Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 72nd Overall (NJ) - J.D. Greenway - D - USNTDP [6-5/205]

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
One of my favourite Leafs prospects. Hoping whatever his issues were are in the past and he can focus on hockey.

He is one our lowest defence prospects not because of his recent troubles but because of his lack of competency playing the position. Hope he makes a full rebound in his school and personal life and gets a great education.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He is one our lowest defence prospects not because of his recent troubles but because of his lack of competency playing the position. Hope he makes a full rebound in his school and personal life and gets a great education.
He has a high ceiling though. His coaches compare him to Ryan McDonagh. If he reaches that or close that's s huge win.
Also playing in the NCAA gives us time with him. He's s project for sure but three gamble was worth it

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He has a high ceiling though. His coaches compare him to Ryan McDonagh. If he reaches that or close that's s huge win.
Also playing in the NCAA gives us time with him. He's s project for sure but three gamble was worth it

All young players are worth it after you draft them because what have you got to loose? I didn't like his game at all any time I've seen which admittedly isn't much. He's at a great school for learning the position.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
All young players are worth it after you draft them because what have you got to loose? I didn't like his game at all any time I've seen which admittedly isn't much. He's at a great school for learning the position.
Last year he was big for Wisconsin. He was basically scoring the pp and the pk and munching minutes regular season and playoffs.
I have to think his personal problems all affected his camp with the leafs because he did not look close to the player I saw in the NCAA playoffs
And ya agreed he's in a great spot to learn

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Last year he was big for Wisconsin. He was basically scoring the pp and the pk and munching minutes regular season and playoffs.
I have to think his personal problems all affected his camp with the leafs because he did not look close to the player I saw in the NCAA playoffs
And ya agreed he's in a great spot to learn

Ok - that's an interesting take on his poor camp - may explain a lot. He was a turnover machine during break-outs or net zone clearing attempts. His puck protection had better improve markedly - it was just too easy to take it away from him. He looked pretty good offensively and his skating was good.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ok - that's an interesting take on his poor camp - may explain a lot. His was a turnover machine whenever during break-outs or net zone clearing attempts. He puck protection had better improve markedly - it was just too easy to take it away from him. He looked pretty offensively and his skating was good.
Agreed.
It was night and day from his season. He was completely disengaged at camp.
Granato said he has been very physical since his return and they are using him again in all situations and he is a + on the year (small sample size) but he was also a plus in a 5-1 drubbing so he must be more focused than he was at camp.
Let's hope he follows Nietzsche and the philosophy: that which does not kill you only makes you stronger!!

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Agreed.
It was night and day from his season. He was completely disengaged at camp.
Granato said he has been very physical since his return and they are using him again in all situations and he is a + on the year (small sample size) but he was also a plus in a 5-1 drubbing so he must be more focused than he was at camp.
Let's hope he follows Nietzsche and the philosophy: that which does not kill you only makes you stronger!!

Overcoming personal/professional challenges could definitely add resolve and maturity to his game/demeanour. I hope the best for him but he's one of the lowest guys on my "expect to make it" lists but then I don't have many on there actually other than Lily, Kappy, Dermott, Grundstrom, Korshkov which I guess is a lot. I have hope for Timashov, Bracco, Woll but have no expectation for almost anyone else. Some players will surprise us though. Jesper Lindgren - who knows?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
One thing I like about the Leaf's current philosophy is their willingness to promote a player's well-being - as a person. The belief that a player cannot be the best he can be unless his head is in the 'right' space. We get caught up in skill sets and forget about the person behind the number. I don't think the organization is making the same mistake. Whatever J.D.'s issues have been, I cannot but imagine that he's been appreciative of the fact that the organization that drafted him has not placed undue pressure on him to be simply a 'player', but they've accepted the difficulties he's endured, whatever they have been, and he'll now be more engaged in supporting the confidence the organization has shown towards him.

Reactions: Menzinger

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Overcoming personal/professional challenges could definitely add resolve and maturity to his game/demeanour. I hope the best for him but he's one of the lowest guys on my "expect to make it" lists but then I don't have many on there actually other than Lily, Kappy, Dermott, Grundstrom, Korshkov which I guess is a lot. I have hope for Timashov, Bracco, Woll but have no expectation for almost anyone else. Some players will surprise us though. Jesper Lindgren - who knows?
Him on the probably won't make it list is highly probable. He is certainly project but I'm sending nothing but food vibes.
Is rasanen and greenway hit the word amazing would not be enough

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Greenway with the 4th goal. The Badgers have not had a good year thus far but have been playing better since the return of Greenway.

Isolation

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Ok - that's an interesting take on his poor camp - may explain a lot. He was a turnover machine during break-outs or net zone clearing attempts. His puck protection had better improve markedly - it was just too easy to take it away from him. He looked pretty good offensively and his skating was good.

By that description, he's the perfect replacement of Gardiner.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Wouldn't the OHL make more sense than the USHL (in terms of competition/development)?

I guess he is trying to get back into the NCAA after a year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Wouldn't the OHL make more sense than the USHL (in terms of competition/development)?

I guess he is trying to get back into the NCAA after a year.

Definitely not. Although all OHL teams would love to bring someone of his caliber onto their team for an OA year, Flint is not the team he should go to if he wants to have strong development and to actually have a chance get something from competition.

Even if he gets traded to a London or something, he is only there for one OA year and then we have to somehow do something with him in the ECHL or AHL (which given his lack of development time the past two years, is not a good thing for him any time soon). He goes to the USHL for one year and then we see him develop for another two years in the NCAA against older competition. Given his size and lack of development, the more time we get to look at him, the better.

Also remember, the USHL is becoming far more competitive. It's by far the best Junior A option out there, and you have to go up against the best young American talent (and often a lot of good Canadians going the NCAA route as well) out there. He is going to be older than a lot of them, but he's going to be older than everyone in the OHL as well. USHL is not quite as good as the OHL or likely any other CHL league, but it's not as big of a step down as some people are making it out to be.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
USHL is a fine development league, though I wouldn’t say this news should be well received.

Wish the guy the best, but this is a downgrade from Wisconsin, which has a great program.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kid had personal issues at Wisconsin, not a surprise. I do not expect him to get an ELC at this point.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Definitely not. Although all OHL teams would love to bring someone of his caliber onto their team for an OA year, Flint is not the team he should go to if he wants to have strong development and to actually have a chance get something from competition.

Even if he gets traded to a London or something, he is only there for one OA year and then we have to somehow do something with him in the ECHL or AHL (which given his lack of development time the past two years, is not a good thing for him any time soon). He goes to the USHL for one year and then we see him develop for another two years in the NCAA against older competition. Given his size and lack of development, the more time we get to look at him, the better.

Also remember, the USHL is becoming far more competitive. It's by far the best Junior A option out there, and you have to go up against the best young American talent (and often a lot of good Canadians going the NCAA route as well) out there. He is going to be older than a lot of them, but he's going to be older than everyone in the OHL as well. USHL is not quite as good as the OHL or likely any other CHL league, but it's not as big of a step down as some people are making it out to be.

Can he go back to the NCAA after de-committing to play for the USHL? I didn't know that was possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad