Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's pretty good! But if we end up first overall I doubt any electrical theatrics will be necessary. I'm guessing Chevy just tears off his shirt, starts rubbing his nipples in little circular motions, and moans highly x-rated pillow talk to Auston Matthews. Somewhere in the distance from Arizona you'll hear a voice scream, "I need a safe word!!!"

And actually that would be less awkward than that Katz McDavid segment last year. :help:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
For our second overall pick (with an outside chance he's still there at out third), Rubstov sounds so enticing. Until the Russian doping scandal he was ranked 15 to early 20s by various groups, but it is now expected he may drop into the second round.

A fairly big & really good defensive C, with some of the best hockey smarts in this draft. If we should pick a D with our first, I see him as a natural pick with our 22nd overall -- highly unlikely he persists until 36 but being Russian & with the doping thing, who knows. Thoughts?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
For our second overall pick (with an outside chance he's still there at out third), Rubstov sounds so enticing. Until the Russian doping scandal he was ranked 15 to early 20s by various groups, but it is now expected he may drop into the second round.

A fairly big & really good defensive C, with some of the best hockey smarts in this draft. If we should pick a D with our first, I see him as a natural pick with our 22nd overall -- highly unlikely he persists until 36 but being Russian & with the doping thing, who knows. Thoughts?

I really like what I've read about him. After Matthews, I think some have him right up there in that next group of C's. Some tag him as one of the better "two way" forwards.

Originally Mark from HockeyProspect.com thought he would be gone by then, but with the U18's and the "luck" factor, maybe he's still there.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=116491127&postcount=105

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=116505151&postcount=117

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Cool. I'm never one to be high on Russians (too much can go wrong), but I'm really keen on this guy -- he's got some tremendous upside.

Before the doping thing, it was nip & tuck he'd be available to us at 22. Now its a virtual certainty IMO. Should a better prospect be available there (in our scouts perspective), can only hope he really drops all the way to 36.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Really depends where we draft but... any 1 of Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi would be fantastic, they are all legit game changers i think. I'd have a tough choice between Matthews and Laine, I feel Matthews might be a bit over hyped at times, I mean, the kid is a good player but... Laine is playing against men also, Teams need scoring and Laine looks like a guy who could step in next year and put up some numbers. Tough call, and yeah i get that Matthews is a Center but, he'd probably be our 3rd line center to start the year... Feel he's hyped a bit much.

I think he's closer to Dylan Strome then he is to Eichel.

Chychrun worries me, he's fallen pretty hard since the start of the year, not sure I'm a fan of picking a D man in the first round if you aren't for sure that he's the best one of the bunch, He screams BOGO to me and the other guys scream Pietrangelo.. Hope the Jets avoid the D men with their 1st pick of the 1st round, Should be a couple good D available at 22 and 36.

If we stay where we are now... Jost or Brown would be fine with me. I don't see us taking Nylander, I just don't see it.

I'm going to just leave the 3 LHD out of the equation for now, I'm not sure, and who knows if anybody is sure with these guys but I'm not sure which one has a higher ceiling, which one will be the better player in the PROS.. i mean, it should be Chychrun right but who is to say it's not Juolevi or Sergachev. I don't think any of these guys will be as good as Hanifin,Provorov or Werenski even. That's why I hope we don't take a D man early.

Lots of people are saying we need LHD help now, but... thing is, I don't think any of those 3 make the NHL next year.. I just don't see it, i think they go back to Junior... all 3 of them so it's not really helping. Here's my question with the 3 LHD... are any of them that much better than Josh Morrissey?

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'd bet it's more than 1, I wouldn't be surprised if It's Edmonton considering they have all those Centers already,Calgary wouldn't shock me, they have a couple pretty good Centers also, I wouldn't be surprised if a few teams have Laine ahead of Matthews, I'm not sure why anybody would be surprised by this, They both played in leagues with MEN, Laine is absolutely destroying it while Matthews sits and home and does nothing. Buffalo is another... I could probably name several more teams who would probably take Laine first and I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets were one of them either.

I don't care if ones a Center or ones a winger... Why are people more impressed by what Matthews did in probably a weaker league, but are less impressed with what Laine is doing in probably a tougher league... at the same age. playing against men. I don't get it. Why would it be so surprising if Laine went first?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Matthews is going number 1 overall no matter what.

Listen, Scouts tend to love guys from their areas and no matter what anyone things Matthews isn't a euro so all those guys from europe are going to pump their local guys.

All that is happening and TSN is a master at doing this is trying to get some hype around the draft, especially considering that Toronto is going to get a high pick. I am bet that if Toronto is number 2 in the lotto that the Toronto media is going to tell us how good Laine is and how he is pushing for the number 1 spot.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Really depends where we draft but... any 1 of Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi would be fantastic, they are all legit game changers i think. I'd have a tough choice between Matthews and Laine, I feel Matthews might be a bit over hyped at times, I mean, the kid is a good player but... Laine is playing against men also, Teams need scoring and Laine looks like a guy who could step in next year and put up some numbers. Tough call, and yeah i get that Matthews is a Center but, he'd probably be our 3rd line center to start the year... Feel he's hyped a bit much.

I think he's closer to Dylan Strome then he is to Eichel.

Chychrun worries me, he's fallen pretty hard since the start of the year, not sure I'm a fan of picking a D man in the first round if you aren't for sure that he's the best one of the bunch, He screams BOGO to me and the other guys scream Pietrangelo.. Hope the Jets avoid the D men with their 1st pick of the 1st round, Should be a couple good D available at 22 and 36.

If we stay where we are now... Jost or Brown would be fine with me. I don't see us taking Nylander, I just don't see it.

I'm going to just leave the 3 LHD out of the equation for now, I'm not sure, and who knows if anybody is sure with these guys but I'm not sure which one has a higher ceiling, which one will be the better player in the PROS.. i mean, it should be Chychrun right but who is to say it's not Juolevi or Sergachev. I don't think any of these guys will be as good as Hanifin,Provorov or Werenski even. That's why I hope we don't take a D man early.

Lots of people are saying we need LHD help now, but... thing is, I don't think any of those 3 make the NHL next year.. I just don't see it, i think they go back to Junior... all 3 of them so it's not really helping. Here's my question with the 3 LHD... are any of them that much better than Josh Morrissey?

They don't need to make the NHL next year to fill our need. They don't need to be much better than Josh Morrissey either. In fact, compared to Morrissey all they need to be is more assertive as they move up to the next level. They need to be ready in 3 years when Enstrom's contract expires. Any sooner is a bonus. After the top 3 all the forwards go back to their respective leagues too.

There should be a couple of good D at 22 & 36. Not as good but still good. Maybe second pair, maybe third. Small chance at first pair but still good.

The fact that you (or I or any other poster here) have a hard time committing to any of the top 3 D doesn't mean that the Jets scouts have that same problem. Some uncertainty is not a good reason to pass over who might be the better player. Player A might be a 4 but we aren't sure. He might be only a 3 so we will take player B. We are confident in our assessment of him. He will be a 3. :huh:

I still take Matthews. I don't know how close the Swiss A league and the Finnish SM-Liiga are to one another but Matthews' stats were quite a bit better. And he is a C. Of course he would be our 3C to start. What's wrong with that? How long do you think it would take him to move up?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Matthews is going number 1 overall no matter what.

Listen, Scouts tend to love guys from their areas and no matter what anyone things Matthews isn't a euro so all those guys from europe are going to pump their local guys.

All that is happening and TSN is a master at doing this is trying to get some hype around the draft, especially considering that Toronto is going to get a high pick. I am bet that if Toronto is number 2 in the lotto that the Toronto media is going to tell us how good Laine is and how he is pushing for the number 1 spot.

Why would TSN be hyping the draft when they no longer broadcast it?

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
They don't need to make the NHL next year to fill our need. They don't need to be much better than Josh Morrissey either. In fact, compared to Morrissey all they need to be is more assertive as they move up to the next level. They need to be ready in 3 years when Enstrom's contract expires. Any sooner is a bonus. After the top 3 all the forwards go back to their respective leagues too.

There should be a couple of good D at 22 & 36. Not as good but still good. Maybe second pair, maybe third. Small chance at first pair but still good.

The fact that you (or I or any other poster here) have a hard time committing to any of the top 3 D doesn't mean that the Jets scouts have that same problem. Some uncertainty is not a good reason to pass over who might be the better player. Player A might be a 4 but we aren't sure. He might be only a 3 so we will take player B. We are confident in our assessment of him. He will be a 3. :huh:

I still take Matthews. I don't know how close the Swiss A league and the Finnish SM-Liiga are to one another but Matthews' stats were quite a bit better. And he is a C. Of course he would be our 3C to start. What's wrong with that? How long do you think it would take him to move up?

I read an article (cant forget where) but it basically said if we win the lottery and draft Matthews, projected lineup would put him as the 2C with Little playing wing (Little has proven hes a very good 2 way player/could still take those big draws). which i would love, even keeping Little at C and having Matthews play on his wing for year 1 to help the transition would be legit. If Little moved back to the wing I think he would push 30 goals (which he did last time he played RW for Atlanta).

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

I'm pretty enamored of the skill level our current top two centers bring to the table to be honest. I think Matthews is likely to be a hell of a player in a short period of time but in spite of Little being overlooked by the rest of the league he is a legit two-way, first line center. Scheifele while still relatively young has shown tremendous improvement. Of course at some point his upward trend will plateau but I don't think he's there yet.

With the consideration of Matthews playing against "men" but not playing against NHL calibre men just yet, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him play third line center for a couple of years on the Jets, unless we decided to move Little to wing which would be just dandy. Scheifele and Little have both played very effective two way games at the NHL level, Matthews would have to get there. Maybe he'll blow it out of the water right away and that would be an awesome problem to have on our team. I'm not yet convinced this kid is McDavid or Eichel, not just yet. Damn good hockey player, likely first liner, absolutely. Superstar? Dunno yet.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I read an article (cant forget where) but it basically said if we win the lottery and draft Matthews, projected lineup would put him as the 2C with Little playing wing (Little has proven hes a very good 2 way player/could still take those big draws). which i would love, even keeping Little at C and having Matthews play on his wing for year 1 to help the transition would be legit. If Little moved back to the wing I think he would push 30 goals (which he did last time he played RW for Atlanta).

The bolded is not quite correct he played RW for 2 seasons, 31 goals the first one, 13 the next. His first season he split between Atl and AHL Chi. IDK what position he played that year.

However, yes I thought the same. Probably 3C to start and 2C by Xmas, maybe a little later. Little moving to 2RW replacing the traded Stafford.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm pretty enamored of the skill level our current top two centers bring to the table to be honest. I think Matthews is likely to be a hell of a player in a short period of time but in spite of Little being overlooked by the rest of the league he is a legit two-way, first line center. Scheifele while still relatively young has shown tremendous improvement. Of course at some point his upward trend will plateau but I don't think he's there yet.

With the consideration of Matthews playing against "men" but not playing against NHL calibre men just yet, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him play third line center for a couple of years on the Jets, unless we decided to move Little to wing which would be just dandy. Scheifele and Little have both played very effective two way games at the NHL level, Matthews would have to get there. Maybe he'll blow it out of the water right away and that would be an awesome problem to have on our team. I'm not yet convinced this kid is McDavid or Eichel, not just yet. Damn good hockey player, likely first liner, absolutely. Superstar? Dunno yet.

I don't disagree. Ehlers rapid rise has probably raised our expectations too high. The same goes for Connor. Start on the 3rd line. Move up when ready. That might be 20-30 games in or it could take a year or two. They have to earn their ice time like everybody else (is supposed to). We may see Ehlers fall back a bit this year too. I hope not but I won't be surprised.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hyping it for the Toronto fan base

Really I think it is everybody hyping it for everybody. Same thing last year. They tried to make out that it was close between McD and Eichel. It wasn't really. Sell papers, ratings, click bait, whatever.

I'm glad that there is finally a second candidate. This draft, that we have 3 picks in the top 36 of, started out looking pretty weak after Matthews. But gradually more and more candidates have stepped up made the claim that they are pretty good. It isn't going to be like last year or even '13 but it is going to be pretty good still.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Jets SHOULD get 3 guys who will eventually see time in the NHL... 3 picks in the top 36 definitely is nice, since i feel this draft starts to maybe fall off a bit after pick 39 40. Interesting thing about these drafts tho, is there are always some guys who fall and some guys who rise, Scheifele is an example of a Riser, Connor and Barzal are examples of fallers and so is Couts from Philly to an extent, was projected to go top 3 or 4. Every draft has them, you look at the 2014 draft and you look at the players drafted, Larkin went pretty late all things considered and was probably the best player in that draft this past season. Ehlers you could say fell to the JETS also. Some teams are not good drafters, others are.. It's interesting actually. You can take the top 10 projected players every year and probably compare them to the GM's and Scouts lists of the top 10 projected players and I'll bet, outside of maybe the 1st overall pick most years (and even then, you look at yakupov vs Murray as an example) They will all be different.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
chart51.jpg

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Dear Lord up in heaven, please grant us some lucky balls this saturday night.

(I know I asked for this last saturday night as well, but that was for an entirely different reason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad