2016 NHL Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
People talk about trading top five picks every year & yet come draft day it never happens anymore. After seeing all the rumored prices over the years it's not surprising.

Seeing how Luke Schenn turned out will give you second thoughts too.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Seeing how Luke Schenn turned out will give you second thoughts too.

Yeah I don't think either team wants to end up on the losing side of the deal with that type of magnitude. Each team is looking to minimize the risk in the deal to the point where there's really no middle ground in most cases.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Because that is all that is available to them. The Flyers realized that they can only get top defensemen thru the draft. That's why they have invested 3 straight 1st round picks. Edmonton has no top d-prospects left in their system. Morin and Sanheim are near ready and Chychrun and juolevi look close too.

That being said they are Edmonton and will just use the pick on a forward since it is the safest play. Chiarelli though isn't afraid to make deals. Eventually the franchise has to try and win.....Right?

Also if rookie defensemen can't help the oilers, how are they going to help the Flyers?

I will now defend the Oilers...yuck.

Taking McDavid was a no brainer. They used their 2nd 1st rounder to go after Rienhart.
Draisaitl is looking great...next D taken was Fleury
Took Nurse with their 1st.
Took Nail over Murray. On draft day, most had Nail #1.
Took RNH. Went for a #1 C. Used their 2nd 1st on Klefbom who has looked great this year when healthy.
Took Hall over Seguin.

So only 1 time in the past 6 years was it ever a debate to take a dman over a forward where they were picking. Only the Nail pick.

They also tried some patchwork in an attempt to make their D better. All of Sekera, Nikitin, Ference and Fayne were brought in.

So on draft day, they really didn't pass on any D that were obviously the better player to add a forward. They just happen to pick really high where most of the forwards usually are.

And as for this draft, the top dmen are LHD. They have Klefbom, Nurse and Reinhart as lefties for their future. They need a RHD.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Watching Reinhart skate hurts. He has some talent but man his skating really hinders him.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I do understand why people have reservations over Jones... but he does have a pretty special combo of tools, and him not being PPG can in part be attributed to the fact that he has not been on PP1 much. He will never be 'the' offensive catalyst on his line, but could be awesome with a good playmaker centring him.

Jost... because he plays in the BCHL it is hard to get a true read on him in comparison to his draft peers. But I get a sneaky feeling that he may well be a steal that people look back and put in top 10's in re-drafts.

He is a great goalscorer with a very good shot. (wrist, slap, backhand, one-timer all good.)
He is also a very good playmaker with great vision and great hockey sense.
Works hard, willing to go to tough areas, has obvious 'drive'.
Goes to the net hard.
Backchecks hard.
He is really dynamic, mobile and agile. Pretty good speed too.
Really, really nice hands.
Can play all three forward positions.
Makes players around him better.
Good in shoot-outs.

He was really good at the Hlinka for Canada as well. And made the World Junior A's look like child's play. (better than Rubtsov with arguably inferior linemates) His 2+ PPG in the BCHL is also excellent for his age.

Hakstol was also recruiting him for UND before he left to join the Flyers. And Jost ended up committing to UND.

His skill-set is just so good all-around... it is ofc hard to say exactly where he is at due to a lack of games against other high end prospects... but if he can adapt to a higher level he will be a serious, serious hockey player.

When I think more about him and his skill-set I think I put him a few spots too low on that list!

The way you describe him doesn't sound like the type of player you'd generally get at #17, that's for sure.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The way you describe him doesn't sound like the type of player you'd generally get at #17, that's for sure.

Yeh... it is just the BCHL factor really.

But I have a hard time imagining he would not be over PPG in the WHL. And we saw at the Hlinka and WJC-A that against a higher quality of competition he stood out.

If I was re-making this list today I would probably have him at ~#14-15 the more I think about it.

We will all know soon enough how good he is after the draft though... going straight to North Dakota.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
As of right now, I'm still on the Dubois train. He's around where we might end up and the guy is something we really need at LW, someone with size (and knows how to use it), speed, and of course a goal scorer. He doesn't seem to be a liability defensively either.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I will now defend the Oilers...yuck.

So on draft day, they really didn't pass on any D that were obviously the better player to add a forward. They just happen to pick really high where most of the forwards usually are.

And as for this draft, the top dmen are LHD. They have Klefbom, Nurse and Reinhart as lefties for their future. They need a RHD.

You are correct they made the obvious selection but that is why one year, especially 2012 with Yakupov, they should of traded down. If they traded down to the middle of the top ten, they could of had any of Reilly, Lindblom or Trouba plus what ever other assets. Hindsight is always 20/20 but it is not radical thinking that after two years with first overall on forwards, trading down for a defenseman is a good idea. They probably explored it but wanted such a ransom that they couldn't possibly lose the deal in the court of public opinion. So they took the safe play instead of trying to build a winner and missing, which is pretty much what the entire league does. GMs take the safe pick and wait out their time until they are fired.

It is impossible to defend an organization that hasn't seen the playoffs in 10 seasons and is in the bottom 5 most years because they took the safe play.

As far as LHD versus RHD, Flyers didn't need LHDs last year's draft either but took Provorov anyway. Chychrun and juolevi look like they could be better than what they have including Nurse and Klefbom.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
As of right now, I'm still on the Dubois train. He's around where we might end up and the guy is something we really need at LW, someone with size (and knows how to use it), speed, and of course a goal scorer. He doesn't seem to be a liability defensively either.

Dubois for me has now put himself in the Tkachuk and Nylander 'tier' of forwards in this draft... I kind of feel now that he is closer to them than Gauthier anyway. I really think Dubois is gone by ~#9... especially as he has been playing at centre this season and excelling.

I think the way I see the forward 'tiers' now are roughly:

Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi

Tkachuk
Nylander
Dubois

Gauthier
Rubtsov
Keller
Bellows
McLeod
Jost
Jones

Benson

Kunin
Asplund

the rest

Everyone up to Benson has obvious 1st line potential, but different levels and chances of getting there.

Then Kunin & Asplund I think are the start of the forwards who will likely be very good 2nd liners if they 'hit'.

The Gauthier to Jones tier is really hard to separate for me... I could spend hours arguing about it in my head, so just put them all together! There are guys I like more ofc and some have slightly better upside, some higher ceilings etc, but they are all in the same kind of ballpark I think.

PensBrony 6 9*

So I saw this over the weekend. I honestly don't know how he pulls it around the goalie, possibly of his own foot? Dirty regardless.

He just toe drags it and the goalie misses the pokecheck. It just looks weird because he lifts his stick. Pretty move

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He just toe drags it and the goalie misses the pokecheck. It just looks weird because he lifts his stick. Pretty move

If you watch the last replay, he flips it with his stick - (this is hard to explain) - he presses down on the edge of the puck and gets under it with his stick. I can't tell if he carries it on his stick or just flips it to the left, but he gets it over there in the air and then pops it upstairs. It's like that Michigan overtime winner from several years ago (sort of). Amazing play.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
My buddy and fellow flyers fan lives in penticton. He was at the game Saturday night. It was a wild one, pen Tipton 8 chiliwack 1, had a few brawls. When he gets back from Ottawa I will get a scouting report.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
....and while I like Bellows (he may be the 2nd best 'natural' goal-scorer in the draft after Laine... he just knows how to get in position for shots and has a beauty of a shot to go with good skating, goes to the net and works hard around it)...
Bellows would be a good choice if the Flyers were at 10 or so in round one. What intrigues me more about him is he is the son of a good NHLer. He's been around the game and has seen first hand what it takes to play at that level by watching his Father and his teams.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Dubois for me has now put himself in the Tkachuk and Nylander 'tier' of forwards in this draft... I kind of feel now that he is closer to them than Gauthier anyway. I really think Dubois is gone by ~#9... especially as he has been playing at centre this season and excelling.

I think the way I see the forward 'tiers' now are roughly:

Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi

Tkachuk
Nylander
Dubois

Gauthier
Rubtsov
Keller
Bellows
McLeod
Jost
Jones

Benson

Kunin
Asplund

the rest

Everyone up to Benson has obvious 1st line potential, but different levels and chances of getting there.

Then Kunin & Asplund I think are the start of the forwards who will likely be very good 2nd liners if they 'hit'.

The Gauthier to Jones tier is really hard to separate for me... I could spend hours arguing about it in my head, so just put them all together! There are guys I like more ofc and some have slightly better upside, some higher ceilings etc, but they are all in the same kind of ballpark I think.

Well, right now we are picking right in the 2nd tier of your forwards. Any of them would be a welcome addition.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Bellows would be a good choice if the Flyers were at 10 or so in round one. What intrigues me more about him is he is the son of a good NHLer. He's been around the game and has seen first hand what it takes to play at that level by watching his Father and his teams.

He is such a good goalscorer as well.

Honestly he may be the 2nd best 'natural' scorer in this draft after Laine.

Great shot, good skater, goes to the tough areas and knows how to get free around the net.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Well, right now we are picking right in the 2nd tier of your forwards. Any of them would be a welcome addition.

Well, 7th in actual standings but 9th in point %.

If we picked 7th I would be confident that 1 of those three would be there, and likely 2.

If we picked 9th I think there is a ~half chance 1/3 of them are there.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
for arguments sake,if all three were there...do we go dubois because hes the best fit? nylander was sure impressive at the worlds...

Tough question. Both can play LW btw.

Nylander is the better offensive player at this moment in time... but I think they are close overall in terms of current ability level as Dubois is better two-ways.

They probably have pretty similar offensive upside... but if they reached their ceilings I think Dubois would actually be the more valuable player. He has no real weakness, is versatile, super smart player... kind of has a bit of an 'aura' around him as a guy you would hang your hat on/go to the trenches with.

Coming into the season I would have said Nylander 10/10 times, and still think he is 'better'/should be higher ranked at the moment... but Dubois is fast catching him, if I were asked to pick right now 10 days in a row between the two I think there would be a pretty even split.

Come draft day it would actually not overly surprise me if Dubois went over Nylander and Tkachuk. His top-end if he develops perfectly is simply a more valuable player than the other two... and I think he is 'safer' in terms of say reaching a 2nd line level. He plays both centre and left wing too...

Also the Dubois and Couturier families are pretty darn close, their Dad's are best buddies, played junior together and Eric Dubois was coach of the Acadie-Bathurst Titan for two years with Sylvain Couturier hiring him.

Lets be honest... if the Flyers draft Dubois with the Q record we have... he is going to be legit!

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Tough question. Both can play LW btw.

Nylander is the better offensive player at this moment in time... but I think they are close overall in terms of current ability level as Dubois is better two-ways.

They probably have pretty similar offensive upside... but if they reached their ceilings I think Dubois would actually be the more valuable player. He has no real weakness, is versatile, super smart player... kind of has a bit of an 'aura' around him as a guy you would hang your hat on/go to the trenches with.

Coming into the season I would have said Nylander 10/10 times, and still think he is 'better'/should be higher ranked at the moment... but Dubois is fast catching him, if I were asked to pick right now 10 days in a row between the two I think there would be a pretty even split.

Come draft day it would actually not overly surprise me if Dubois went over Nylander and Tkachuk. His top-end if he develops perfectly is simply a more valuable player than the other two... and I think he is 'safer' in terms of say reaching a 2nd line level. He plays both centre and left wing too...

Also the Dubois and Couturier families are pretty darn close, their Dad's are best buddies, played junior together and Eric Dubois was coach of the Acadie-Bathurst Titan for two years with Sylvain Couturier hiring him.

Lets be honest... if the Flyers draft Dubois with the Q record we have... he is going to be legit!

thanks appleyard....if we are going to suck again this season, the least the hockey gods can do is bestow to the flyers faithful the gift that is dubois. pleeeez.

Jaraco

Mar 13, 2014
California
Hoping for one of the Finns or Dubois. I'll be freaking ecstatic if we get one of those guys, especially Dubois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad