2016 NHL Draft: Winners and Losers?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Losers: Dallas, Washington, San Jose, Pittsburgh, Minnesota

How is Minnesota a loser? They didn't have a lot of draft picks, but Kunin fits an organizational need. And Sokolov was a steal in the 7th round. They got two big needs for the organization. I wouldn't say they won, but they didn't lose.

Noah88

Apr 30, 2016
I liked the picks from LA and Tampa Bay. Once again.
Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Philadelphia for example were also Winners, imo.

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
Oilers are one winner, if for no other reason than just dumb luck.

They were blessed to have Puljujarvi fall to them. But beyond that, Tyler Benson too, who may have been a top 20 pick in this year's draft if he wasn't injured for more than half of his draft year.

Markus Niemelainen looks promising too.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
I don't. Columbus has made a lot of bad trades.

So unless the NHL is fixed and Columbus has decided to help the Leafs and no one else (could be possible with the recent trade history). Tell me how all the other teams couldn't come up with an offer essentially better then a 5th rd pick for a former 1st rd pick. It doesn't make sense if he's that good no one would give up a 3rd or even a 4th? Harrington is low level prospect something is not adding up here. Mind you the same could be said of the Clarkson and Horton trade but heh the Leafs stole Rychel (let that be the narrative). Lou scammed Columbus into thinking Harrington was worth a first and that offer was better then the other teams amazing offers.

JIsles

Jun 7, 2011
Islanders are feeling like winners with Bellows falling to them at 19 after Barzal fell to them at 16 last year.

Flames had a hell of a weekend!

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
So unless the NHL is fixed and Columbus has decided to help the Leafs and no one else (could be possible with the recent trade history). Tell me how all the other teams couldn't come up with an offer essentially better then a 5th rd pick for a former 1st rd pick. It doesn't make sense if he's that good no one would give up a 3rd or even a 4th? Harrington is low level prospect something is not adding up here. Mind you the same could be said of the Clarkson and Horton trade but heh the Leafs stole Rychel (let that be the narrative). Lou scammed Columbus into thinking Harrington was worth a first and that offer was better then the other teams amazing offers.

You should write children's books. You have a real talent.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Jets

Losers: Teams that tried to squeeze everything they could out of the Red Wings when they had the cap space to accept Datsyuk's contract. They should have low balled all the other teams and offered to do it for a 5th round pick. When something is free you take it and don't get greedy.

I was very disappointed that the Jets were not in on this. That 16 pick could have gotten them a LD who will be ready for the NHL much before the guy they got at 18.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sabres I feel had a very good draft if not only landing a NHL D man, but moving up to #33 to get Asplund who I thought would have been gone by then. Getting a finisher like Alex Nylander at #8 was nice also and good value.

Calgary got one of my favourite prospects Parsons at #54. Win to me. They also got Tkachuk who fits in like a glove on that team and Fox who I think is a real value pick. Calgary did very well this draft up top.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

Might be Jaarmo is another Pierre Gauthier. Doesn't even tell more than 2 teams when a guy is available :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad