2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What can the Jets do to take home town boy Nolan Patrick in the 2017 draft? He's a bigger version of Toews and if the Jets don't get Matthews this year, then it might be worth making a move for Patrick next year.

Miss the POs, win the lottery. Bob's your uncle. :)

Alternatively trade a ridiculous pile of assets to whoever does win.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Am I the only one that feels Chych is underrated? I think everyone leap frogged him because of World Jrs, where he didn't have a chance to play. I still think this guy is a top 5 talent, mixed reviews on him but this guy will be good. I think you take him as first D, and he goes 4 or 5 depending on team.
Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
Chych
Dubois
Nylander
Tkachuk

That's how I see the top 7 right now.

You are not alone. I have not watched him enough and the Bogo comparison has me recoiling a bit but the raw scoring numbers make me wonder why he fell out of grace??

Chychurn 59 GP 46 points
Sergachev 62 GP 49 points
Juolevi 51 GP and 36 points on a stacked Knights team.

I am starting to get the vibe we will be picking in that 6-7 range and Chychrun is going to fall to us.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You are not alone. I have not watched him enough and the Bogo comparison has me recoiling a bit but the raw scoring numbers make me wonder why he fell out of grace??

Chychurn 59 GP 46 points

I am starting to get the vibe we will be picking in that 6-7 range and Chychrun is going to fall to us.

Could be wrong but I think Juolevi's numbers are deflated by icetime/pp time. I believe if you look at even strength P/60 he stacks up much better relative to the other guys

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Could be wrong but I think Juolevi's numbers are deflated by icetime/pp time. I believe if you look at even strength P/60 he stacks up much better relative to the other guys

Interesting. Is he not getting the PP time because there is two studs ahead of him, because he's not great at it, or because of bad coaching?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ehlers will be a regular 30 goal scorer, I have no doubts about it.

I think Connor will likely be the 30+ goal guy in Winnipeg in the future. Ehlers I see as more Connors set up man with Sheif doing the dirty work.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Chychurn 59 GP 46 points

I saw more than 1 favourable comparison to Ekblad. I like that better than the Bogo one. :) Also some saying he is NHL ready.
Year after next:
Ekblad(aka Chychrun) - Trouba
Morrissey - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Chiarot - Postma
Stuart (#9 D can't wear an A, BTW)
That's a D that can win a cup.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I saw more than 1 favourable comparison to Ekblad. I like that better than the Bogo one. :) Also some saying he is NHL ready.
Year after next:
Morrissey - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Chiarot - Postma

It honestly wasn't that long ago that HFBoards couldn't decide between Ekblad or Chychrun and this was after Ekblad won the Calder. I agree with the other poster, It probably has quite a bit to do with his Jr's snubbing and the 'out of sight out of mind' thought process.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Connor does strike me as more of a finisher than Ehlers

Yeah I see Ehlers as more of a consistent 25g-35a-60pts guy with a few seasons hitting the 70 mark.
Along with Connor who puts up 35g-25a-60pts with Scheif cashing in on both of them around 25g with a higher assist ratio then either of them.
At least that's what I hope they become, anything more is a bonus. Ehlers could become a very high end playmaker and Connor could become a very high end goal scorer hitting the 40 mark a few times but I won't hold my breath on that.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Year after next:
Morrissey - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Chiarot - Postma

The most highly paid 3rd pair in history

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I think moving Myers for some depth at that time would be a smart move.

That would be Toby's last year on his current contract. Myers would still have 1 year left and might be good trade bait. By then maybe a RHD we have drafted is ready. Kostalek? Or someone we draft this year. Or a trade return.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Mark my words, the Jets will select Sean Day 6' 3" LD 229 lbs with Chicago's 1st round selection this spring.

http://thehockeywriters.com/sean-day-steal-or-bust-of-the-2016-nhl-draft/

This season, 2015-16, Day had recorded three goals and 14 points over his first 37 games played. Although his offensive production has slipped slightly, in turn, Day’s defensive play has been much improved, having turned his focus to producing a sound defensive game. As a result, Day’s plus/minus has improved drastically, currently sitting at -9, not the best, but not terrible either.

A mobile two-way defenceman that boasts an elite level skill package. Strong on the forecheck and delivers hard shots and crisp passes. His consistency and enthusiasm exhibited at the game's defining moments does seem to wane, and the pressure felt seems to impact his decision-making slightly. When focusing on simplifying his game and getting all the little things right, he becomes a forceful impact that is hungry to be a difference maker. All-in-all, a talented two-way defenceman that has all of the raw abilities in place to become an elite defenceman, but has yet to put it all together and prove that he can thrive in the driver's seat. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=228106#sthash.lG7cySz7.dpuf

Day was granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada, allowing him to enter the Canadian Hockey League one year early, as a 15 year-old. At the time the fourth player to be awarded the exception, Day joined elite company, with John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid all receiving permission to begin their Major Junior career’s ahead of schedule.

Dave Babych like player.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Mark my words, the Jets will select Sean Day 6' 3" LD 229 lbs with Chicago's 1st round selection this spring.

http://thehockeywriters.com/sean-day-steal-or-bust-of-the-2016-nhl-draft/

This season, 2015-16, Day had recorded three goals and 14 points over his first 37 games played. Although his offensive production has slipped slightly, in turn, Day’s defensive play has been much improved, having turned his focus to producing a sound defensive game. As a result, Day’s plus/minus has improved drastically, currently sitting at -9, not the best, but not terrible either.

A mobile two-way defenceman that boasts an elite level skill package. Strong on the forecheck and delivers hard shots and crisp passes. His consistency and enthusiasm exhibited at the game's defining moments does seem to wane, and the pressure felt seems to impact his decision-making slightly. When focusing on simplifying his game and getting all the little things right, he becomes a forceful impact that is hungry to be a difference maker. All-in-all, a talented two-way defenceman that has all of the raw abilities in place to become an elite defenceman, but has yet to put it all together and prove that he can thrive in the driver's seat. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=228106#sthash.lG7cySz7.dpuf

Day was granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada, allowing him to enter the Canadian Hockey League one year early, as a 15 year-old. At the time the fourth player to be awarded the exception, Day joined elite company, with John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid all receiving permission to begin their Major Junior career’s ahead of schedule.

Dave Babych like player.

I'm not so sure we should spend a 1st rounder on him when there are still some more interesting prospects to likely be on the board including some high scoring but smallish forwards and a number of safer defencemen. He could very well be available in the early 2nd and we could snag him there. I agree he would be an interesting pickup but not in the late 1st.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That would be Toby's last year on his current contract. Myers would still have 1 year left and might be good trade bait. By then maybe a RHD we have drafted is ready. Kostalek? Or someone we draft this year. Or a trade return.

Trading one or both of them would be favourable I think. Enstrom will likely regress a bit over the next few years, he may be a prime trade target.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I'm not so sure we should spend a 1st rounder on him when there are still some more interesting prospects to likely be on the board including some high scoring but smallish forwards and a number of safer defencemen. He could very well be available in the early 2nd and we could snag him there. I agree he would be an interesting pickup but not in the late 1st.

Let's look at it like this. He's a linebacker playing left defence. He's an exceptional skater. His past is very rough for a young kid: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...yer-sean-day-opens-up-about-life-off-the-ice/

Expectations on him are low. He's a talent and those lowered expectations will help him make his way. Finally he'll have the right type of motivation! He will bloom once he gets to stable ground and if he's simply a defensive defensemen we win big. Really big. Late 1st rounders are a real gamble and IMHO he will be a great bet! Believe in the day we draft Day!

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Let's look at it like this. He's a linebacker playing left defence. He's an exceptional skater. His past is very rough for a young kid: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...yer-sean-day-opens-up-about-life-off-the-ice/

Expectations on him are low. He's a talent and those lowered expectations will help him make his way. Finally he'll have the right type of motivation! He will bloom once he gets to stable ground and if he's simply a defensive defensemen we win big. Really big. Late 1st rounders are a real gamble and IMHO he will be a great bet! Believe in the day we draft Day!

But he could very well still be there by the time our 2nd rounder rolls around. I'd prefer to take a chance on one of the small forwards or a big guy like Brown or Stanley if they are there.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg

Safter defencemen yes, but we may already have our quota of high scoring smallish forwards.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Safter defencemen yes, but we may already have our quota of high scoring smallish forwards.

Nic Petan is probably the smallest we have. Can never hurt to have another. Tampa has been stocking up on guys like these and it's paying off. It depends on a lot of factors like whose available and who we have already taken.

Day is the kind of kid that was given exceptional status entirely for his size. He wasn't even the highest scoring young defencemen on his team or league that year. He really hasn't done anything to deserve his rankings and there are still a number of defencemen I would take over him in the first. He is incredibly high risk/high reward. We're not really in a place yet IMO that we can spend a 1st rounder gambling on him. A 2nd I'd be okay with. A first is to much of a gamble at this point considering we really need to stockpile our prospect pool for a contending run in a few years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trading one or both of them would be favourable I think. Enstrom will likely regress a bit over the next few years, he may be a prime trade target.

I wouldn't mind that once the left side is strong enough. If he would waive his NMC I would consider trading him but I see him signing for another couple of years at a salary apprpriate for a veteran 3rd pair D. He may have other ideas of course.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nic Petan is probably the smallest we have. Can never hurt to have another. Tampa has been stocking up on guys like these and it's paying off. It depends on a lot of factors like whose available and who we have already taken.

Day is the kind of kid that was given exceptional status entirely for his size. He wasn't even the highest scoring young defencemen on his team or league that year. He really hasn't done anything to deserve his rankings and there are still a number of defencemen I would take over him in the first. He is incredibly high risk/high reward. We're not really in a place yet IMO that we can spend a 1st rounder gambling on him. A 2nd I'd be okay with. A first is to much of a gamble at this point considering we really need to stockpile our prospect pool for a contending run in a few years.

Our 2nd is liable to be within 5 or 6 picks of the Chi 1st. I don't want to throw it away on a high risk pick either. And we don't have a 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad