Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know if he'll be as dynamic a scorer right off the bat as Laine and Matthews could be, but with his size, skating ability, and responsible play (relative to most prospects at least), I definitely he could fit in the NHL right away. He kinda reminds me of Zacha in that way. May not blow up the scoresheet every night as a youngster but does a lot of great things that you want your best forwards to do.

I feel the same way. I'm just too wary of non-WOW d prospects so early in the draft.

Good point.

And it also describes Juolevi.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
If our top choices are gone I wouldn't mind. Shero could trade down a few spots and probably still get him but getting cute like that makes me nervous. If he's the best player on their board, just take him.

Don't trade down from 11. I wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered if all the big forwards are gone and we have to take Sergachev/Juolevi, both are going to be really good players and we're not exactly stacked at LHD. Greene is aging and Moore/Merrill are both shaky, Sergachev has the makings of a fantastic top pairing puck moving defender, if that's who we get i won't be complaining.

If that does happen i wouldn't mind giving up some of our extra picks to move up from 41 back into the end of the first round or the very early part of the second. That way we could snag a good forward still to soften the blow of having to go defence at 11.

I'm all for going BPA though, drafting by immediate need is rarely the way to go.

No matter who we get at 11, the acquisition of the 2nd gives us some much needed breathing room in terms of picks. We should be calling everyone picking between 12 and 30 to move up from 41. If we get Serg at 11, we should get a forward with the other pick, and vice versa. That's my only requirement.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
No matter who we get at 11, the acquisition of the 2nd gives us some much needed breathing room in terms of picks. We should be calling everyone picking between 12 and 30 to move up from 41. If we get Serg at 11, we should get a forward with the other pick, and vice versa. That's my only requirement.

I endorse this. Considering how shallow the draft is, I'd hope Shero does whatever he can to move up from 41 to get his guy. Waiting for someone to fall that far might not be in our best interests.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Would you agree that Serg has better offensive skills/potential but he is more a risk that Juolevi?

Juolevi is going to be a very solid NHL defenseman, as is Jacob Chychrun. They are both quiet, steady Jay Bouwmeester-type players who should be very dependable.

Sergachev is the only one out of the three that offers "dynamic", which is to say "highlight-reel" ability. His shot is a bomb, he hits like a truck, he is willing to take more risks with the puck. Does that make HIM a risk as a draft pick? I would say no. I would say, however, he is the least polished defensively out of the three and likely furthest from the NHL due to this.

Oh, I agree with you on Reinhart too, by the way. I'm shooting you a link to the article I wrote the night of the trade. My words were not scathing, as I find it morally abhorrent to write that a 20 year old kid is a "bust", but I kind of alluded to it when I mentioned his "upside as a steady, mid-pairing defenseman". When the Isles drafted him I had the same reaction as when Columbus drafted Murray -- that neither had an upside even in Jacob Trouba's league.

In 2012, 8 D were taken in the top 10: Murray, Reinhart, Reilly, Dumba, Lindholm, Pouliot, Trouba and Koekkoek. That year, I said repeatedly Trouba was the best out of the 8. I also liked Reilly and Dumba a lot. I was wrong that I thought Anaheim's selection of Lindholm was awful, but I was right that I thought Murray and Reinhart were both middling prospects, not top 5 picks. As a group I would rank them below the 2016 top 8 D, who I will rank here, for you.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/edmonton-oilers/oilers-erred-by-trading-for-griffin-reinhart/

1 Sergachev
2 Chychrun
3 Juolevi
4 Fabbro
5 McAvoy
6 Fox
7 Bean
8 Peeke

(I have Dineen as my #9)

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Don't trade down from 11. I wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered if all the big forwards are gone and we have to take Sergachev/Juolevi, both are going to be really good players and we're not exactly stacked at LHD. Greene is aging and Moore/Merrill are both shaky, Sergachev has the makings of a fantastic top pairing puck moving defender, if that's who we get i won't be complaining.

If that does happen i wouldn't mind giving up some of our extra picks to move up from 41 back into the end of the first round or the very early part of the second. That way we could snag a good forward still to soften the blow of having to go defence at 11.

I'm all for going BPA though, drafting by immediate need is rarely the way to go.

If Shero does take Sergachev (or Juolevi/Chychrun) because our forward choices are gone I won't cry. I would want him to move up from 41 and would even be willing to include Merrill to do it if it gets us high enough.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
been hoping we would potentially move up from 41 into the back end of the first if a guy we like falls

that should be the plan IMO with all the draft picks we have the next 2-3 years

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think there are enough guys who will be there around 41 that I'm meh on trading up.

I'd be looking to trade up from the 3rd rounder.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
I so want Keller. I just think he's going to be an absolute star. I'll be crushed if we don't get him, especially if he's there and we pass on him.

As for Dineen, I hope we can get him but I don't think he'll be there. I see WPG taking him at 36 or MTL at 39.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I so want Keller. I just think he's going to be an absolute star. I'll be crushed if we don't get him, especially if he's there and we pass on him.

As for Dineen, I hope we can get him but I don't think he'll be there. I see WPG taking him at 36 or MTL at 39.

I don't think Devils get Keller, but there is NO WAY they would pass up on him at 11. I agree he is going to be a star. I simply cannot see Buffalo passing on him at #8.

Dineen is tougher to project. I can see him going as early as #23 (Florida), but I can also see him dropping to NJ at #41, depending on how things play out.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah Columbus won the Calder Cup so I guess they did acquire some prospects down there after all haha

Kind of ironic that Shero's former team is probably going to win the Stanley Cup and Castron's won the AHL. Hopefully it's a good sign for our drafts to come :P

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
It would not surprise me at all.

He's a goal scorer with great hands, energy and hockey sense.
Just like Konecny

If we can't get one of the higher-rated forwards I'd be happy with Kunin lining up next to Zacha for years.

In fact, there's only one player (who I won't name for fear I'll jinx us into taking him) who I don't want. I can get excited about just about every other player that should be available in our range.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
If we can't get one of the higher-rated forwards I'd be happy with Kunin lining up next to Zacha for years.

In fact, there's only one player (who I won't name for fear I'll jinx us into taking him) who I don't want. I can get excited about just about every other player that should be available in our range.

Max Jones? Sort of has that Lawson Krause syndrome going on....

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

i bet any large forward - mcleod, jones, gauthier....

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
i bet any large forward - mcleod, jones, gauthier....

...add a few more names, I guess it's more than one lol...although Jones, Gauthier, etc would be disappointing I don't necessarily see them in the Devils' range...I think Jones and Gauthier are likely stiffs but they'll go late teens-early 20's...McLeod is probably the very bottom of what would be acceptable in my personal opinion, just because of his raw skating and athleticism I think he could be developed....there's only one player mentioned in the media as a potential top forward pick who I'm wary of.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Any idea as to who we interviewed on combine day ?
Also who will we be interviewing on draft day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce