2016 Draft Thread IV – Host: Buffalo – Pick: 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Wait...what? He WAS the 1D for Sarnia and did well in that role and spent much of the season working specifically on his defensive game.
I've seen him a couple times already going to Ice Dog games and a couple Hamilton games and he didn't really stand out from the other players on the ice. Maybe I just had witnessed off nights which seems too coincidental on multiple nights but players like Juolevi stood out and Marner especially in games 3 and 4 against the Ice Dogs. I remember seeing McDavid a couple times and you just had to watch him, he made you watch him but I just never came away from any of those Sarnia games thinking Chychrun could be a player and I know he was 1D. I'm saying his lack of progression this year was maybe that he's not right for that role and those that are expecting some steal at 8th and potential 1D are setting themsevles up for disapointment.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Chychrun when the biggest let down of any top prospect I've seen live dating back to the first year I've had season tickets for Niagara. That would by echoed by the two others that I went with as well. Although, it was definitely an off night for him on a back to back situation.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
there is a clear top 6 and they are all forwards. The team that picks a defensemen in the 4-6 range will be reaching. As for poster quieting down about Chychrun being too 2 or 3, it's because it's not a credible opinion, and even though it never really was, there is nothing for them to latch onto anymore.

In your opinion.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Credibility with regard to our individual prospect opinions isn't measured by how it aligns with the rest of the Internet.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Credibility with regard to our individual prospect opinions isn't measured by how it aligns with the rest of the Internet.

It's not measured by hopes and crossing fingers due to organizational need either,

Good news guys...the D is going to be there. Keep plugging your ears to ignore why they will be and it will all work out just great.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've seen him a couple times already going to Ice Dog games and a couple Hamilton games and he didn't really stand out from the other players on the ice. Maybe I just had witnessed off nights which seems too coincidental on multiple nights but players like Juolevi stood out and Marner especially in games 3 and 4 against the Ice Dogs. I remember seeing McDavid a couple times and you just had to watch him, he made you watch him but I just never came away from any of those Sarnia games thinking Chychrun could be a player and I know he was 1D. I'm saying his lack of progression this year was maybe that he's not right for that role and those that are expecting some steal at 8th and potential 1D are setting themsevles up for disapointment.

I remember having season tickets for the Thunder and wondering why on earth the Sabres had picked Jay McKee most nights. :laugh: There have only been a few OHL defensemen I've seen live over the years who stood out in a way that had me think they were going to be something spectacular -- Berard and Fogarty. One did, the other didn't. That players have progressed past him at this point in the draft does not damn Chychrun as a failed player.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If Nylander is available at 8 with Juolevi off the board, I have a hard time seeing GMTM passing on him

You must not have been paying attention - there's zero chance Nylander will be available since he's the undisputed 6th best player in the draft, and there are no legitimate arguments for any other conclusion. If you think there's a chance he'll be there, you're 100% wrong. There are zero other possibilities.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It's not measured by hopes and crossing fingers due to organizational need either

No, it's measured years later when we have tangible results.

Good news guys...the D is going to be there. Keep plugging your ears to ignore why they will be and it will all work out just great.

That's nice.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It's not measured by hopes and crossing fingers due to organizational need either,

Are you personally offended that posters like certain players that you don't like? These kids are teenagers - there is no right or wrong at this stage. And even if there was, why would anyone care if someone prefers a different prospect than they do? You guys are hilarious

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
I still like Keller as a potential candidate to rise into the top ten. His speed is a slight concern of mine as well, but I think that it can be addressed as he continues to add muscle to his legs. His skating technique is fine, he just needs to generate more power with his strides.

I'd be less surprised to see him going top ten than I would Logan Brown, and I like both players.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
The bolded is complete and utter bull. There was absolutely a case to be made for Chychrun as the 2nd or 3rd guy. Granted, it was at the beginning of the season before Laine and Pulju definitively passed him by.

Right, a long, long time ago. There hasn't been since January. Same thing happened last year when people were clinging onto Kylington as a top 10 pick long into March/April because of his preseason status.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Personally, I want Brown at 8. There's a bunch of defensemen I like at the end of the 1st / beginning of the 2nd that I wouldn't mind Murray adding some assets to move up from 38 to try and get.

i agree, there's a bunch of D I'm interested in for the 2nd and 3rd round. I hope we get some there as well. 3 of the top 5 picks spent on D makes me happy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Personally, I want Brown at 8. There's a bunch of defensemen I like at the end of the 1st / beginning of the 2nd that I wouldn't mind Murray adding some assets to move up from 38 to try and get.

Dineen, Quennville, Girard? Lindgren, Fox? Johansen? Allard?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I agree. He's Marner without the extra gear. I dig his tenacity off the puck more than anything.

Skill level with the puck is elite. Skating is overrated. Those types of players (small/skill) without the extra gear.... worry me.

There are too many players that are going to be available that fit our needs or have a higher floor along with a similar ceiling, to take Keller at 8.

I'm not willing to bet on him being the next Dylan Larkin. Let someone in the middle of round 1 take that chance.

What the hell is going on here. Am I taking crazy pills?nKeller is every bit the skater that Marner is. If anything, I'd say Marner is a bit ahead on hockey sense. Keller's edge work is nuts, and his straight ahead speed is as good as just about anyone in the draft.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

Honestly what kind of upside do you see in Chychrun or Juolevi? Top three? Top four? Bottom pairing? We're picking at #8 here, the posters wanting to draft one of the defenseman aren't expecting a franchise player in this spot.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Honestly what kind of upside do you see in Chychrun or Juolevi? Top three? Top four? Bottom pairing? We're picking at #8 here, the posters wanting to draft one of the defenseman aren't expecting a franchise player in this spot.

The first 3 D man drafted in recent NHL drafts. Top d man in the league are drafted high. As you can see from recent history usually top 3 d in the draft end up being impact players the majority of the time.

2008 NHL Draft

Drew Doughty- #1
Zach Bogosian- Top 4
Alex Pietrangelo- #1

2009 NHL Draft

Victor Hedman- #1
Oliver Ekman-Larsson- #1
Jared Cowen- Top 4

2010 NHL Draft

Erik Gudbranson- #2/3
Dylan McIlrath- Tweener
Cam Fowler- Top 2