2016 NHL Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I really want another first round pick. I'm actually liking the forward depth in this draft. Hopefully Hextall has some more tricks up his sleeve.

Yeh, the forwards in this draft are awesome, especially in regards to guys who will likely play wing at the next level. There are not many of them either that I kind of would naturally steer clear of.

Another 1st would be awesome...

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Yeh, the forwards in this draft are awesome, especially in regards to guys who will likely play wing at the next level. There are not many of them either that I kind of would naturally steer clear of.

Another 1st would be awesome...

I definitely could see Hextall making a package at the draft to move up and thus grab another first, but do you think we can acquire one at the deadline without giving up our 2nds?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I definitely could see Hextall making a package at the draft to move up and thus grab another first, but do you think we can acquire one at the deadline without giving up our 2nds?

Possibly. Teams get desperate. Though frankly Streit is the only guy who is likely to be moved who 'could' garner a 1st... and him having an extra year will mean he has less potential suitors.

I think most likely Hextall moves something like:

Medvedev for a 2nd
Gagner for a late pick (ie 5th)

If we acquired another 2nd the Flyers would then have probably:

~10-15th pick
~40-45th pick
~50-60th pick
~50-60th pick
~70-75th pick
~80-90th pick
~100-105th pick

which would give a heck of a lot of ability to move around at the draft if someone fell/Hextall thought a guy in the late 1st was worth moving up for.

Flyers traded a #29 and a #68 to move to #24

A #40 and a #55 would let them likely move to ~#26-#30 range going off prior moves up the draft. (http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up) And they would still have a late 2nd left as well.

Last edited:

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
My dream scenario is one of Gauthier/Dubois and Jost. Those are my draft crushes for this year. I would be so elated if that happened but it probably won't. :laugh:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Yah gautier or Dubios in the first, would be awesome.
But here's a situation where we could move down.if sergachev were available at our spot and gautier and Dubios are gone, do we take sergachev? Or move down. Get more draft cards, and move up that way, for a late first.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yah gautier or Dubios in the first, would be awesome.
But here's a situation where we could move down.if sergachev were available at our spot and gautier and Dubios are gone, do we take sergachev? Or move down. Get more draft cards, and move up that way, for a late first.

Would definitely move down a spot or two if a team behind us wants Sergachev bad enough to give us their 2nd or 3rd.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I would add Jones & Jost to that group too... I do not think they are too far off and both have great, 1st line, 60+ point potential. I would be happy to see either in O&B...

I'm sort of trusting Button's judgement on Jones. Button makes him sound like a "tons of tools, no toolbox" type of player. He went out on a limb and against the general consensus just like this with Virtanen and Zacha as well. So far, he's not looking wrong. Jones tentatively go's on my do not draft list.

I've never seen Yost, so yeah he could very well be included in the group of 4 I highlighted.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
No teams gonna give up a 2nd just to move 1 or 2 spots

The Flyers gave up the 61st pick in the last draft to move up 5 spots to select Konecny. It all depends on how bad a team wants a guy that they may lose out on to a team or two in front of them.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Now is the time to forgo depth for better players. Adding 2 top 6 players would be perfect and go a long way for setting up our top 9 in the future.

Perfect world, trade Streit for a pick in the 20-23 range. Win the lottery. Draft Matthews. Use our other picks to move up as far as possible from the 20-23 range. Rejoice.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
So I saw this over the weekend. I honestly don't know how he pulls it around the goalie, possibly of his own foot? Dirty regardless.

Fixed it for you.

(Remove URL tags and put everything after the = sign between the YT tags for it to work properly.)

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think if Edmonton ends up with a top 3, they may be interested in trading down for one of the defensemen. Do you think the Flyers should trade up if they are close enough between 5-8. It would likely cost one of Sanheim or Morin plus the 1st and maybe B.Schenn. I would probably do that for Matthews, maybe Laine if the Flyers see him as a future center.

This should be the highest the Flyers pick in a long time. Could be the last chance to get a close to guarenteed elite center who can step right in next season.

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
I had a dream that we traded Streit to BOS for their 1st. They went into freefall and missed the playoffs and so did we. We ended up winning the lottery twice and got the 2nd and 3rd picks. Took Laine and Puljujarvi. Oh my how awesome that would be but I can only dream...

Puljujarvi- Giroux- Laine
Voracek- Coutorier- Simmonds
Read- Schenn- Konecny
Leier- Laughton- Raffl

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
No chance Edmonton would pass on one of the top3.

They can't just keep taking forwards or they will be picking top 5 again in 2017. They have to invest in their defense at some point and no one is giving them a young top 4.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They can't just keep taking forwards or they will be picking top 5 again in 2017. They have to invest in their defense at some point and no one is giving them a young top 4.

We're talking about Edmonton here. I wouldn't be surprised if they pick forwards in the top 3 for the next 10 years. ;)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
People talk about trading top five picks every year & yet come draft day it never happens anymore. After seeing all the rumored prices over the years it's not surprising.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
How will a rookie defenseman change that?

Because that is all that is available to them. The Flyers realized that they can only get top defensemen thru the draft. That's why they have invested 3 straight 1st round picks. Edmonton has no top d-prospects left in their system. Morin and Sanheim are near ready and Chychrun and juolevi look close too.

That being said they are Edmonton and will just use the pick on a forward since it is the safest play. Chiarelli though isn't afraid to make deals. Eventually the franchise has to try and win.....Right?

Also if rookie defensemen can't help the oilers, how are they going to help the Flyers?

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Figured it was about time to post my top 30 for the draft as it stands... next few months it will be top 60 like last year, then a top 100 a few days before the draft.

Good starter for the thread to get it off on a note actually about the draft as well and encourage discussion.

Here goes:

#1: Auston Matthews: USA: 6'2, 194lbs. C. LHS
#2: Patrik Laine: FIN: 6'4, 209lbs. LW/RW. RHS.
#3: Jesse Puljujärvi: FIN: 6'3, 201lbs. RW/LW. RHS.
#4: Matthew Tkachuk: USA: 6'1, 187lbs. LW. LHS.
#5: Alexander Nylander: SWE: 6'0, 172lbs. RW/LW. RHS.
#6: Jakob Chychrun: CAN: 6'2, 194lbs. LD. LHS.
#7: Olli Juolevi: FIN: 6'2, 185lbs. LD. LHS.
#8: Mikhail Sergaychov: RUS: 6'2, 205lbs. LD. LHS.
#9: Pierre Luc-Dubois: CAN: 6'3, 201lbs. C/LW. LHS.
#10: Julien Gauthier: CAN: 6'4, 220lbs. RW. RHS.
#11: German Rubtsov: RUS: 6'1, 174lbs. C/LW. LHS.
#12: Clayton Keller: USA: 5'10, 168lbs. C/LW. LHS.
#13: Kieffer Bellows: USA: 6'1, 194lbs. LW/C. LHS.
#14: Michael McLeod: CAN: 6'2, 187lbs. C. RHS.
#15: Max Jones: USA: 6'3, 201lbs. LW. LHS.
#16: Dante Fabbro: CAN: 6'1, 190lbs. RD. RHS.
#17: Tyson Jost: CAN: 6'0, 194lbs. C/LW/RW. LHS.
#18: Charlie McAvoy: USA: 6'0, 205lbs. RD. RHS.
#19: Tyler Benson: CAN: 6'1, 201lbs. LW. LHS.
#20: Luke Kunin: USA: 6'1, 196lbs. C/RW. RHS.
#21: Rasmus Asplund: SWE: 6'0, 180lbs. C/LW. LHS.
#22: Jake Bean: CAN: 6'1, 175lbs. RD/LD. LHS.
#23: Logan Brown: CAN. 6'6, 222lbs, LW/C. LHS.
#24: William Bitten: CAN. 5'10, 168lbs. C. RHS.
#25: Dillon Dubé: CAN: 5'10, 181lbs. C/LW. LHS.
#26: Vitali Abramov: RUS: 5'9, 170lbs. LW. LHS.
#27: Jonathan Dahlen: SWE: 5'11, 176lbs. LW/C. LHS.
#28: Chad Krys: USA: 5'11, 185lbs. LD. LHS.
#29: Sam Steel: CAN: 5'11, 176lbs. C. LHS.
#30: Alex DeBrincat: USA: 5'7, 161lbs. RW/C. RHS.

My dream prospect to get this draft.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm sort of trusting Button's judgement on Jones. Button makes him sound like a "tons of tools, no toolbox" type of player. He went out on a limb and against the general consensus just like this with Virtanen and Zacha as well. So far, he's not looking wrong. Jones tentatively go's on my do not draft list.

I do understand why people have reservations over Jones... but he does have a pretty special combo of tools, and him not being PPG can in part be attributed to the fact that he has not been on PP1 much. He will never be 'the' offensive catalyst on his line, but could be awesome with a good playmaker centring him.

I've never seen Yost, so yeah he could very well be included in the group of 4 I highlighted.

Jost... because he plays in the BCHL it is hard to get a true read on him in comparison to his draft peers. But I get a sneaky feeling that he may well be a steal that people look back and put in top 10's in re-drafts.

He is a great goalscorer with a very good shot. (wrist, slap, backhand, one-timer all good.)
He is also a very good playmaker with great vision and great hockey sense.
Works hard, willing to go to tough areas, has obvious 'drive'.
Goes to the net hard.
Backchecks hard.
He is really dynamic, mobile and agile. Pretty good speed too.
Really, really nice hands.
Can play all three forward positions.
Makes players around him better.
Good in shoot-outs.

He was really good at the Hlinka for Canada as well. And made the World Junior A's look like child's play. (better than Rubtsov with arguably inferior linemates) His 2+ PPG in the BCHL is also excellent for his age.

Hakstol was also recruiting him for UND before he left to join the Flyers. And Jost ended up committing to UND.

His skill-set is just so good all-around... it is ofc hard to say exactly where he is at due to a lack of games against other high end prospects... but if he can adapt to a higher level he will be a serious, serious hockey player.

When I think more about him and his skill-set I think I put him a few spots too low on that list!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad