Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
I want Jost/Keller if they are on the board. Then trading up to get DeBrincat with the 41st + a 3rd if he slips to the 2nd. DeBrincat is pure skill and scoring and a RW to boot. Good reach pick if he Shero can get him.

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
If Nylander does slip to 9 and knowing of Montreal's apparent fondness for Brown, do you think they'd accept one of our 3rds to let us swap 1sts, given that Brown is likely still there at 11?

That way we pick the RW we need, they very likely get the big centre they like plus an extra pick.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Edmonton will continue to have issues if they continue to take forwards. I would be shocked if Buffalo doesn't take defense if it is on the board. They have so little down the pipeline.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Edmonton will continue to have issues if they continue to take forwards. I would be shocked if Buffalo doesn't take defense if it is on the board. They have so little down the pipeline.

Depends on what their board looks like. If the top rated defenseman on their board is at 7 or 8, do they take him at 4 because they need defensemen?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
If Nylander does slip to 9 and knowing of Montreal's apparent fondness for Brown, do you think they'd accept one of our 3rds to let us swap 1sts, given that Brown is likely still there at 11?

That way we pick the RW we need, they very likely get the big centre they like plus an extra pick.

I like Brown too. Not sure I would pick the winger over the 6'6" fast Center.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Found this post from earlier this year that I thought was interesting for a couple reasons. I'm sure some of you have read it already.

Derian Hatcher has a specific idea of how he wants his team to play. Chychrun has bought into that mindset really well.

It used to be that Sarnia was the epitome of a "junior-style" team, where offensive players cheated for pucks and the biggest talents had free reins to play however they wanted, as long as they scored. It was one of the biggest reasons why NHL teams didn't take to the Sting program as well as they did to other franchises, despite some big-name prospects coming through their system in recent years like Stamkos, Yakupov, and Galchenyuk.

It's one of the reasons why Pavel Zacha wasn't putting up big numbers last season, IMO. He's a smarter player than people give him credit for, but when his teammates are roaming around wildly and with no structure, it's hard to develop chemistry with them, forcing him to play a style that doesn't suit him. He's not like the aforementioned 3 in that he doesn't have the kind of skating burst that allows him to go out and score despite his team, he is at his best in a system that allows for a strong cycle game and controlled offensive zone time. Which the Sting have never really had.

Hatcher was brought in this year to change that, and so far it's worked wonders because the team is far more competitive as a whole, and a lot more balanced down the roster. Chychrun's game is different from last year where he could go out and do whatever he wanted, it's a lot more controlled and structured. He has the talent to play a run-and-gun game but Hatcher was a defense-first player and if you want ice time as a defenseman under him, you'd better make sure to protect your own turf first.

Chychrun was never going to look like Sergachev or Juolevi under Hatcher because the other two play in a more open system and have more of a green light to take chances, but I think his transition to the NHL is going to be easier. He's shown he can be a force, but also that he can play a safe, reliable game. That'll help get him minutes in the NHL.

I think he still has number 1 upside, he hasn't shown me anything to suggest that he can't play 22+ minutes in the NHL one day. He's the best defenseman on the Sting, and the go-to guy in all situations. He still has an amazing ability to move the puck up the ice. Doesn't have any major weaknesses, besides the fact that his current production isn't matching up to his talent level.

If guys like Ekblad and Chychrun were only dominating with physical ability, I would be worried. But these guys are elite junior defensemen while playing a more cerebral game than most people expect out of a big player. They have the ability to assert their physicality but they just don't need to most of the time because they're smart and have an excellent grasp of the fundamentals. The physical aspect is a secondary fallback, which suggest they won't be struggling with bigger players when they DO need to use their bodies.

It's not gospel, but something to consider.

Last edited:

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I could see only forwards taken in the Top-10.

It's really unlikely. The quality of Juolevi and Chychrun is too high and Sergachev could be the best of them all. One of them could drop, but the possibility is exceedingly low that more than that is available at 11. If there's two of them there, I think it opens the door for a trade down a few spots if a forward target is likely to be on the board still or we just take one of em.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If one of the big name LHD fall to us, I wouldn't hesitate to draft them. It seems as they are a big step up from the Jost, Keller, Bellows group we will be drafting in.

I would argue that it is an even more dire need than our forwards at this point.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
id take Chychrun over Keller quite easily. getting the best defenseman of the draft at 11 is a nobrainer for me

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Curious if anyone is at concerned with Shero's poor drafting record while in Pittsburgh?

It is really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad