2016 NHL Playoffs Discussion Thread

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It was a blind side, hit to the head and possibly late. Its not defendable at all. Highly doubt it gets looked at because its the finals, but that was not a good hit at all.

Blindside is not a concept within the NHL rules, and the hit definitely wasn't late. The only reason to look at it would be because, as I did say, he misses the front shoulder and hits the head. If he'd hit Rust's left shoulder, it would be a textbook hit... but he didn't. I don't think there will be a suspension simply due to the factor of Rust's movement prior to the hit. He was in the process of fighting the puck as he got his, and if DoPS wanted to give Marleau the benefit of the doubt, it could be argued that Marleau was expecting Rust's shoulder to be where he ended up hitting, rather than his head. Given Marleau's lack of suspension history, I'd be unsurprised if they do give him the benefit of the doubt, whether it's the SCF or not.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I don't think it's worthy of supplemental discipline, but If there are any other remotely questionable incidents with him in this series, I think he should get a game. Give him a stern warning. That feels like the right call to me on this.

I'd love to see him sit a game for selfish reasons, but don't think it's deserved here

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Didn't see the hit, so no comment.

Anyways, sucks that the Sharks lost, but not overly surprising. They probably just had first game jitters. They'll be even better in game 2.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Since when does that matter? The NHL has used it as the reasoning to suspend players before. The rules dont matter to the NHL.

They did in the past because that was the old way the rule was written. In 2011 the rule was re-written such that those words no longer appear in the rule. So there would be official rulings using that word prior to the re-writing, but not after.

I think they may still sometimes use the word "blindside" in some explanation videos, but only insomuch as describing the play, as they are wont to do at the start of the video, not as part of the rationale of their decision.

The only factors which are important these days are:

-Whether the target was a legal target for a hit
-Whether the head was the principal point of contact
-Whether the hit was possible without hitting the head
-Whether there was extension upwards or outwards in order to hit the head
-Whether the target made a significant change in body position prior to being hit

I have yet to see a suspension video that does not reference these points specifically. You can sometimes disagree with how they interpret instances with regards to these key points, but they do follow the framework pretty consistently. I just wish they released videos for contentious non-suspensions as well as suspensions.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
IMO, ANY hits to the head, should be at least looked at especially in the Stanley Cup Final, whether intentional or not.
Also, you have to factor in that Rust went to the back, came back, played 1 more shift, and didn't feel right and left for the game. So, I would at least fine Marleau for the hit, IMO.
He has no history of this kind of shenanigans(unless I am not aware/remember something), so a fine should be.....fine.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
IMO, ANY hits to the head, should be at least looked at especially in the Stanley Cup Final, whether intentional or not.
Also, you have to factor in that Rust went to the back, came back, played 1 more shift, and didn't feel right and left for the game. So, I would at least fine Marleau for the hit, IMO.
He has no history of this kind of shenanigans(unless I am not aware/remember something), so a fine should be.....fine.

I think it's unfair to suggest that the hit wasn't looked at by the DoPS. I think that every hit to the head indeed is looked at.

May 27, 2012
Earth
The lines on Pittsburgh have a dangerous player on each line. Crosby, Malkin and Kessel all on separate lines. Who would of thunk that the center Kessel is playing with is Bonino at this point in the season.

Also, with Bonino and Hagelin going off is a great help too.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Penguins making the Sharks look like the Caps. Sharks might be able to at least make the series interesting but I'd be surprised if the Penguins don't win at this point. But at least Kessel getting the Conn Smythe will be amazing.

Last edited:

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
The lines on Pittsburgh have a dangerous player on each line. Crosby, Malkin and Kessel all on separate lines. Who would of thunk that the center Kessel is playing with is Bonino at this point in the season.

Also, with Bonino and Hagelin going off is a great help too.

Pittsburg's centre depth is ridiculous. Crosby, Bonino, Malkin, Cullen. Best in the league by a far margin

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You're not in trouble until you lose at home, and I think that's going to be very true in this series. San Jose has had the opportunity to win both of these first two games, and their home crowd has really pushed them to some great performances these playoffs. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on a 2-2 series heading back to Pittsburgh.

We'll see, though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Very true AS, Pitt's job is to come away stealing minimum 1 game. If they can do that, the series is fully in their control.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
It hurt to drop that game, but the positive I can take is Pens took it to OT in the Shark Tank, so it proved winning a game there is doable

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Sharks are done. Havent led in this series for even 1 minute over 4 games. No chance the Pens lose 3 in a row.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
About time the Sharks showed up (and get some bounces)

And Sharks gonna Shark :facepalm:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad