torey Krug in him.

I think it's going to come down to his skating. He has got to be quick enough to negate his size disadvantage. Also, I think the Wings will have to be willing to live with him not being the best in his own zone just because his size will be such a disadvantage whenever the other team grabs possession down there.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Krug is not only bigger than Hicketts but is a much, much better skater. Hicketts is a nice story and is fun to watch, but I can't buy the idea that he is a legit NHL prospect.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I hope Bertuzzi and G.Smith play together at some point in this tournament. They played together briefly in Guelph and were a serious pain to play against.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I really need to see what he looks like against AHL competition. It's a pretty big jump.

I know he produced well in the WHL, but not sure he will be able to pull a lot of that stuff at the next level. He is a good passer though, and he gets shots through. Think he will have to adapt his game a bit, maybe into a more Mike Weaver type role. Don't think you can be an offensive defenseman at the NHL (or even AHL) level as a 5'7"/5'8" guy that is just a good/okay skater, unless you are a wizard puck handler/passer like Sam Girard or Adam Almqvist. Girard is a much better lateral skater though, and we all know Almqvist never made it in the NHL even though he had crazy offensive awareness and passing abilities.

I think it's going to come down to his skating. He has got to be quick enough to negate his size disadvantage. Also, I think the Wings will have to be willing to live with him not being the best in his own zone just because his size will be such a disadvantage whenever the other team grabs possession down there.

He is (surprisingly) good at separating his man from the puck for a guy his size, but yeah, my #1 concern for a guy his size is lateral quickness. When you are at a size and reach disadvantage, you have to be super quick laterally to stay with your man. I mean you even see guys like Ericsson, who are 6'4"/6'5" get beat as he has lost some quickness as he has gotten older. League is getting faster, so you have to have exceptional skating if you are going to make the league as a defenseman under 5'10".

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Bertuzzi is very intriguing to me. He's one of those guys that step it up in the playoffs an put up elite production despite average regular seasons. I mean the sample size in the AHL isn't huge but both times he went into the playoffs he was ~ppg as opposed to ~.5ppg in the regular season. He'll never be a fighter but he can probably be a pest like Marchand. Here is a recent article on bert that i found on the AHLs website: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/09/red_wings_prospect_tyler_bertu_3.html

Givanni Smith also excites me after hearing how he stole the show at that one tournament a few weeks ago that included Connor McDavid(!)

But most of all I cant wait to watch some Svechnikov. His poor (terrible, actually) WJC performance disheartened me but he's had some great seasons in the Q, and he stood out to me last training camp so i'm eager to see how much further he has come in a year.

As for defense, nobody really excites me. It actually depresses me. Maybe Cholowski will be something, but meh. Russo had a crazy statistical season in GR, and he's not 5'5 130lbs like Hicketts and Saarijarvi, so maybe he could be something.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Is anyone going its a fun time and you see lots of who's who. I got to sit next to Glen Sather and talk about the future of Danny Kristo. I met John Tortorella. When I went out to dinner Holland and the crew sat at the table next to me. I did resist the urge to throw food at him. Got a sweet hoodie.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Does anyone know what's going on with Jerome Verrier since his injury? He looked good in the prospects tournament last year before the injury. Shame the guy can't stay healthy.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Thanks for the info. Guess he gave up on the NHL. feel bad for the guy. He had talent, just couldn't stay healthy.

That collision at training camp was apparently really nasty. At that point he didn't have a pro contract so I can see why he moved on to school.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Is anyone going its a fun time and you see lots of who's who. I got to sit next to Glen Sather and talk about the future of Danny Kristo. I met John Tortorella. When I went out to dinner Holland and the crew sat at the table next to me. I did resist the urge to throw food at him. Got a sweet hoodie.

I'll be in TC the next five days, mainly for my cousin's wedding, but planning to catch a couple tourney games. I've been to the prospect tourney/main camp a couple times in the past. First time I went, in '07, I ended up at the bar drinking with a bunch of Griffins. Great time. Chatted with Red Berenson for a while once. Joked with Ozzie and Drapes in the parking lot another time. Wish I could go every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad