Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
I'm almost certain it's down to Tkachuk or Sergachev amongst Oilers brass.

I agree with this. Tkachuk @ 4, or trade down to 7, for Sergachev. Both are OHL kids, where Mke Chiarelli is, Oilers OHL amateur scout. PLUS the fact that former Oil farm coach Rocky Thompson is Sergachev's coach @ Windsor.

I am fine with either pick, just prey if they go with Sergachev that Tkachuk doesn't end up a Flame, cause he will haunt us for the next decade.......Dude is a total pest in front of the net.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
183 days rule for tax residency, 10k/day exemption, and international tax credits.

The NHL schedule ensures that Americans on Canadian teams do not have to spend more than 183 days living in Canada, which means that they are able to claim their tax residency outside of Canada. Players earn their money across four different provinces and sixteen states. Some American cities even have city taxes on income.

Playing one game against every team, even if it takes two years to do a home and away, helps taxation parity within the league.

I'll baseline American resident playing for an American team at 0, and then the other combinations relative to that in a percentage. This is derived from Buffalo and Toronto.

1) American resident playing for an American team: 0
2) American resident playing for a Canadian team: -2.4%
3) Canadian resident playing for an American team: -8.5%
4) Canadian resident playing for a Canadian team: -4.2%

If you're playing in Alberta or BC, you're even closer to Scenario 1 due to taking home more money from lower provincial taxes.

If you're playing in Florida, Nevada (!) or Texas, then you're laughing your way to the bank. If you're a Canadian resident playing in a state without income tax, you're paying about as much as you would in taxes were you playing in Canada.

So we do have a signing disadvantage for American players, but it's not severe. Most people would sacrifice 2.4% of their total pay if it were the difference between unrewarding and rewarding work (or no playoffs versus playoffs) and a good quality of life.

American teams trying to attract Canadians who want to spend their time off in BC are at a bigger disadvantage than we are--unless they're one of the three aforementioned states.

Edit: misleading??

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
As a fan of Puljujärvi I'd be truly delighted to see him land on the Oilers since the Columbus is willing to trade down. Of course that would still cost a king's ransom. The Oilers have the pieces to make it happen.

The possibility of seeing another legendary duo of McDavid - Puljujärvi would paint up so many headlines nation wide since no one will ever forget Gretzky and Kurri. Almost felt bad on the lottery day for the Oilers not landing in to the top three.

I'm not expecting this to happen and I know you guys need defence over forwards but atleast there's always the possibility and one can dream.

I'm praying for the same. All Finnish fans will be welcome aboard if it happens :yo:. Seems unlikely though at this point.

Maybe a team like MTL trades up to #3 and takes Dubois, who knows. It's the draft, crazy and unexpected things happen every year.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
From the sounds of it, we might not be able to shore up the defence like we hoped. So with that said, how does everybody feel going into the season with potentially a largely unchanged defensive roster? Assuming we can stay healthy, of course, what are our chances?

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
From the sounds of it, we might not be able to shore up the defence like we hoped. So with that said, how does everybody feel going into the season with potentially a largely unchanged defensive roster? Assuming we can stay healthy, of course, what are our chances?

Not good.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oh please it is a little early to be contemplating this. Chiarelli made himself extremely clear that his top priority is fixing the defense. Just because a couple of teams have jumped ahead of the game on some 2nd tier defensemen doesn't mean we're doomed.

There are a handful of teams who were labeled as being the top aggressors this offseason, and none of them have pounced yet. The time right around the draft is when the real action gets started.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Would need to have good years from Klefbom and Davidson in that case (without long injuries), need RNH to produce more.

McDavid will take over games next year though, this year he was just getting by on pure talent, like Crosby and Gretzky and Lemieux as rookies. Next year is where he will begin to learn to basically take over a game rather than just playing around it and striking with sheer talent.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Top 5 pick and a second year of McDavid's ELC. The consequences would be absolutely devastating to make no moves this summer. Our D is built on maybes has beens and bandaids. No changes and we can expect the exact same result as the last 10 years.

Actually I take that back at least before the "rebuild" began we had an NHL defense. Say what you will about old 6 rings he sure knew how to build the back end. "Wow we gotta lot of defensemen". lol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Top 5 pick and a second year of McDavid's ELC. The consequences would be absolutely devastating to make no moves this summer. Our D is built on maybes has beens and bandaids. No changes and we can expect the exact same result as the last 10 years.

Actually I take that back at least before the "rebuild" began we had an NHL defense. Say what you will about old 6 rings he sure knew how to build the back end. "Wow we gotta lot of defensemen". lol

normally I would say that this is an exaggeration, but I think this may be the case. It is looking like the Pacific division will be upgrading yet again, and so it's not just that we have to make ground on our poor performance this season, but the bar for success in this division is probably getting raised again, just like last year. They added Gudbranson already, and their GM is very much in win-now mode.

Anaheim lost Andersen, but Gibson is for real. At least Andersen didn't go to Calgary, but the Flames will likely be upgraded in net compared to last season. Also of course the Coyotes added to their defensive depth and will probably be quite aggressive if for no other reason other than to reach the cap floor. Vancouver will probably add a few players.

However, I'm still very confident that we will be one of the most aggressive teams this offseason. We might not get the caliber of upgrades we really want, but the team will revamped. Also, we had a lot of injuries last year. Adding Klefbom is basically like a new player to us. We started winning a lot of games before he got injured. Also, many players emerged for us in the 2nd half. Talbot, Maroon, Davidson, and a few others. If we changed nothing we'd still likely be a fair bit better. Not enough probably, but still.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Just wanted to post my top picks before the draft. I think Laine will end up as the best player from this draft, and Dubois and Juolevi won't be far behind Matthews career-wise.

1. Patrick Laine
2. Auston Matthews
3. Pierre-Luc Dubois
4. Olli Juolevi

5. Jesse Puljujarvi
6. Logan Brown

7. Matthew Tkachuk
8. Charlie McAvoy
9. Tyson Jost
10. Luke Kunin

I would love if the Oilers could take one of Johansen or Clague with their 2nd. I think they could end up in that second tier with Pulju and Brown.

Lucas Johansen
Cale Clague

These guys I see getting to the same level as the guys ranked 7-10.

Rasmus Asplund
Boris Katchouk
Adam Mascherin
Vitaly Abramov
Jacob Moverare
Pascal Moverare
Pascal Laberge
Cliff Pu
Simon Stransky
Mitchell Mattson

I'm glad the scouts Bobby Mac polled agree on Gustavsson being top goalie. I see Gustavsson as the only high end netminder this year, followed by Woll and Sawchenko as starter quality.

Filip Gustavsson
Joseph Woll
Zach Sawchenko

Koppanen is my sleeper. He's gonna be a quality player. Kachyna I like too to develop into a solid #3 guy, possibly #2 D.

Joona Koppanen
Ondrej Kachyna

The two listed below are barely on anybody's lists. I don't think they're likely to get drafted but Dusek is at Stanstead College and needs time to develop but give him a handful of years to fill out and round out his game and there's a solid player there. Karlsen is a small guy who's built solidly, has a great work ethic and I don't think he knows how good he can be. I see a more solidly built Zuccarello with maybe a bit more offense if he tops out his potential.

Christoffer Karlsen
Filip Dusek

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Oh please it is a little early to be contemplating this. Chiarelli made himself extremely clear that his top priority is fixing the defense. Just because a couple of teams have jumped ahead of the game on some 2nd tier defensemen doesn't mean we're doomed.

There are a handful of teams who were labeled as being the top aggressors this offseason, and none of them have pounced yet. The time right around the draft is when the real action gets started.

I'm not saying that we should panic, but this is just kind of worst case scenario kind of thing to think about. Assuming everyone can stay healthy, I do believe we can leave the basement, although the playoffs are a longshot. Still hoping for a Demers signing myself.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
With zero changes on D... (not saying that will happen)... but if they can't even bring in a single upgrade on D... well it's bottom 5 yet again... but at least the new rink is shiny.

I think with all the talk of Hall/Eberle/RNH on the block (and basically everyone else available as well except for McDavid)... there HAS to be at least one new top 4 D brought in... at the very minimum... and hopefully a top 2 dman AND and top 4 dman can be brought in.

Chiarelli can't simply say... well I tried but no one was willing to deal and then roll into the new season with the same D-group they have now in place.

Klefbom should be better (hopefully)... Nurse might be better (hopefully)... Davidson might take yet another step up (hopefully)... Sekera hopefully will be as good or better than he was last season.

Then there are the other rag tag assortment of Reinhart/Fayne/Ference/Oesterle and even Clendening/Gryba/Pardy (if they are re-signed).

Maybe that group can be no worse than last season... but they COULD easily be worse as well... especially with a key injury or two yet again... which always happens to the Oilers.

That D-group is easily bottom 5 in the league now and with injuries to say either of Klefbom/Sekera... it's doomsday for the season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm not saying that we should panic, but this is just kind of worst case scenario kind of thing to think about. Assuming everyone can stay healthy, I do believe we can leave the basement, although the playoffs are a longshot. Still hoping for a Demers signing myself.

Demers is a good player to have on the horizon of July 1st. We still have the draft in between now and then, which might be the best time for us to make a few trades. I bet Chiarelli will try to make his major splash then. That's not guarantee though, so he might make a run for Demers if we strike out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
... but at least the new rink is shiny.

you know, that's not an irrelevant factor. First off, a new building helps to get UFAs, and to get other players to waive NTCs. Not a massive difference mind you, but still.

Second, we had some of the worst ice in the league last season. If we can go from that horrid surface to one of the best in the NHL, guys like Hall and McDavid will be flying. It will probably give us more than a few extra wins.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Read this on a board and its all true.

Here is a little trivia for Oilers fans. Can you guess this player?

1)He was 3rd leading scorer for their team their in the draft season.

2)He was 5th in league scoring in draft year.

3)A majority of his points were assists (of which the majority were secondary assists).

4)Was considered and average, at best, skater in his draft year.

5)was known to cheat defensively for offence.

6)Considered below average defensively.

7)Had unbelievable puck skill and scored big goals in the memorial cup.

The answer to every one of these questions is Sam Gagner and Matt Tkachuk

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

3)A majority of his points were assists (of which the majority were secondary assists).

jim-shudder-o.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Gagner has better mitts but Tkachuk is much stronger and better built for the pro game. Perhaps there's a reason or two that Tkachuk is rated much higher than Gagner was?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
That kind of comparison doesn't have much substance to begin with, but if Sam Gagner were actually 6'1 and physical, he'd be a hell of a hockey player.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Mostly coincidences and generalizations that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual abilities(specifically, size and style of game) and scouting assessments of the individual players.

Except for point number 7, Gagner never played a game in any memorial cup events. Tough to score big goals in that tournament when your team gets bumped out of the conference finals of the OHL playoffs in 5 games.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

No real surprises there, I'm just glad that the Oilers are high on Sergachev. If we do decide to move down, Sergachev would be the guy I want the Oilers taking. Only thing I would change is I would have Juolevi over Brown.

Oct 15, 2008

Still early days but if it comes to pass as you say, I would look forward to doing things other than watching hockey.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
All I know is that if they don't take Sergachev at 4 they better damn well make a trade for either a #1 dman or someone with that potential. If not the brass are absolutely clueless and we'll never see playoffs let alone win a cup on Mcdavid's ELC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad