GDT: 2016 Nhl Draft June 24-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Calgary made the right move. They don't need to pay anything extra for Fleury.

I don't blame Calgary for going with Elliott, I blame JR for asking for an astronomical price for Fleury when he barely had any leverage.

In an unrelated note, the Jets defense is going to be massive when Stanley makes the NHL. Myers is 6'8", Stanley is 6'7", Byfuglien is 6'5" and Trouba is 6'3".

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
4. Allan Walsh is one of the biggest SOB agents there is. In 12 months, when Fleury is talking about not wanting to hurt the Pens, he'll remind them that the way the Pens repaid him this summer was by refusing to trade him for an okay return and forcing him to spend another year as a backup. Now, if YOU think Fleury will ignore his agent and be charitable in 12 months AND if YOU want to tell me, as you have, that's more likely than Fleury forcing a buyout, then we're just on two different planets in this thread.

What is wrong with a buyout? It gets MAF off the team and we keep Murray. It isn't ideal but the entire premise is not losing Murray long term. Buying out Fleury accomplishes this.

I'd rather pay MAF 1.9M over 4 years than trade Murray (even if the haul is great) or obviously lose him for nothing in the expansion draft, which will not happen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From Yohe:

Rutherford said he never came close to trading anyone tonight. He loves this draft and thinks the Penguins can make out with two second-round picks. And he wants to start next season with Fleury and Matt Murray.

JR better make damn sure he can trade Fleury by next summer and Fleury won't ***** about not starting 60 games next year.

What is wrong with a buyout? It gets MAF off the team and we keep Murray. It isn't ideal but the entire premise is not losing Murray long term. Buying out Fleury accomplishes this.

I'd rather pay MAF 1.9M over 4 years than trade Murray (even if the haul is great) or obviously lose him for nothing in the expansion draft, which will not happen.

$2 million in dead cap space is crippling for the Penguins.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Actually, it's not my speculation. But, hey, kool aid rocks.

Because I don't preemptively complain about a narrative that I created on how the next year is going to go, I'm drinking the kool aid?

Okay. I'm sorry for having some level of patience and willingness to see how this plays out over the next week.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I didn't say buying out Fleury isn't preferable to trading Murray.

I was saying in 12 months it's in Fleury's interest to force the Pens to buy him out, something his agent will spend the next 12 months pointing out to him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If JR is positive he can trade Fleury next summer and he has been assured by Fleury that MAF won't be upset with only playing ~50 games next year, then I'm fine with the Pens keeping MAF. Those are some big ifs though, 2 of which I doubt JR has right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I hate that idea from JR. You better be damn sure you can move him. I have to be honest though, there is part of me wanting Fleury moved because I'm ready to move on from the Fleury era. I've seen what Murray can do and I'm ready for him to be the guy and let Fleury play somewhere else

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Because I don't preemptively complain about a narrative that I created on how the next year is going to go, I'm drinking the kool aid?

Okay. I'm sorry for having some level of patience and willingness to see how this plays out over the next week.

Whoa, put on your parking breaks. I premised this entire discussion on IF Fleury is on the opening day roster.

I'm concerned right now. More concerned than I was a day ago. But, the panic doesn't come until the fall.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
But, if you're concerned, then it's panic. :popcorn:

40 plus pages of comments revolving mostly around the potential Fleury deal including those calling management lazy and stating they made bad decisions without knowing the full story comes across as more than concern.

There is reason for concern, but there is also reason to have some confidence in this team's position moving forward. . .

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I hate that idea from JR. You better be damn sure you can move him. I have to be honest though, there is part of me wanting Fleury moved because I'm ready to move on from the Fleury era. I've seen what Murray can do and I'm ready for him to be the guy and let Fleury play somewhere else

I'm just sick of seeing him, his past has soured me on him and him falling apart when Pens fell apart vs TB pissed me off.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I also wonder how easy it will be to manage the Fleury versus Murray thing over an 82 game season. This playoff run was a different beast, given Fleury coming off an injury and how Murray played in the first two rounds and given that it was a cup run. Regular season is a different beast. Can't imagine it will be a healthy situation.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Fleury is going to be one dark ugly cloud hanging over our heads for a good while longer. Its ****ing stupid. Pens still don't ever sell for future assets.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
From Yohe:

JR better make damn sure he can trade Fleury by next summer and Fleury won't ***** about not starting 60 games next year.

$2 million in dead cap space is crippling for the Penguins.

It's far from ideal, but it's certainly not crippling. This is where people come up with the word "panic". Maybe overreacting is more accurate, because that's how I would describe the use of the word "crippling" in this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad