2016 NHL Draft: Winners and Losers?

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
As a Canuck fan it's one of those things if Juolevi becomes a stud top 2 in a few years then we definitely won and JB deserves a bit of cred, if he duds out, then we're definite losers when there were a lot of good picks on the board, we also kind of lost by default considering how the first few picks went down.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I'll only comment on the Oilers but I love their draft.

Jesse Puljujarvi
Tyler Benson
Markus Niemelainen
Matt Cairns
Filip Berglund
Aapeli Rasanen

That's not their entire haul but the above players are all prospects who I really liked heading into the draft.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Edmonton won on Day 1, but as usual lost Day 2. The team needed more right-handed defensemen and skilled wingers so they bring in two 6'6+ left handed D with limited skillsets and two wingers with a combined 46 points between them- all while passing on two-time 50 goal scorer Alex DeBrincat.

Oh, and let's not forget the goalie with 27 GP and a 4.59 GAA.

It will be drafts like this that keep the Oilers from contending, and not the lack of top four NHL defencemen (but that will too).

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Detroit drafted a winger named Elfstrom in the 7th round.
And Buffalo got a guy named Cliff Pu

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Edmonton won on Day 1, but as usual lost Day 2. The team needed more right-handed defensemen and skilled wingers so they bring in two 6'6+ left handed D with limited skillsets and two wingers with a combined 46 points between them- all while passing on two-time 50 goal scorer Alex DeBrincat.

It will be drafts like this that keep the Oilers from contending, and not the lack of top four NHL defencemen (but that will too).

lol no it won't.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why would Edmonton pick up even more defensemen?

If you need a D now, drafting ones that might be able to play in 3-5 years isn't the way to go.

Oilers had an excellent draft.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto

Edmonton cleaned up. As the poster above noted, many of their picks are quite promising.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Toronto confused me.

Loved the Greenway and Middleton picks though. (And obviously Matthews) Grundstrom was good too.
So many overagers though... and a few off the board. Don't really like Bobylyov, and Woll was near the bottom of my goalie list, personally.

Edmonton did well.
And I like Chicago's draft too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad