Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
I think as the points come more scouts will warm up to him. He just had a rough transition to the OHL like a lot of players do after coming over from comparable leagues. He just has too many tools for someone like Craig Button have him 28th or where ever he has him.

I'm not sure what I would say his biggest flaw is. I heard the London broadcast talking about how the coaching staff wants him working harder on the forecheck which I guess I can see. I saw people comparing him to Crouse at the beginning of the year which isn't accurate, but he does share the same size and frame as him and seeing the way Crouse can dominate the boardplay maybe that's what they want from Jones.

Mississauga @ London tonight should be a good game, a lot of draft eligibles to watch for. Jones is on a line with Marner and Piccinich now and they looked great last game even though it was looking like Jones and Pu had some chemistry together before all the WJC players came back.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I read somewhere that he got off to a slow start scoring-wise but then turned on the afterburners. From what I've read recently he's doing just fine.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Tyson Jost is a product of the Penticton Vees of the BCHL. He's got average height but looks to be a bit of a truck (6', 195 lbs as a 17 year old). He's projected to be a Top 6 scorer at the next level. Nathan Bastian is a right shot centerman with good size. Seems more of a playmaker than a pure scorer, ISS has him ranked #23.

I really like Pierre-Luc Dubois who is a high end scoring forward with tremendous size (6' 3" and 200+ lbs). He's tearing up the Q. There are a couple of rankings that have him in the Top 10. I've also thought that Carl Grundstrom would be a good choice at #26 for us. He's another stocky 6 footer who's been playing with men in Sweden for a couple of years.

I also like Julien Gauthier, Max Jones, Kieffer Bellows, and Mike McLeod. Gauthier and McLeod may not be there when we make our first pick (currently something like 11 or 12). A couple of other names to keep in mind are Taylor Raddysh and Brett Howden, both likely would be available at 26 but would be considered a bit of a reach. They may be there when our 2nd round pick rolls around but Raddysh, in particular, is ranked around 30 in a couple of places.

I've seen some video clips of Max Jones and he's the real deal as far as being a scorer. But If we could come away with Kieffer Bellows, I think we'd be very happy. His father, Brian Bellows, was the #2 pick in the 1982 draft. If his kid has been passed any of daddy's high end scoring ability, he'll be a solid pro. Right now Bellows is ranked right near the middle of the 1st round. Kid has mad skills and speed to go with it.

So you like basically every forward in the 1st round :sarcasm:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2016-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-jan-2016/

Laine ahead of Matthews in McKeen's hockey's January's draft ranking.
Was this surprise no it was matter of time. And why Laine is only Finn who could drop Matthews 2nd overall.
If / when some team who has already franchise center drafts Laine instead of Matthews and those teams are Oilers and Sabres.

Matthews is still clear favorite to go 1st overall.
But is that consensus after all breakage.

If we thought Carolina's chances to get someone of these 3 guys ( Laine Matthews Puljujärvi) are class zero without TOP3 pick.
As a Finn i do hope that Laine will keep his number 1 position and Puljujärvi cementing his 3rd overall position.

But how likely it is.
Rankings will change often before june's draft weekend.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Easily. Both were ranked anywhere from #2 to #5 depending on what service you were looking at.

Still, that said, can't see anyone but Matthews going #1.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Sabres fan here. Assuming Buffalo has a pick in the 3-5 range does anyone here think that Ron Francis would move Hanifin for that pick? That would give you three 1st round and two top 10 picks this year. At the same time that gives Buffalo a much needed LHD to play with Risto.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Sabres fan here. Assuming Buffalo has a pick in the 3-5 range does anyone here think that Ron Francis would move Hanifin for that pick? That would give you three 1st round and two top 10 picks this year. At the same time that gives Buffalo a much needed LHD to play with Risto.

Not a chance. Hanifin is what a team prays for with a #3-5 pick. Canes don't need a do-over on that one.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

I would think there's a better chance of us packaging some combination of s 1st and a 2nd to move up in Round 1. Or using some combination of the 3rds and the 4th to move back into Round 2. Personally I'd try to get the best forward available with our 2nd rounder. Then come 3rd round I'd try to find a diamond in the rough blueliner and then BPA.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I'm not saying your wrong, just trying to gauge what the consensus is. Thanks.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'm not saying your wrong, just trying to gauge what the consensus is. Thanks.

There's a better chance of winged creatures flying out of Rick Jeanneret's nether-regions while he waxes poetic about mama's hidden cookies than GMRF dealing Hanifin for anything other than ridiculous overpayment.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Hanifin is the 2nd most valuable item in the Carolina Hurricanes Franchise right now, second only to Faulk. And they are quite close. The only thing I think that would make Carolina consider trading Hanifin for to Buffalo is Eichel or a stupid combination of pieces like Reinhart + top 5 pick, and we all know that isn't going to happen.

Sebastian Svechnikov

May 21, 2015
I think we end up outside the top-5 and take the best forward available.

My guess is that will be McLeod.
I agree that management should be thinking best forward available but I'm not a big McLeod fan personally. I'm not saying he would be a bad pick, just that there's multiple prospects likely to be available where the Canes are picking (anywhere from #7-#12 probably) that are better talents than him IMO. If that is indeed the pick range then I'm hoping for Clayton Keller personally. Keller is on the small side but he's an exceptionally gifted offensive player. My second choice would be Pierre-Luc Dubois, a big skilled winger.

Last edited:

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I agree that management should be thinking best forward available but I'm not a big McLeod fan personally. I'm not saying he would be a bad pick, just that there's multiple prospects likely to be available where the Canes are picking (anywhere from #7-#12 probably) that are better talents than him IMO. If that is indeed the pick range then I'm hoping for Clayton Keller personally. Keller is on the small side but he's an exceptionally gifted offensive player. My second choice would be Pierre-Luc Dubois, a big skilled winger.

I like Dubois, but I'm really hoping Nylander or Julien Gauthier is available at our pick. As much as the Canes need "wingers", to me we really need RW.

Right now on the left wing we have: Sebastian Aho, Brock McGinn, Phil Di Giuseppe(left shot playing RW at the moment), as well as Lucas Wallmark and Warren Foegele (both listed as C but I could see transitioning to wing if they make pro, both left handed).

And on RW we have... Tolchinsky? and currently Lindholm, though I see him transitioning back to C as he matures, Bill Peters also alluded to that.

Gauthier to me seems perfect, big body who can finish, with 32 goals in 33 games this year. Like Crouse is a big winger who made team Canada in his draft year. But unlike Crouse who I really didn't want, Gauthier seems to have a lot more talent. He could be great as a big finisher paired with smart playmaker types like Aho, Lindholm.

Looking at future of something like:

Aho-Lindholm-Gauthier
Skinner-Rask-Di Giuseppe
Foegele-JStaal-Nestrasil
McGinn-Roy-xxx
Wallmark

Depending on how guys progress or who else we get in the meantime.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Doesn't change your point, but Tolchinsky is a left shot and as listed as LW on the Canes site.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Ah! I didn't look at his listing, and I haven't seen him in Charlotte so I have no idea how he's being used. In juniors I thought that he was a left shot that primarily played off wing, but that may not be the case, my mistake.

Sebastian Svechnikov

May 21, 2015
I like Dubois, but I'm really hoping Nylander or Julien Gauthier is available at our pick. As much as the Canes need "wingers", to me we really need RW.

Looking at future of something like:

Aho-Lindholm-Gauthier
Skinner-Rask-Di Giuseppe
Foegele-JStaal-Nestrasil
McGinn-Roy-xxx
Wallmark
If Nylander is available he would be my preferred choice, even ahead of Keller (and I'm a huge Keller fan) but I just don't see him being available at that point in the draft (#8-#12).

Pretty good group there. Not as sold on Foegele as you are but I can see him eventually topping out as a solid 3rd liner. I like Di Guiseppe but not yet sold on him being a legitimate top 6 forward. I think Phil is probably more of a 3rd line guy but will be happy if he proves me wrong. Hopefully the Kings 1st rounder turns into a legitimate 2nd or 3rd line player for us.

Last edited:

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
If Nylander is available he would be my preferred choice, even ahead of Keller (and I'm a huge Keller fan) but I just don't see him being available at that point in the draft (#7-#12).

Pretty good group there. Not as sold on Foegele as you are but I do like Wallmark a bit more. Wallmark's more of a playmaker than a scorer but I can see him eventually topping out as a solid 3rd line wing. I like Di Guiseppe but not yet sold on him being a true top 6 forward, I think he's probably more of a 3rd line guy on a good playoff team, but will be happy if he proves me wrong. Hopefully the Kings 1st rounder turns into a legitimate 2nd or 3rd line player for us.

Maybe something like:

Aho- Lindholm/Keller -Gauthier/Lindholm
Skinner- Rask -Kunin
Wallmark- J Staal -Di Guiseppe
McGinn- Roy -Nestrasil
Tolchinsky

Agree on Nylander, and while its too early too tell for sure, I was betting/hoping that between Cam going down, trading off a few guys at the deadline, etc that we'll be more in the 6-8 range. But even that could get thrown off by the 3 spot lottery.

Your scenario is the ideal one for sure, I might be overslotting guys a bit, I just tried to fit as much as I could in with what we have so far. Di Giuseppe seemed to have a lot of chemistry on that line and I hope it grows, but they could definitely stall and then I agree he's more suited to a 3rd line role.

As far as Wallmark and Foegele, I haven't seen enough to really be sold on either. I think they both have middle/bottom 6 potential, whether or not either of them gets there. I just threw Foegele in because I thought his play style might fit a little better on what Bill Peters would do with a JStaal line :) although I'm very impressed with what Wallmark is doing this year in the SHL.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
If Nylander is available he would be my preferred choice, even ahead of Keller (and I'm a huge Keller fan) but I just don't see him being available at that point in the draft (#7-#12).

Pretty good group there. Not as sold on Foegele as you are but I do like Wallmark a bit more. Wallmark's more of a playmaker than a scorer but I can see him eventually topping out as a solid 3rd line wing. I like Di Guiseppe but not yet sold on him being a true top 6 forward, I think he's probably more of a 3rd line guy on a good playoff team, but will be happy if he proves me wrong. Hopefully the Kings 1st rounder turns into a legitimate 2nd or 3rd line player for us.

Maybe something like:

Aho- Lindholm/Keller -Gauthier/Lindholm
Skinner- Rask -Kunin
Wallmark- J Staal -Di Guiseppe
McGinn- Roy -Nestrasil
Tolchinsky

If E Staal is not re-signed, I don't count on J Staal staying here for the long haul. :(

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Interesting name to keep an eye on, maybe for our 2nd rounder or, if he's still there, one of our 3rd rounders - Tage Thompson.

Pretty big kid playing for the University of Connecticut.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
If whoever has the first overall pick takes Laine over Matthews, they're uh, really going to regret that decision pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad