GDT: 2016 NHL Draft | Now with more Fleury!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Can someone explain to me why Las Vegas would possibly accept a 2nd round pick to not take Murray? "Hey I know you can pick a 22 year old cup winning stud starter, but wouldn't you rather have a 2nd round pick and have Jaroslav Halal instead??"

They won't. It's the same 5-10 people coming up with the same never-happening hypotheticals to argue with people raising legitimate concerns

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Breaking up the HBK line is the equivalent to never going back to play the 2-3 forecheck we won the Cup with in 09. You at least have to start with those 3. They were too good.

I agree.

But another thing I think people underestimate here is the marketing aspect. Whether people here like it or not, this is a business. Not only was HBK great on the ice, they were great for the team off-ice. It brought attention from the WWE, it had a sandwich named after them, a CPA organization sponsored t-shirts one night because their name has HBK in it, t-shirts and merch were made and sold.

HBK is staying together until it dramatically falters. It's too good for the team in too many ways.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Can someone explain to me why Las Vegas would possibly accept a 2nd round pick to not take Murray? "Hey I know you can pick a 22 year old cup winning stud starter, but wouldn't you rather have a 2nd round pick and have Jaroslav Halal instead??"

Cuz most likely MM is off the table period, for them.
ie. LV takes the assets or the Pens buyout MAF as a last resort.

If you're LV what would you do?

I believe JR will get MAF traded before that point though.

philchaka

Apr 15, 2014
I guess it isn't worth arguing on a beautiful Saturday, I just strongly believe in the value of two goaltenders and winning when you have a clear window.

2019 seems much more foggy than 2017 to me.

Jul 4, 2010
A couple names left I would love to nab with our pick if they're there are Simon Stransky and Ondrej Najman. I've seen Stransky as high as a second round pick in most mocks I've seen, that'd be a great value pick in the 6th.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Except no one outside of people on this board have suggested either of these things as a possibility.

Literally the only reason to think they liked Elliott better or to suggest they weren't getting a fair offer is to be argumentative.

Okay well someone can "possibly suggest", which carries basically zero weight, that we wanted too much for Fleury. What was the actual offer? The sixth overall? That sounds unlikely, but maybe it was the sixth overall for Fleury and our two second rounders. That sounds a little more believable, even if it's still unrealistic. Maybe a prospect was involved. Maybe JR asked for too much because he doesn't mind having both guys for the time being. Who really knows? JR and the entire org all of a sudden being a bunch of clueless morons who are just like Shero in his time here is probably the least likely scenario, but people can continue to waste their time harping on it with little to not information if they like I suppose.

philchaka

Apr 15, 2014

If it is clear that the Penguins will buy out Fleury regardless, why wouldn't you?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Could we possibly go back to talking draft and not spamming the entire thread with how mad everyone is for not having traded Fleury or Kunitz yet? The need for instant gratification here is something awful.

It almost makes this board unreadable. We ****ing get it. Those 2 aren't traded. I wish they were as well, but can we not do this all summer long? I'm not trying to tell you how to feel about stuff, but it's just getting a bit... too much.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Okay well someone can "possibly suggest", which carries basically zero weight, that we wanted too much for Fleury. What was the actual offer? The sixth overall? That sounds unlikely, but maybe it was the sixth overall for Fleury and our two second rounders. That sounds a little more believable, even if it's still unrealistic. Who really knows? JR and the entire org all of a sudden being a bunch of clueless morons who are just like Shero in his time here is probably the least likely scenario.

The offer was 35th and a 2nd in 2017

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If Murray was spectacular this playoff run I could understand some of the complaining. He was solid, but he also showed glaring weakness with his glove hand. That weakness could be exposed this's upcoming season if he were are mainstay in goal. JR knows goalies....do you get that? The one area where he is an expert is at goalie. He knew he had to keep MAF if we wanted to defend our cup.

philchaka

Apr 15, 2014
I'm also willing to trust the guy who somehow got a cup contender to take Rob Scuderi off our hands in December.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The smart play would have been to move both. Clear up a lot of cap space, create opportunities for young guys to step into those roles, and grab a few picks/prospects to fill a pretty barren cupboard.

There's no reason to say "JR couldn't do that" because he could he just didn't want to. That's what's so frustrating to people. The moves were available to him but he didn't make them.

Pens won a cup, they bought themselves a 1-2 year grace period to shed dead weight and make themselves better for the foreseeable future.

Even if trading MAF makes the team worse next season it makes them more flexible to create an even better team in the years to come

I wanted MAF gone too. but its not the end of the world to have goalie depth. People seem to forget that zatkoff was our playoff starter due to injuries. As bad as MAF is in the playoffs(which is not even that true, hes been solid the last 2 playoffs he started) id rather have him in over jarry or zatkoff if murray were to get hurt.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
After hearing what JR said, what I took out of it is he's pretty much done. Let the free agents walk and go into the season with 1 mil in cap space. I dont like our D depth at all. Im a bit frustrated at this point. Why not try and get better, i know we won the cup but other teams are trying to get better.

Because the Penguins are living proof of the adage that history repeats itself.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Now Fleury is over paid.....?

Wow!

I get you guys want the new toy to take over, but Fleury is one good goaltender, and slandering him to that effect is mischievous.

It's pretty bad that you all believe it to be true and are serious.

There are more questions then answers for Murray this season, and Fleury won't be backing up Murray. This is an equal opportunity for both. I'd give the slight edge to Fleury in a 60/40 split. That's like 30+ games for Murray. At worst, if both are healthy and are in for the entire season would be a split.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Breaking up the HBK line is the equivalent to never going back to play the 2-3 forecheck we won the Cup with in 09. You at least have to start with those 3. They were too good.

The opportunity was there to give Sid and Geno each a little more help while keeping HBK.

It required two 'hard' choices. Kunitz and Fleury. JR can get to the point where he can pull the trigger, but he just refuses to do it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Wow!

I get you guys want the new toy to take over, but Fleury is one good goaltender, and slandering him to that effect is mischievous.

There are more questions then answers for Murray this season, and Fleury won't be backing up Murray. This is an equal opportunity for both. I'd give the slight edge to Fleury in a 60/40 split. That's like 30+ games for Murray. At worst, if both are healthy and are in for the entire season would be a split.

And, then, who is your starter in the playoffs?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Wow!

You don't know the meaning of the word slander

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm also willing to trust the guy who somehow got a cup contender to take Rob Scuderi off our hands in December.

Just because JR made good moves doesn't mean that he's impervious to criticism. Stan Bowman won 3 cups with the Hawks and he turned Sharp and Johns into 10 games of Ehrhoff. That was an awful trade sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad