Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 57th Overall (WSH) - Carl Grundstrom - RW - Modo Hockey [6-0/180]

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Gundstrom definitely impressed me this tourny. Prior to December 26th, I had yet to see him play (other than highlights). My expectations of him were rather low, but he seemed like a top tier prospect.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
While this is true, Thommie Bergmann is a genius - It wouldn't surprise me if Hunter DOES go overseas to see games in person. He said once in a rare interview (Before the LouBan) - he's very rarely in Ontario. he's going all over Europe and everything checking players out. And someone else said you could be in the middle of no where, and you'd run into Hunter. so , lol yup! it wouldn't surprise me at all :)

haha. Lou Banariello.

Anyway I think we have very strong contingent of European scouts the Russian/eastern Europe scout is starting to really come up big for us too (or it seems with Korshkov, Sosh and Zaitsev too early to tell wwith rest of Russian prospects)

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Don't know if his offense will translate to the NHL, but I think it's clear that his play style will make him an NHLer as soon as next season (I forget if he's signed through next year or not?). He definitely has the drivetrain that Babcock loves and will keep him in the line-up once he does come over.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Don't know if his offense will translate to the NHL, but I think it's clear that his play style will make him an NHLer as soon as next season (I forget if he's signed through next year or not?). He definitely has the drivetrain that Babcock loves and will keep him in the line-up once he does come over.

if he is signed, there is usually an NHL clause so if he makes the leafs his contract status in Sweden wont matter, now if they wont him in the AHL I think his Swedish contract takes precedence and he will be back in the SHL as long as his team wonts him

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

He is uncle Leo future replacement.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

I always thought from what I had seen that he looked like he played an NHL style of play. Felt like his game will translate well.

Same question about the offense though but he seems to go to the net and that generally translates well.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He is uncle Leo future replacement.

My hope is a Hyman replacement plays similar but scoring a lot more at all similar development levels. A Hyman with a pretty high level of scoring touch, his goal scoring in the SHL is nothing to sneeze at

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
He looks like he can be a real solid middle-six winger one day.

If Nylander moves to C down the road, I can envision this line: Grundstrom-Nylander-Kapanen being fun to watch.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
with all the scoring punch we already have,i would be happy if he turned out to be a realiable 2 way player that was good at faceoffs when needed.scoring some goals would be a bonus.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
with all the scoring punch we already have,i would be happy if he turned out to be a realiable 2 way player that was good at faceoffs when needed.scoring some goals would be a bonus.

He's a winger, so I don't think he'll take many face-offs.

I think he can be a good two-way player, though.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Very impressed with his play. I don't think he's that far off from the NHL either. Seems like he's very well rounded all ready.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Plays a pretty simple north-south game, like the way he drives the net, but that wrist shot is probably his best offensive trait.

We've got a pretty nice collection of wingers coming up (Kapanen, Grundstrom, Leipsic, Korshkov)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Plays a pretty simple north-south game, like the way he drives the net, but that wrist shot is probably his best offensive trait.

We've got a pretty nice collection of wingers coming up (Kapanen, Grundstrom, Leipsic, Korshkov)

Johnson and Rychel are nothing to scuff at either. Both have been really good for the Marlies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He looks like he can be a real solid middle-six winger one day.

If Nylander moves to C down the road, I can envision this line: Grundstrom-Nylander-Kapanen being fun to watch.

If only kapanen were Swedish they could have been the Tre Kronor line.

Or grunny nylander Johnsson! The Tre Kronor line

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Id add in Dzierkals.
He will play in the NHL.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Id add in Dzierkals.
He will play in the NHL.

I agree with Dzerkals. This reminds me of when babcock was fresh and new with the leafs and he was talking about how exciting the future was looking and how we would have too many good players to choose from.
In 3 years as side from the big 3 up front, and I would add brown to the list, everyother position could be filled with different quality players.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Ya I knew he played for sweden but I'm recalling a 'Russian rocket' or the like nickname.

Found a little bio:

Born in the Ukraine, Dmytro Timashov moved to Sweden when he was 7-years old. That was when he started to play the game of hockey and hasn’t looked back since. He’s played in numerous tournaments for Team Sweden and even played a handful of games for the famous MODO Hockey Club in the SHL last season. But the fast track for Dmytro wasn’t going to be on Swedish ice. He decided to take his game to the CHL and play for the Quebec Remparts.

http://thehockeywriters.com/dmytro-timashov-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad