2016 NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread Part II

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Great game. Makes up for what was a lackluster tournament. The funny thing is that game tying shot may be one of the best shots in the history of the tournament but the odd thing is, it won't be remembered because of that buzzer beater. I don't think if he tried that again in that situation that he'd make it. Hell of a shot but incredibly lucky. If you see the overhead shot of the game winner it so looks like its going long to the left.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great game. Makes up for what was a lackluster tournament. The funny thing is that game tying shot may be one of the best shots in the history of the tournament but the odd thing is, it won't be remembered because of that buzzer beater. I don't think if he tried that again in that situation that he'd make it. Hell of a shot but incredibly lucky. If you see the overhead shot of the game winner it so looks like its going long to the left.
Not so surprisingly, once again we disagree. The last word I would use to describe this year's NCAA's is "lacklustre." On the contrary, this year is one of the most memorable NCAA tournaments that I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them. I think this tournament tied the record for most upsets in the first round, with the MSU defeat being one of the greatest upsets in history. In the second round, it had the epic Northern Iowa meltdown, a debacle the like of which I have never seen on a basketball court before. It had perhaps the most exciting final, certainly among them, in it championship game. Villanova is also an extremely worthy champion who defeated two legit #1s for the title. So add it up: tons of upsets; wild finishes; epic losses; brilliant final; worthy champion. Only you and your never ending ultra-negative attitude could call that "lacklustre." At least you could recognize the quality of the final. Thank goodness for that.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yeah that shot would have been replayed a million times if not for the one after it. There were a lot of lackluster games, but some remarkable moments this year.

One of the best buzzer beaters ever, Part 1 (half courter)

Arguably the greatest first round upset ever (Michigan St)

Greatest last minute comeback / collapse ever

And one of the greatest buzzer beaters ever, Part 2 (Nova)

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Also I thought Nantz's call was awful. "Phenomenal" - that's what you say after the game winner? I thought it was brutal.

Of course watching live, you couldn't hear anything because of the steamers popping...

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think Booth deserves a lot of credit for that little jumper he hit right at the end of the first half after NC blew a fast break opportunity. So instead of a potential 41-32 half time score, it was 39-34. Hell of a big diffence, that.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston

Que?

I guess we just have different standards, but this was one of the best tournaments in a long time. Really honestly aside from the two Final Four games and a sprinkle of others, the majority of the tournament was great to me.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Not so surprisingly, once again we disagree. The last word I would use to describe this year's NCAA's is "lacklustre." On the contrary, this year is one of the most memorable NCAA tournaments that I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them. I think this tournament tied the record for most upsets in the first round, with the MSU defeat being one of the greatest upsets in history. In the second round, it had the epic Northern Iowa meltdown, a debacle the like of which I have never seen on a basketball court before. It had perhaps the most exciting final, certainly among them, in it championship game. Villanova is also an extremely worthy champion who defeated two legit #1s for the title. So add it up: tons of upsets; wild finishes; epic losses; brilliant final; worthy champion. Only you and your never ending ultra-negative attitude could call that "lacklustre." At least you could recognize the quality of the final. Thank goodness for that.

This.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
He shouldn't be crying like that at the podium lol. I mean its not like he's never won one.
It doesn't matter. He could have 10 National Championships and he still wouldn't have felt any different.

Roy loves his kids and desperately wanted to get a championship for them, especially for the ones that won't be back next season.

And it was an awesome tourney this year. Some ****** games, but they can't all be winners. As a college hoops junkie, it sucks it's all over. November is so far away.

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
Are you watching the UNC team stream?

Yuge final 4 minutes here. Let's ****ing go Nova

Yes, I was. I had no idea there were different broadcast teams you could watch for this game. I was wondering why I wasn't seeing anything on Twitter about the announcers basically cheering for UNC. :laugh:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Everybody will remember the back to back 3's to end the game, but sometimes the little things matter too. Remember Ochefu carefully mopping the floor?

So as he took the court to run the play, called Nova, one last time on Monday night, after North Carolina had capped a roughly five-minute rally with a double-pump 3-pointer to tie the score with 4.7 seconds left, Daniel Ochefu, Villanova’s 6-foot-11 senior, grabbed a mop — more of a towel on a stick, really — and wiped a spot on the floor about midway down the court on the left side, near the benches.

He knew he had hurled his sweaty frame there moments earlier as he tried in vain to prevent Marcus Paige’s game-tying 3-pointer. And he knew that Nova — if run properly — would soon race over the wet spot he had left behind. “So I was, like, make sure the floor is dry,” Ochefu said.

“I knew exactly where I had to set the screen,” he said of his role, which was to spring guard Ryan Arcidiacono. “I didn’t want to slip. I didn’t want Arch to slip.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/sports/ncaabasketball/villanova-national-championship.html?action=click&contentCollection=College%20Basketball&module=RelatedCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Well, that's more an issue with your cable provider, not necessarily Turner's fault. And you can always stream the games.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
There are only 6 six major-conference teams that have not won a tourney game this century: Nebraska, Northwestern, Oregon State, Rutgers, South Carolina, and TCU.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad