Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I didn't found 2016 draft thread here so i made this.
What Carolina has looking for this years NHL draft.

Are they looking for franchise center ( Matthews) 1st pair defenceman ( Juolevi or Chychrun) or 1st line winger ( Laine, Puljujärvi or Tkachuk).
When we look Hurricanes draft history they'll have chance to get either of big Finns ( Laine or Puljujärvi) or Matthew Tkachuk or Olli Juolevi / Jacob Chychrun.

Laine Aho Puljujärvi was Finland's top line in world juniors and they were there unstoppable ( only Sweden could shut them down).
Carolina has already Sebastian Aho their prospect pool so it'll be very tempting to get Puljujärvi or Laine into Hurricanes but how likely is it.

Laine and Puljujärvi are TOP3 prospects and without TOP3 pick it'll be very difficult to get either of these Finnish guys.
If you could be Carolina's GM which one you would take for Hurricanes 1st pick if / when Matthews isn't available.

Here's my prediction 2016 NHL draft TOP6

1 Matthews
2 Laine
3 Puljujärvi
4 Tkachuk
5 Juolevi ( Based on world juniors Juolevi played there Chychrun got cut out Canada's U20 WJC roster)
6 Chychrun.

What's yours

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
They're looking for someone who can be all of those things and more.

babchuk222.jpg

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I didn't found 2016 draft thread here so i made this.
What Carolina has looking for this years NHL draft.

Are they looking for franchise center ( Matthews) 1st pair defenceman ( Juolevi or Chychrun) or 1st line winger ( Laine, Puljujärvi or Tkachuk).
When we look Hurricanes draft history they'll have chance to get either of big Finns ( Laine or Puljujärvi) or Matthew Tkachuk or Olli Juolevi / Jacob Chychrun.

Laine Aho Puljujärvi was Finland's top line in world juniors and they were there unstoppable ( only Sweden could shut them down).
Carolina has already Sebastian Aho their prospect pool so it'll be very tempting to get Puljujärvi or Laine into Hurricanes but how likely is it.

Laine and Puljujärvi are TOP3 prospects and without TOP3 pick it'll be very difficult to get either of these Finnish guys.
If you could be Carolina's GM which one you would take for Hurricanes 1st pick if / when Matthews isn't available.

Here's my prediction 2016 NHL draft TOP6

1 Matthews
2 Laine
3 Puljujärvi
4 Tkachuk
5 Juolevi ( Based on world juniors Juolevi played there Chychrun got cut out Canada's U20 WJC roster)
6 Chychrun.

What's yours

I think they would like one of the four big forwards, but will (at least I hope they will) take BPA. Also, interesting to note that there might not be a Canadian drafted in the top 5, wonder when the last time that happened was? (Yes, I know Chychrun is Canadian, but he was born in Florida)

#nevr4get

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I think we end up outside the top-5 and take the best forward available.

My guess is that will be McLeod. I'm hoping against both Nylander and Tkachuk as I don't think either is as good as their draft ranking from what I've seen of them.

I don't think we have a shot at either Finn or Matthews unless we win the lottery. We don't need another defenseman.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
While Juolevi had a great tournament, I kinda find it hard to agree with your logic.

Chychrun has been underwhelming this year considering how high the expectations were entering this season. Dunno if he's fallen behind Juolevi as of yet, tho.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I've been waiting for DaveG's mega draft thread. I assume we'll still get that Dave? and either lock this one or merge it in?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'll merge it in. I'm still going over some stuff to figure out where I have the rankings since I had a ridiculously busy work weekend.

Last edited:

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Interesting player I watched play this week is Will Bitten will probably be there in the LA pick range. Plays for a terrible Flint team and is still putting up good numbers and was the best player on the ice that game against the Knights.

Some names that are dropping that might be a Nicolas Roy type pick:
Dmitri Sokolov - player with all the tools, went 3rd overall in the CHL import draft this year to Sudbury, one of the worst teams in the league. Poster boy for the Russians ruined by the CHL thread going on in the prospect board
Sean Day - obviously not living up to his exceptional status
Chad Krys - projected as one of the top Dmen, now is hovering around the 2nd round
Luke Kirwin - no clue where he's projected now probably pretty late

I think Kirwin is a really interesting one. Was projected in the top half of the first round to start the year but has put up awful numbers for Windsor and was just traded last week to Flint, so it will be interesting if a change in role or icetime will help him in the second half. I just remember watching him in a game at the U17s a year or two ago where he looked really good.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
NHL.com writers mocks, can't say I know much about either player they chose for the Canes at 10

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=797221

Mike G. Morreale
#10 - Tyson Jost, C, Penticton (BCHL)
#26 - Nathan Bastian, RW, Mississauga (OHL)

Adam Kimelman
#10 - Pierre-Luc Dubois, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
#26 - Carl Grundstrom, RW, Modo (SWE)

Tyson Jost is a cousin of mine that I've been watching since he was about 10, so I'd be ecstatic if the Canes got him as then I'd have an excuse to start flying down for games :handclap: although I don't know if he'd be the best pick there if a big winger like Gauthier or Dubious is there. Best case scenario would be for him to slip to the LA pick for me.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Yea, we're finally playing well enough to start moving down that list and looking at better prospects...:laugh: IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME! Hope we keep going down to Cup level!!! :yo:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
2016 Draft Thread

So, I postponed it until after the juniors this year. Not sure why, but I did.

Anyway, this is looking to be a very underrated class right now. With the showings of some of the eligible players at this past WJC, there's been a bit of movement in my personal rankings. But here's a crack at it, and some of what's been put out there so far:

ISS December Rankings: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...-spot-change-elsewhere-iss-december-rankings/

top 10:
1 - C Auston Matthews
2 - LW Matthew Tkachuck
3 - D Jakob Chychrun
4 - RW Jesse Puljujarvi
5 - C Michael McLeod
6 - LW Max Jones
7 - C Alex Nylander
8 - C Logan Brown
9 - RW Patrik Laine
10 - D Mikhail Sergachyov

Central Scouting Preliminary Ratings:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=789295

Bob McKenzie's Preliminary Rankings:
http://www.tsn.ca/elite-prospect-matthews-tops-mckenzie-s-ranking-1.364099

Future Considerations January Rankings:
http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-releases-january-ranking-for-2016-nhl-draft/

And now my personal rankings:
1 - C Auston Matthews - ZSC, NLA - 6'2, 200
A lot like last year, this is more a coronation of the top prospect then an actual contest regardless of how good all behind him are. I honestly think he's as talented or more then Jack Eichel from last year which is a pretty bold statement. He's putting up great numbers in the Swiss league this year, though not running away with it by any means.

2 - D Jakob Chychrun - Sarnia, OHL - 6'2, 215
I still have him as the #2 right now but it's very debatable after the showings by the two below him at the WJCs this year. His cut from Team Canada at this past WJC shouldn't be seen as a slight on the kid. He doesn't put up eye popping numbers but he has an excellent all-around game. Much like when I saw Hanifin as my #3 all year last year I still see Chychrun as my #2, but he may go a few picks later since the teams picking earlier may prefer some of the available forwards.

3 - RW Jesse Puljujarvi - Karpat, Liiga - 6'4, 200
Everyone that watched the juniors knows what this kid can do. A great combination of size, skating, and overall offensive prowess has him knocking on being the #2 pick in this draft. And while I don't personally have him there I do think he's more likely to go in the 2 hole then the guy I have in front of him.

4 - RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga - 6'4, 205
Another Finnish giant that really stood out at the juniors with my #3 pick and Aho forming what was one of the most dominant lines I've ever seen at that tournament. Possibly THE most dominant one.

5 - LW Matthew Tkachuk - London, OHL - 6'1, 195
While his performance at the juniors was a bit disappointing don't let that dissuade you on his talent level. There's a reason he's been a top 5 prospect all year. He has a better natural offensive talent level then his dad, who in his own right was an exceptional NHLer.

6 - D Olli Juolevi - London, OHL - 6'2, 180
More of an offensive sparkplug then Chychrun in terms of dmen that are available this year, and probably a bit less steady in his own end. But overall I have him as solidly the #2 dman in the draft after his showing in Helsinki.

7 - D Mikhail Sergachyov - Windsor, OHL - 6'2, 189
Didn't get the nod for the Russian team at this years Juniors, but Sergachyov is another very solid, steady dman prospect. Again, probably a step down from Juolevi in the offensive department.

8 - W Alex Nylander - Mississauga, OHL - 6'0, 184
Much like his brother William he's an exceptional offensive talent. Plays very similar to his brother. If people don't get hung up about his size, and 6'0 isn't bad at all, then he's an exceptional offensive talent to take a chance on.

9 - C Michael McLeod - Mississauga, OHL - 6'2, 189
I like everything I've seen out of his game so far. Not afraid to get physical, solid defensive play, very good offensive game. Prettymuch the ideal type of player to look at as a future top 6 centerman IMHO.

10 - RW Julien Gauthier - Val-d'Or, QMJHL - 6'4, 193
Didn't show a ton at the juniors with Canada this year, but this guy is an absolute bull. Plays a power winger game very effectively but tends not to take a lot of penalties in the process which is honestly something I value pretty highly. Just a matter of how well he'll translate to the next level.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I agree with how high you are on Juolevi and Sergachyev. I think the Canes will ultimately end up in that 7-10 range where is will be really difficult to pass one of them up despite the plethora of D in the system. I like agree with your rankings, I'd likely take both over that next tier of forwards.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I really like Pierre-Luc Dubois. A teammate of Clark Bishop in Cape Breton. He already has great size at 6'3" 200lbs while being more of a goal scorer. Drives the net well. Can play all three forward positions. Seems to be projected in the 9-12 range.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I really like Pierre-Luc Dubois. A teammate of Clark Bishop in Cape Breton. He already has great size at 6'3" 200lbs while being more of a goal scorer. Drives the net well. Can play all three forward positions. Seems to be projected in the 9-12 range.

I have him at #11 right now, he just missed the cut. Then there's a couple from the USNTDP, including Bellows, I have right behind him. Keller's a sick offensive talent but he's also just 5'10.

edit: really weak year at the top end from the Dub from what I've noticed.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I agree with how high you are on Juolevi and Sergachyev. I think the Canes will ultimately end up in that 7-10 range where is will be really difficult to pass one of them up despite the plethora of D in the system. I like agree with your rankings, I'd likely take both over that next tier of forwards.

Isn't that the point where we should pretty much auction the pick to the large corral of teams that need a top-2-projecting defenseman?

We absolutely do not need another D-man in the mix...and I'd rather auction the pick than take another Dman or reach for BFA. Ideally, we can move down 3-4 spots and pick-up another 2nd...or since we're playing better (thus it's reasonable to assume we're closer to competitive and may not want the longer development curve of a newly-drafted player), it might be worthwhile to trade it for a more-developed F spec outright.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
NHL.com writers mocks, can't say I know much about either player they chose for the Canes at 10

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=797221

Mike G. Morreale
#10 - Tyson Jost, C, Penticton (BCHL)
#26 - Nathan Bastian, RW, Mississauga (OHL)

Adam Kimelman
#10 - Pierre-Luc Dubois, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
#26 - Carl Grundstrom, RW, Modo (SWE)

Tyson Jost is a product of the Penticton Vees of the BCHL. He's got average height but looks to be a bit of a truck (6', 195 lbs as a 17 year old). He's projected to be a Top 6 scorer at the next level. Nathan Bastian is a right shot centerman with good size. Seems more of a playmaker than a pure scorer, ISS has him ranked #23.

I really like Pierre-Luc Dubois who is a high end scoring forward with tremendous size (6' 3" and 200+ lbs). He's tearing up the Q. There are a couple of rankings that have him in the Top 10. I've also thought that Carl Grundstrom would be a good choice at #26 for us. He's another stocky 6 footer who's been playing with men in Sweden for a couple of years.

I also like Julien Gauthier, Max Jones, Kieffer Bellows, and Mike McLeod. Gauthier and McLeod may not be there when we make our first pick (currently something like 11 or 12). A couple of other names to keep in mind are Taylor Raddysh and Brett Howden, both likely would be available at 26 but would be considered a bit of a reach. They may be there when our 2nd round pick rolls around but Raddysh, in particular, is ranked around 30 in a couple of places.

I've seen some video clips of Max Jones and he's the real deal as far as being a scorer. But If we could come away with Kieffer Bellows, I think we'd be very happy. His father, Brian Bellows, was the #2 pick in the 1982 draft. If his kid has been passed any of daddy's high end scoring ability, he'll be a solid pro. Right now Bellows is ranked right near the middle of the 1st round. Kid has mad skills and speed to go with it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Jones has been getting a lot of mixed reviews and I'm not sure what the story is with that. Maybe one of our OHL region guys could tell us more since I haven't been disappointed by what I've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad