GDT: 2016 NHL Entry Draft - NHLN - 7AM

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Loving the Matthews interview on the NHL.com streaming radio (Toronto draft coverage.) So do you remember what teams you went to see in Phoenix?...
I was just a Coyotes fan.
Were there other teams you were a fan of?...
I was excited when Crosby and Ovechkin were drafted... but I was just a Coyotes fan.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Loving the Matthews interview on the NHL.com streaming radio (Toronto draft coverage.) So do you remember what teams you went to see in Phoenix?...
I was just a Coyotes fan.
Were there other teams you were a fan of?...
I was excited when Crosby and Ovechkin were drafted... but I was just a Coyotes fan.

I'm telling you, at some point, Matthews will be a Coyote.

Great comments (especially to a Toronto interviewer). Of course he probably should have said "I always enjoyed it when Toronto came to town, although I was rooting for the Coyotes"

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Congrats Yotes fans I thought you guys had a great draft. Really like Chayka. When he was interviewed on TV my girlfriend said "who picked him?"

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'd like to get debrincat. I'd also like to see us go for quantity on D. They're so hard to project if we just take a crap load one has to hit right?

This definitely happened. Our 6th and 7th rounders are very very obscure, but we'll see. Keith was what a 4th rounder?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Overall, I'm happy with the haul, but I do think we lost out on several opportunities. I believe several people mentioned that the second round was a fairly strong one and we completely traded out of it.

Started off with:
2 firsts (Keller, ??)
2 seconds (??, ??)
Ended up with:
2 firsts (Keller, Chychrun)
DeAngelo​

I suppose Chychurn and DeAngelo are worth the two seconds, but we could have had Gauthier, Jones, Thompson, Hajek, Debrincat, Krys, Hronek, Parsons, Gustavsson, or perhaps a few others that might be better long-term investments.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Can you imagine we traded Dvorak+Domi+7+20 for Matthews?

To Toronto
-Max Domi
-Christian Dvorak
-Clayton Keller
-Jakob Chychrun

To Arizona
-Auston Matthews

That'd have been just awful. Awful.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The more I wait, the more I like the Keller pick. He was on my radar as one of those players where, if we moved back, and all the D we liked were gone, he would be right there as BPA.

And totally fine with the number of D taken and the trade for DeAngelo. To add Chychrun, Deangelo, and Dineen is a great haul. Even if the later picks don't do much, we at least are saying - grab some D to develop, and maybe we get lucky. There are a ton of players who don't fill out until 18, 19, 20, and 21. My favorite story was when I went to tour the US Naval Academy, they brought up a basketball player named David Robinson. When he first joined, he was 6'6", the max height for a recruit, b/c doorways are not tall on a ship or submarine. During his freshman year, he had a 7 inch growth spurt. Just b/c they don't have publicity now doesn't mean that they can't develop even better than expected in the future.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
A- Draft. Not at all surprised we went exclusively D after picking up Keller. Keller was in my Top 10 and is generally the type of player I go for - highly skilled and high motor despite size issues. Felt though that even with his talent he would have been a little redundant in our forward group. Still, can't really complain about the pick.

Very impressed by Chayka managing to snag DeAngelo from Tampa for a 2nd - his talent is definitely worth his boom/bust risk. Blueline has definitely been replenished with Chychrun, DeAngelo, and Dineen providing the top end talent, while the final two picks add more depth.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4