Prospect Info: 2016 Flames prospect rankings: #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Tkachuk by a long shot really. Gillies despite his high ceiling (which Tkachuk also has) is not a lock to even play yet, I'd say Tkachuk is a lock to be a top 6 regular. He's the definition of bluechip.

I'm really torn between Janko and Gillies for my next pick, I need to hear arguments.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Tkachuk by a long shot really. Gillies despite his high ceiling (which Tkachuk also has) is not a lock to even play yet, I'd say Tkachuk is a lock to be a top 6 regular. He's the definition of bluechip.

I'm really torn between Janko and Gillies for my next pick, I need to hear arguments.

I'm going Gillies next based on resumes.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Tkachuk with the majority here for sure. Not just the shiny new toy but highest ceiling as already stated

Be interesting for #2 though..

Janko vs Gillies.. vs Kylington?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I''m really torn between Janko and Gillies for my next pick, I need to hear arguments.

Gillies Ceiling: Devan Dubnyk
Gillies Floor: Reto Berra

Jankowski Floor: Carl Soderberg
Jankowski Ceiling: Jason Spezza

Jankowski is less volatile to being an impact NHLer and even good goaltenders can have huge off years where their value goes right down the drain.

Last edited:

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Gillies Ceiling: Devan Dubnyk
Gillies Floor: Reto Berra

Jankowski Floor: Carl Soderberg
Jankowski Ceiling: Jason Spezza

Jankowski is less volatile to being an impact NHLer and even good goaltenders can have huge off years where their value goes right down the drain.

Bruh Gillies has a way higher ceiling that Dubnyk. His ceiling is more like Ben Bishop IMO.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
A goalies job is to save the puck, puck handling is a luxury, it's nice, but not the reason you have a goalie.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
A goalies job is to save the puck, puck handling is a luxury, it's nice, but not the reason you have a goalie.

Doesn't change the fact that puck handling is a strong part of why Ben Bishop can save the puck.

Again, Dubnyk is a fair ceiling. He saves pucks (heck, even finished second in Vezina voting to Carey friggin price). He has mental lapses just as Gillies does. He's not a guy you want handling the puck whereas Ben Bishop can hit guys in stride with TJ Brodie passes.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What relation does puck handling ability have to the ability to save the puck?

Let's see:

1) Neutralizes the hard rim as an option on other teams' forecheck, which is a source of extremely dangerous scoring chances

2) Allows the defensemen to be in better position to break the puck out, reducing opportunities to give the puck away and create scoring chances.

3) Bishop's elite stretch pass keeps the pressure on the opponent to defend on the wrong side of the red line rather than attack

4) Minimizes defensive zone faceoffs by keeping the game flowing freely, minimizes the amount of saves he has to make through screens.

You really have to watch Ben Bishop. He'd be an elite goalie if he were 6'2" because he makes his teammates so much better before the dangerous shots even go his way. Puck handling is not a luxury. While the trapezoid has prevented it from being a go-to option like it was before 2005, it's still a huge part of what makes goalies stop pucks from entering the back of the net.

Flaming Satan

Driving into Legacy
May 29, 2014
YYC
Gotta be Tkachuk. Highest ceiling and I have some doubts about Gilles ability to become a top goaltender in the league. Starter for sure but I don't think he has top-5 potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad