Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 1st Overall - Auston Matthews V2

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I believe it.

I think a big part of him LOVES how much attention hockey gets here. Growing up in Arizona as a massive hockey fan must have been tough sometimes. Some pros like living in cities where most people don't care about the sport, but I think Auston finds the passion here refreshing and exciting.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I believe it.

I think a big part of him LOVES how much attention hockey gets here. Growing up in Arizona as a massive hockey fan must have been tough sometimes. Some pros like living in cities where most people don't care about the sport, but I think Auston finds the passion here refreshing and exciting.

The city is always buzzing.
From just a sports side he walked in with the World Cup in Toronto, the Jays in a playoff race, Leaf training camp and Raptors off a good run last year.

GoLeafs13

Jul 23, 2010
Jonas Siegel tweeted that Babcock said Matthews will start on Toronto's 3rd line as a centre... Does he mean the season or thursdays pre season game?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Did he smashed the glass before or after Babs said he is the 3rd line Center for the next game? Hahahaha

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I believe it.

I think its partially rooted in the fact he's been coming here a long time to train with Daryl Belfry. Outside of Phoenix and Detroit, Toronto is one of the places he has familiarity with.

The fact he's had a great start here and the city has obviously embraced him probably has helped.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Why should we temper our expectations. Other fans don't need to do that for regarding their stars.

we dont have that many things as leafs fans to get excited about. Matthews is the best thing to happen to the leafs in a generation.

He has tremendous upside. Babs will insulate him on the 3rd line im sure but by the trade deadline i would be shocked if he wasnt playing top 6 minutes. i can see bozak moved at the deadline to make that happen.

kadri-matthews-nylander-laich down the middle to finish the season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I refuse to temper expectations with Matthews. Kid is gonna be a star in a very short time

Unbridled Wide-eyed Optimism is the only way to look at this kid correctly, and it would be the realist approach to seeing things as they are.

Kid is a grade A stud prospect and going to be a NHL superstar.

Matthews floor is likely a PPG NHL player worst case scenario.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Unbridled Wide-eyed Optimism is the only way to look at this kid correctly, and it would be the realist approach to seeing things as they are.

Kid is a grade A stud prospect and going to be a NHL superstar.

Matthews floor is likely a PPG NHL player worst case scenario.
glad Leafs fans are getting excited. I like when our fans are happy, for all our teams

personally I'm still nervous until he actually starts producing. Like when I was watching the Czech team play this one guy was dancing around people and looking every bit as impressive as Matthews. But then the announcer said his name. Alesh Hemsky. And I immediately stopped worrying he might score because regardless how talented he looks, Alesh hemsky is missing that chromosone that leads to actually scoring

maxim affiniganov comes to mind too. There's probably a hundred examples of guys who look amazing but just never really produced

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
glad Leafs fans are getting excited. I like when our fans are happy, for all our teams

personally I'm still nervous until he actually starts producing. Like when I was watching the Czech team play this one guy was dancing around people and looking every bit as impressive as Matthews. But then the announcer said his name. Alesh Hemsky. And I immediately stopped worrying he might score because regardless how talented he looks, Alesh hemsky is missing that chromosone that leads to actually scoring

maxim affiniganov comes to mind too. There's probably a hundred examples of guys who look amazing but just never really produced

True but Matthews did go PPG in the elimination round. It means nothing until is nhl regular season but it does inspire lots of hope since he was playing against nhl players on nhl ice.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
GUSCwck.jpg

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Hemsky and Affinoganov both produced, M.A. had a 73 point season followed by a season of 61 points in 56 games, hemsky had a few 70 point seasons. They just got older and injured

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00