Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Brooks has been passed over in 2 drafts previously so they may have thought they could grab him later than Woll and Greenway who are in their first draft as 18 year olds. Kind of a sleeper pick if you will.
Just a thought.

This is fair. But Hunter made it clear that his philosophy is BPA. If you don't go that route, you will get burned.

“I believe you take the best player, regardless of position. I believe in that. And every time I’ve done differently (as junior owner), I never liked the outcome. LINK

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Jesper Lindgren again. Highest upside of those remaining and enough so to be significantly higher if that was the only factor.

Gauthier is a good fit too though. And Brooks.

We are speaking the same language. Well, me, you, and one other guy haha.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
How do people voting for Brooks feel confident enough that he's our next best prospect, when two players (Woll and Greenway) were selected a round before him by PROFESSIONALS just 4 weeks ago.

I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything... genuinely curious.

Each play a separate position, for one. I've never valued goalies highly myself, simply because there's not a lot of floor. A forward with top 6 upside can still turn into a reliable bottom 6er. Goalies don't have that option. Either they end up being a solid starter or bust (backups are a dime-a-dozen). I like Woll's upside. He looks as solid of a goalie prospect as any but his position puts him lower on my depth chart than perhaps most others. As well, goalies in the draft are a bit different. Once one goes, they all tend to go in short-order. Not saying this was necessarily the case, but picking a defenseman like Greenway could also have been a positional decision, given our need for defenseman. At that stage, there's not a lot of difference between #72 and #92 (Brooks) anyway.

Hunter and co. may be looking for different attributes in different picks, for another. Guys like Greenway and Woll may have solid upside but are, at minimum, 3-4 years of college away from going pro and in all likelihood 5-6 before making a jump to the NHL. Someone like Brooks, meanwhile, is going to be in the AHL next year and is coming off a 120-pt. WHL season. NHL-readiness is taken into account here whereas for Hunter and co. it probably wouldn't come into consideration.

So this is Brooks for me. I have Gauthier around 25, so a little early for him yet IMO.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I went with Brooks here, but I also considered Dzierkals and Lindgren. In pretty much a toss-up, Brooks' numbers in the WHL are easier to interpret than what Lindgren did over in Sweden, so I picked him first. :laugh:

Mr Hockey*

In my opinion, Dzierkals is much better than his stats would indicate. He has a lot of skill.

I read somewhere, out of the 2015 draft the leafs think 5 players can make it, Marner, Dermott, Nielsen, Dzierkals and Timashov.

Mr Hockey*

Lindgren deserves to be on that list too.

I think there is some tournament coming up soon, Canada,USA, Finland and Sweden and he will be in it. I think it's on TSN, it would nice to get a look at him. I have heard some Karlsson comparisons :)

Pholus

May 23, 2014
In my opinion, Dzierkals is much better than his stats would indicate. He has a lot of skill.

I agree. I think he'll earn himself an ELC.

I'll agree with this as well. He took a bit of a back seat last year when RN picked up Timo Meier, and still scored over ppg. With Meier gone, my expectation for him next season would be a 1st line winger (ideally he would be the leading scorer, but idk how much time he'll miss with injuries/national team). I think his style is similar to Soshnikov (the AHL version, not the NHL version running around almost recklessly). Good speed, aggressive on the forecheck, not as good of a shot but he's probably a better play-maker than Sosh. If RN somehow falls flat on their face, I could see him taking a regular shift for the Marlies once his Q season is over (although RN looks like they could be a contender again next year).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I read somewhere, out of the 2015 draft the leafs think 5 players can make it, Marner, Dermott, Nielsen, Dzierkals and Timashov.

Which is interesting in that they traded back from #24 to #29 to draft Bracco and he isn't on your list and then traded back from #29 to #34 to draft Dermott and then Dzierkals.

The player they drafted later is the one they have the higher hope for and wouldn't have happened if they didn't trade back a 2nd time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad