Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 1st Overall - Auston Matthews V2

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Hemsky and Affinoganov both produced, M.A. had a 73 point season followed by a season of 61 points in 56 games, hemsky had a few 70 point seasons. They just got older and injured
and both their best seasons peaked at 23 goals. Hemsky only broke 20 goals twice his entire career

those guys were pretty elite as far as talent goes. Looking up their stats for the first time I still consider them examples of guys who didn't live up to their talent

if Matthews can only break 20 goals twice his entire career he is a colossal bust

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
GUSCwck.jpg

Sweet..totally buying that one. I bet they have scientific analysis of the glass itself that proves once and for all that the glass was not flawed, it just could not stand up to the awesomeness that is Matthews, even if only in a glancing manner.:sarcasm:

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Sweet..totally buying that one. I bet they have scientific analysis of the glass itself that proves once and for all that the glass was not flawed, it just could not stand up to the awesomeness that is Matthews, even if only in a glancing manner.:sarcasm:

It's the Toronto media, let's be real here.

"Matthews blatant disrespect of ACC a clear sign he wants a trade to Arizona?"

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
As if he broke the glass in his first practice.

It doesn't mean anything, but that's still awesome.

cwulf

Dec 7, 2015
and both their best seasons peaked at 23 goals. Hemsky only broke 20 goals twice his entire career

those guys were pretty elite as far as talent goes. Looking up their stats for the first time I still consider them examples of guys who didn't live up to their talent

if Matthews can only break 20 goals twice his entire career he is a colossal bust

So by your definition, Joe Thornton or Ron Francis are not really hall of famers because they didn't produce a ton of goals?

Oh ya, Kaberle was also a huge dud because he never scored... or shot the puck.

sublmnlcrimnl

Aug 28, 2009
What is Matthews Talent Score?

Maybe this has been debated already, but..
If McDavid is a 10 and Eichel is a 9, does that mean Matthews is a 9.5.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

He's had the upper hand on Eichel at every comparable stage they've played at so far, even destroying Patrick Kane's US development team record for points in a season, if be comfortable saying he's a solid 9.5 against those guys

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

He's had the upper hand on Eichel at every comparable stage they've played at so far, even destroying Patrick Kane's US development team record for points in a season, if be comfortable saying he's a solid 9.5 against those guys

I could live with 9.2 also, to be honest he's already miles from Eichel when it comes to the 200 foot game...he may not have Jack's top end speed but when you have that size and puck protection, it doesn't matter.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
True but Matthews did go PPG in the elimination round. It means nothing until is nhl regular season but it does inspire lots of hope since he was playing against nhl players on nhl ice.

Don't forget his line mate was mcdavid. No one on the leafs compares to mcdavid.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Don't forget his line mate was mcdavid. No one on the leafs compares to mcdavid.

Yes but imo this just speaks to Matthews level. We don't have mcdavid level talent but we have a few very high skilled people he can play with.
My point is that I'm not too concerned.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
All indications so far point to him having a major impact with the Leafs but some of you are a bit over the top with the praise. Tempered expectations are always going to be felt by myself, been a fan since around 1969 so it has been welded to my DNA. I hope the high praisers turn out to be profits though.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I'll never forget the Toronto media saying Lou was alienating Matthews by not signing him a day after we drafted him. This was going to lead to Matthews resenting Toronto and leaving at the first opportunity. Why is Lou destroying the franchise. This is the old Leafs all over again. Bla Bla Bla.... HAHAHAHAHA

The Toronto media is a joke!!!

P.S. It's too bad my brother eats that stuff up and then texts me losing his minds. Hahahaha

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
All indications so far point to him having a major impact with the Leafs but some of you are a bit over the top with the praise. Tempered expectations are always going to be felt by myself, been a fan since around 1969 so it has been welded to my DNA. I hope the high praisers turn out to be profits though.

How much passive aggressive resentment do you have built up?
I actually mean that -- if I were a fan of a team that didn't win anything spanning 6 decades........
:help:

I'm only in my 3rd decade (born in the 80s, cognizant of my fandom in the 90s) and I'm already starting to lose it.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
How much passive aggressive resentment do you have built up?
I actually mean that -- if I were a fan of a team that didn't win anything spanning 6 decades........
:help:

I'm only in my 3rd decade (born in the 80s, cognizant of my fandom in the 90s) and I'm already starting to lose it.

LOL what? Are you suggesting I need help for being a fan of a losing team for so long? Normally I would find this quite chuckle worthy and say my wife would agree, but since you indicated you are serious, it's just a sports team bud, I have no anger or resentment against the Leafs even after all this time. I have just learned to temper my expectations no matter who is supposed to be the next great Leaf.

oldfan2010

Jan 2, 2010
Muskoka
I have been a fan since 61. Every year, I enjoy the sense of renewal. Never jaded. This year is particularly enjoyable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad