Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 179th Overall (STL) - Nicolas Mattinen - D - London [6-4/220]

PoisonMushroom

I'm a fungi!
Mar 8, 2006
Eliteprospects says he only played 5 games in the playoffs. Was he injured? Scratched?

Was a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs but Hunter tends to rely on his more experienced players, which obviously worked out for the Knights. I expect Mattinen to get a lot of ice time in the next couple of seasons with London and this could end up being a great value pick. Mark Hunter would obviously know everything there is to know about this kid.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
He likely grew up a Senaturds fan!

1 complaint now registered. :naughty:

Come on man no one in Ottawa is a Sens fan ;)

b86f76f54d628d279aac12aad1e5_Content.jpg

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
I watched him play a few times last year and he looked like Londons 2nd best defenceman. Kid is a monster and boy can he move. High hockey IQ as well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Has a big shot from the point, howitzer.

Yeah that's what I read but haven't really noticed when I watched London myself.

Did you like the picks today? I didn't see your comments in the draft thread. Were you taking a nap?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You traded Olli Jokinen then, and used the pick acquired for a guy who's last name is "Matthews" in Finnish. :laugh:

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
haha maybe hunter hid him from scouts so we could draft him low. now next year he will play a ton and everyone will be shocked at where we drafted him!

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Think he becomes a regular next year in London? How are his wheels?

100%. As a knights fan I'm sure he's getting top 4 minutes (it's tough to get in the top 4 with Mete Juolevi Bouchard etc. Guy will grow into the role and be top 4 easy. Hoping dale gives him PP minutes because he has an absolute cannon.

He was so playing top 6 minutes for the first 50~ games of the season, until they went to the vets full time for the end of the season and playoffs.

Smooth skater, not explosive or strong, but it's definitely not a weakness. He's just solid all around. I feel like if London wasn't so stacked he'd be in the first 3 rounds this season easy.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
100%. As a knights fan I'm sure he's getting top 4 minutes (it's tough to get in the top 4 with Mete Juolevi Bouchard etc. Guy will grow into the role and be top 4 easy. Hoping dale gives him PP minutes because he has an absolute cannon.

He was so playing top 6 minutes for the first 50~ games of the season, until they went to the vets full time for the end of the season and playoffs.

Smooth skater, not explosive or strong, but it's definitely not a weakness. He's just solid all around. I feel like if London wasn't so stacked he'd be in the first 3 rounds this season easy.

Being a knights season ticket holder and seeing every game this year live or on tape i gotta respectfully disagree.
Big heavy shot, yup.
He slowly worked his way into lineup as a 6/7 guy rotated in. Was never a regular n benifited from some ithers injuries.
Hes got some potential, but hes gotta work on his feet. Got exposed when matched up with Fs who were quick.
Very sheltered minutes this year, as it should have been.
Im hoping he gets a look as the reg 5/6 guy next year but with
Mete, Joulevi, Crawley, Bouchard ( i expect Martinet to move on) all expected to return and ahead of him on this years squads deprh chart. Adding in Blacker and probly a vet addition im not sure top 4 is acheivable. ( Jamieson also eligble and probable to return who got minutes ahead of him but will probly be moved as an OA)
Rooting for him thou. Good size, and is progressing. Just may take until year after this in London to grab top 4 ( or get moved)

Hesa project but one definitely worth taking a shot with.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Being a knights season ticket holder and seeing every game this year live or on tape i gotta respectfully disagree.
Big heavy shot, yup.
He slowly worked his way into lineup as a 6/7 guy rotated in. Was never a regular n benifited from some ithers injuries.
Hes got some potential, but hes gotta work on his feet. Got exposed when matched up with Fs who were quick.
Very sheltered minutes this year, as it should have been.
Im hoping he gets a look as the reg 5/6 guy next year but with
Mete, Joulevi, Crawley, Bouchard ( i expect Martinet to move on) all expected to return and ahead of him on this years squads deprh chart. Adding in Blacker and probly a vet addition im not sure top 4 is acheivable. ( Jamieson also eligble and probable to return who got minutes ahead of him but will probly be moved as an OA)
Rooting for him thou. Good size, and is progressing. Just may take until year after this in London to grab top 4 ( or get moved)

Hesa project but one definitely worth taking a shot with.

Agreed on its a tough spot for him to make that top 4, but after seeing him play those minutes last year I'm sure he's gonna be able to step up this year. He's guaranteed a top 6 role (or traded as you said) but I do believe he's gonna find a place to stick in the top 4 if he can improve his speed which I don't think is as big a weakness as you do. Guys huge and I'm really hoping he keeps it up because he's a part of both my favourite teams.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Agreed on its a tough spot for him to make that top 4, but after seeing him play those minutes last year I'm sure he's gonna be able to step up this year. He's guaranteed a top 6 role (or traded as you said) but I do believe he's gonna find a place to stick in the top 4 if he can improve his speed which I don't think is as big a weakness as you do. Guys huge and I'm really hoping he keeps it up because he's a part of both my favourite teams.

I never mentioned speed. Its his feet that need work. Getting beat wide, not turning or opening up soon enough on rushes, starts n stops n D zone, changes of direction ect.

I do think potential is there for sure, but hes really gotta get those feet/head quicker for todaysgame. Lots of time thou and i dont mean to beat up on him lol.
Just see to many returning bodies ahead of him as of now (plus Blacker signing)
Id love to see him make an impact as it would make my fav team better.
Hopefully Dale roles 6 D all yearn he gets quality minutes.
He was sheltered last year.
This upcoming year will tell us more than last.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
I like Mattinen but anyone saying he's fast is wrong. If he can fix his skating, which is entirely possible, this will turn out to be a great pick, good value either way.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Come on man no one in Ottawa is a Sens fan ;)

b86f76f54d628d279aac12aad1e5_Content.jpg

I always enjoy going to my wife's family reunions in Ottawa and they start crapping on the Leafs. I let them go on and on and I only need one line to shut them all up-"how many cups you guys won again?"

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Anyone else wonder if things like that are done on purpose to shield the kid from scouts?

I mean I don't care but I can't help wonder when there's a conflict of interest with the Hunter family being involved with the Knights and Leafs.

He was scratched because there were 6 other Dmen that were better then him. He played a handful of games at forward also.

He's skating and foot work are his weak spot. He's not fleet of foot, he pivots weren't very good last year. Plenty of work to do in this area but if that's improved upon he'll make a good 4-6 dman but I see him as an AHLer.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Anyone else wonder if things like that are done on purpose to shield the kid from scouts?

I mean I don't care but I can't help wonder when there's a conflict of interest with the Hunter family being involved with the Knights and Leafs.

The won the MemorialCup. No they werent shielding him to facilitate a lateTO draft scoop.

JL described his game well above this post.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

No, it's that he was down the depth chart and Hunter went with more experienced players. Bouchard, who was Knights' 1st round pick in 2015 didn't play much during the playoffs either (and although he's younger than Mattinen he's also already better).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad