Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 179th Overall (STL) - Nicolas Mattinen - D - London [6-4/220]

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Yeah that's what I read but haven't really noticed when I watched London myself.

Did you like the picks today? I didn't see your comments in the draft thread. Were you taking a nap?

I have heard it all Sonny in my time, I'll take my time like the old Bull and asunder down the Hill and check them all out instead of just a couple. :naughty:

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Where did this guy play in the Knights depth chart? Top 4 D? Bottom pairing?

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Where did this guy play in the Knights depth chart? Top 4 D? Bottom pairing?

I saw London a few times live to watch Marner and Mattinen was always bottom pairing.

Good value pick and the kind that could pay off in big ways. He has that big shot, good size but not much else going for him. Hopefully Hunter will continue to work with him but that London D-corps (for next year) is looking stacked.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Mattinen is having a really good year this year in the OHL playing his overage year. We should give him a shot on the Marlies next year and sign him to an Entry level contract

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Mattinen is having a really good year this year in the OHL playing his overage year. We should give him a shot on the Marlies next year and sign him to an Entry level contract

Maybe Nmarlies sign him, but unlikely that se use ELC spot on him. Dont get me wrong i like Mattinen and i really still think there is upside on him. Just being realistic cuz se have lot of candidates for elc

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Maybe Nmarlies sign him, but unlikely that se use ELC spot on him. Dont get me wrong i like Mattinen and i really still think there is upside on him. Just being realistic cuz se have lot of candidates for elc
I'm not trying to discount Mattinen's season, but this is just a case of a guy dominating in his overage year, I don't see Mattinen actually having much pro potential. Durzi, Hollowell and Lindgren are all better prospects who are set to turn pro on the right side.

Reactions: NCoRe

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yes I believe he's no longer Leafs' property since he wasn't signed. Could be an AHL deal candidate, likely going to the Growlers for an opportunity.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I'm not trying to discount Mattinen's season, but this is just a case of a guy dominating in his overage year, I don't see Mattinen actually having much pro potential. Durzi, Hollowell and Lindgren are all better prospects who are set to turn pro on the right side.

Thats most likely the case,but one can hope right?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
6'4 rhd who is hovering just below ppg in last CHL year? I got time for that.
AHL deal, flext the Leafs money might and pay him well. Give him some ECHL seasoning if you need to, just get his skating up to snuff.

Stephane Robidas is now with the ECHL team as one of the coaches, so he will have a smart and well positioned true NHLer to learn from.

This would be my sales pitch to a ton of the CHL D who have one big weakness to overcome. We can pay you more than anyone else. We have better coaches in the ECHL than most AHL teams. If you prove yourself and we dont have room, you get more time being showcased to the world with the Leafs system than almost any other.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Yikes. I was way higher on him than I should have been. I thought he wasn't as bad a skater as he actually was, and he really hasn't improved it enough for me to even want to sign him to an AHL deal.

Someone will probably do it though after this season. Maybe stash him in the ECHL and see how he does there.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
6'4 rhd who is hovering just below ppg in last CHL year? I got time for that.
AHL deal, flext the Leafs money might and pay him well. Give him some ECHL seasoning if you need to, just get his skating up to snuff.

Stephane Robidas is now with the ECHL team as one of the coaches, so he will have a smart and well positioned true NHLer to learn from.

This would be my sales pitch to a ton of the CHL D who have one big weakness to overcome. We can pay you more than anyone else. We have better coaches in the ECHL than most AHL teams. If you prove yourself and we dont have room, you get more time being showcased to the world with the Leafs system than almost any other.
I think you're seriously overestimating the Leafs finances with ECHL and the coaching staff. What makes the coaches so much better? Money? Former players? Literally every team has those things.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think you're seriously overestimating the Leafs finances with ECHL and the coaching staff. What makes the coaches so much better? Money? Former players? Literally every team has those things.

The Leafs it seems though have invested a lot more money AND managerial attention on their ELC affiliates than the average NHL team. There’s been a few articles written about the Bears/Growlers and Dubas on the Athletic IF you’re a subscriber

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Look another fridge from Bob Vance...Vance refridgeration...that wont pan out

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pretty sure he's a UFA now right? I remember him going back into last years draft and not getting picked.

Correct

The Toronto Maple Leafs have lost three prospects back to the draft or free agency.

The 5:00 pm EST deadline came and went Friday with no signings made by the Toronto Maple Leafs, meaning three prospects have now hit the open market.

J.J. Piccinich, Keaton Middleton, and Nicolas Mattinen needed to be signed by 5:00 pm EST by the Toronto Maple Leafs if they were to stay under Maple Leaf control. As expected, none of the three were signed to entry-level contracts.

Keaton Middleton and Nicolas Mattinen will re-enter the 2018 NHL Entry Draft as overage prospects with a slim to zero chance of being selected. Piccinch will become an unrestricted free agent.

Middleton and Mattinen both went undrafted in 2018 and are now UFA players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad