2016 NHL Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
It's really only ~3 hours a night, sometimes not at all, at most, and it's not like it's still not enjoyable hockey.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
would still take him personally... from the admittedly small sample size of a half dozen or so league games, prospect game and hilites ive seen hes always stood out if only for his size and finishing, both of which we could use. am always a fan of the size and speed package, rightly or wrongly. think he has the tools to be an talented imposing nhl player. is the fact hes a rw a big deal?

Yeah it's just a bit of a concern to me, not the end of the world though. I really don't have a favorite in this class nor am I really against anybody pegged to go in the Flyers likely pick range. I'm not one to really complain with what the Flyers do at the draft in general at this point.

As for him being a RW, I'm not really one to get hung up on positions. If the Flyers think he's the guy then that's fine by me.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Yeah it's just a bit of a concern to me, not the end of the world though. I really don't have a favorite in this class nor am I really against anybody pegged to go in the Flyers likely pick range. I'm not one to really complain with what the Flyers do at the draft in general at this point.

As for him being a RW, I'm not really one to get hung up on positions. If the Flyers think he's the guy then that's fine by me.

im with you. flyers have always been solid on draft day. really dont have a huge favorite in our range either but im very confident in hextall and our scouts.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How many people "post with such certainty" with regard to ALL prospects?

FLYguy, for example, spends a lot of time watching WHL games. He's qualified to post with relative certainty on WHL prospects, and he does. Appleyard watches lots of Euro league games. He's qualified to post with certainty on those prospects. But who are you referring to who speaks with certainty about every prospect?

Notice how few people post with certainty about guys like Tyson Jost and Clayton Keller? Nobody really claims to watch those guys. Most people only speak to the prospects they spend a lot of time watching.

The idea that anyone is watching every player is a myth you've created. Sure, some people talk out of their ass and based on readily available information, but I think you're overstating the instances of this.

Perhaps, but it just seems like whenever there is a discussion about a player that isn't on the Flyers (obviously we all watch a lot of Flyers games so it wouldn't be hard to get a good handle on our own players) there are a lot of people that have very concrete opinions of the guy. Just in the last couple weeks everyone is an expert on Drouin and Yakupov. Drouin is Gagner. Yakupov doesn't have the tools to be an NHLer. Earlier in the year it was Cody Hodgson, Steven Stamkos, Radel Fazleev, Anthony Mantha, and Philippe Myers. That's six players from different leagues and different time zones that people are experts on. In all of those discussions I never claimed to be an expert on the guys and only talked about either tempering expectations or giving the guys a chance to rebound. But the response was that I was unequivocally wrong. Drouin is Gagner and not worth it. Stamkos is a third liner with a good shot and not worth it. Yakupov doesn't have the tools to be in the NHL and isn't worth a second rounder. Cody Hodgson doesn't have the foot speed to play in the NHL. Radel Fazleev is looking like a steal because he is putting up good numbers in his draft +1 season (which, when I mention a guy like Drouin doing that...it is worthless and meaningless), Anthony Mantha sucks, Philippe Myers is now a better prospect than Robert Hagg.

I'm sure there are more examples out there, and while in some cases people were right (Hodgson) or what I was saying was wrong (I wouldn't trade Ghost for Mantha, however I would still be interested in obtaining him), I don't believe those people were right because they watched a lot of Buffalo Sabres games last season or a lot of Grand Rapids Griffins games either.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I like Gauthier. If that's who we take, I'd be happy with the decision. Thought he was noticeably pushing play forward in the WJC and I really like his size with the speed. His finishing ability is a positive. So he doesnt have a ton of assists, niether does Ovechkin. This team is mostly playmakers, if we get a guy who finishes plays and helps create them along the boards, I'm all for it. He's also a guy who's been projected as a top 10 pick since last year, so he's got plenty of precedence for being a decent prospect. If he can be our "Anthony Mantha", I'd be ecstatic. I'm sure the Flyers have seen a lot of him just from watching Aube-Kubel and our Q scouts are spot on.

This is it. Our scouts will know. There was an intermission feature on Gauthier during a broadcast and he is apparently a very good athlete and workout/rink rat. He's very strong too..

That said, after watching Max Jones destroy that guy last night, I would have no problem with the Flyers picking him!

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
When I had access to the games (HS).

That was a blow to a lot of people who followed juniors.

Scouts also don't attend every game. Scouting is much more than that, but it's facetious to suggest that people on here can't get a pretty good read on a player. Much more difficult, but the world is a lot smaller and it is easier to get educated. If you recall my report from two years ago at the STH meeting, Pyror himself stated that the fan / mock drafts were very close to their own mock ups.

I spent a lot of time looking at Provorov. A lot.

That being said -- it is still somewhat of a crap shoot (even for the scouts), but people can get involved in crap shoots.

Weirdly enough, it reminds me of horse racing. Even marginal education on horse betting (learn to read the stat sheets) and watching a lot of horse racing gives the spectator a decent edge (but of course the raceway has built-in ways of making money anyway).

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
That was a blow to a lot of people who followed juniors.

Scouts also don't attend every game. Scouting is much more than that, but it's facetious to suggest that people on here can't get a pretty good read on a player. Much more difficult, but the world is a lot smaller and it is easier to get educated. If you recall my report from two years ago at the STH meeting, Pyror himself stated that the fan / mock drafts were very close to their own mock ups.

I spent a lot of time looking at Provorov. A lot.

That being said -- it is still somewhat of a crap shoot (even for the scouts), but people can get involved in crap shoots.

Weirdly enough, it reminds me of horse racing. Even marginal education on horse betting (learn to read the stat sheets) and watching a lot of horse racing gives the spectator a decent edge (but of course the raceway has built-in ways of making money anyway).

I like to watch prospects when I can, but I've learned that you can never really judge a player's impact on the game by watching on TV. You have to see them live to follow them when the cameras don't. That's why scouts watch games, interview the kids and their coaches, meet their parents, etc. They get a lot more information than any of us can ever have access to. For the top prospects, it might be easier to rank the top 30, for example. Where the scouts make their money is making sure you don't make a mistake in the first two rounds, and then picking up gems in the later rounds - based on their intel.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This is it. Our scouts will know. There was an intermission feature on Gauthier during a broadcast and he is apparently a very good athlete and workout/rink rat. He's very strong too..

That said, after watching Max Jones destroy that guy last night, I would have no problem with the Flyers picking him!

That was a dumb hit, so I'm even less impressed by Jones now.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I like to watch prospects when I can, but I've learned that you can never really judge a player's impact on the game by watching on TV. You have to see them live to follow them when the cameras don't. That's why scouts watch games, interview the kids and their coaches, meet their parents, etc. They get a lot more information than any of us can ever have access to. For the top prospects, it might be easier to rank the top 30, for example. Where the scouts make their money is making sure you don't make a mistake in the first two rounds, and then picking up gems in the later rounds - based on their intel.

Good post.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
This draft class is a weird one, good depth in some positions and thin in others.
Hmm at 16, man I keep changing.
I would guess we have, Rostov,Jones,McLeod,brown,gauthier,bellows and dahlen, sitting as first round grades. So do we go with under 18s and risers, favouring the chl or flat out bpa. Us flyer fans are having a difficult time making up our minds. Luckily we have a deep and expensive scouting department, that has done a great job nailing first rounders, and now hexy seems to uncover some mid late rounds gems that hopefully push us over the top.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
This draft class is a weird one, good depth in some positions and thin in others.
Hmm at 16, man I keep changing.
I would guess we have, Rostov,Jones,McLeod,brown,gauthier,bellows and dahlen, sitting as first round grades. So do we go with under 18s and risers, favouring the chl or flat out bpa. Us flyer fans are having a difficult time making up our minds. Luckily we have a deep and expensive scouting department, that has done a great job nailing first rounders, and now hexy seems to uncover some mid late rounds gems that hopefully push us over the top.

The drafting tendency for this team at least in the mid first round is to take risers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad