GDT: 2016 NHL Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's the self-pity that was ****ing disgusting among Leafs fans... "I expect to drop down to 4th, nothing good ever happens to the Leafs blah blah blah." Like shut the **** up, stop crying.

Can you blame them?

Not one cup finals appearance since Vietnam....

What a tanking disgrace.

No way they weren't tanking, with that lineup the last few weeks of the season and playing Dwight from The Walking Dead in goal at least half the games down the stretch, because he gave them a better chance to lose than Bernier even in a terrible career worst season.:laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
****ing Jets...

That franchise was blessed with Kovy, now they have Laine. Yuck.

No they weren't...he ran away screaming before they moved. And they're out of conference - for all I care all three teams that won the lottery could have been out of conference.

And the Atlanta franchise did squadoosh with the Russian anyway. One division title and an embarassment of a sweep by the Rangers.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Yeah, that was definitely rigged...Toronto winning, AND edmonton getting pushed back to avoid the fiasco of them winning again.

c'est la vie

winnipeg get the next finnish superstar

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In fairness, its not the same franchise. Im more disgusted about the Leafs.

I am too

But I'm convinced the Jets are purposely tanking also, right from the ownership. How does Chevrolet or Cabrioletoff or whatever get so much rope up there? 5 years and 1 playoff berth, bottom 10 finishes almost every other year. Won't move on from the league's undisputed worst starting goaltender, year after year. How the hell is this guy still employed?

I'm surprised he's not working as a scout for the Devils yet, like the Jets former head coach Claude Noel.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It wouldn't stop tanking inasmuch as non-playoff teams are still going to sell off everything that isn't bolted down to the door at the deadline to get assets back. The only thing you'll stop is silliness like Buffalo trading all of its goalies last year to get worse goalies, but even that doesn't usually happen except in a McEichel year.

It would make boarder line playoff teams decide to sell or buy and then I'd like to see a team within a few points of a playoff spot sell to their fans why they are giving up on the season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who do you think rolled up to the building in the nicest tank tonight?

The tank seems so strong in Toronto and maybe even Winnipeg, I'd bet Chevy ditched his Chevy for a Landkreuzer.

I'm assuming Shanny rolled up in something that he got from a Vietnam War museum., just because 1967....

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
This is what I don't get. Change the lottery so more teams get a shot to win. Did it stop teams from tanking? Nope. They should just change it so all that miss the playoffs have the same shot. It's better than seeing this same crap every year

Lottery is better than it has ever been.

The odds of the Leafs finishing fourth were 47.5%. They essentially had a 50-50 chance of falling out of the top three by finishing last. Last year, Buffalo was GUARANTEED 1 or 2 for tanking the entire year.

Of course, the odds are that the teams who finish last will get one of the top picks. However, it's not a guarantee anymore and I would imagine teams would avoid blatantly tanking to do so. As for Toronto, this year definitely seems more of a "clear out the garbage" year than a tank to me. Getting rid of Kessel and Phaneuf was something they desperately needed to do. I don't expect any team to compete when they trade away their best forward and defender.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Not going to lie, I really wanted one of those top 3 picks and am kind of disappointed it didn't go our way. I was doing some serious wishful thinking. I'm also not opposed to trading the 11th pick for a young forward whomever that could be.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It would make boarder line playoff teams decide to sell or buy and then I'd like to see a team within a few points of a playoff spot sell to their fans why they are giving up on the season.

Like Shero did trading Stempniak when we were within a few points?

It would still be foolish to turn down assets for rentals when you're a borderline playoff team a few points on the wrong side of the bubble even if you weren't guaranteed a top five pick. I think people confuse tanking with planning and gaining assets for the future. Tanking is what Buffalo did last year, and clearly their fans were behind it which was even more nose-holding. But by the definition of tanking some have here, we did that trading Stemp at the deadline.

What annoys me about Toronto is they were so out front with it it was like they were proud of it...we're going to have a lot of pain, yadda yadda yadda. If Shanny really said we earned it the hard way that...is facepalm-worthy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

It would still be foolish to turn down assets for rentals when you're a borderline playoff team a few points on the wrong side of the bubble even if you weren't guaranteed a top five pick. I think people confuse tanking with planning and gaining assets for the future. Tanking is what Buffalo did last year, and clearly their fans were behind it which was even more nose-holding. But by the definition of tanking some have here, we did that trading Stemp at the deadline.

What annoys me about Toronto is they were so out front with it it was like they were proud of it...we're going to have a lot of pain, yadda yadda yadda. If Shanny really said we earned it the hard way that...is facepalm-worthy.

I'm pretty sure he said quote for quote, ''Well we earned this the hard way'' when interviewed directly after. I'm still skeeved out by the faces he made after finding out they had won. Looked like the woman of his dreams just said yes to his marriage proposal.

Hopefully the video is up soon, maybe on the NHL app.

He says it around the 2:34 mark.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

He absolutely said that. It was a little embarrassed for him.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario

He did. Heard with my own ears.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm pretty sure he said quote for quote, ''Well we earned this the hard way'' when interviewed directly after. I'm still skeeved out by the faces he made after finding out they had won. Looked like the woman of his dreams just said yes to his marriage proposal.

Hopefully the video is up soon, maybe on the NHL app.

lol I pretty much turned it off/stopped paying attention after the results...oy vey. I don't know whether he brought the tanking culture there or it engulfed him upon arrival but either way it's embarassing to say that. About as bad as the Sabres GM admitting he was dreaming about McDavid last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad